JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new Browning X bolt in 7mm mag and I am starting to try out some new ammo. The Federal Trophy copper is the round I would like to use for a spring bear and then again in the fall for bear, deer, and elk. I am also going to try a few others..

1. Federal Trophy Copper 150 grain
2. Federal fusion 150 grain
3. Federal fusion 175 grain
4. Federal power shock soft point 150 grain

Obviously I am going to be seeing how these group and that will help me make my decision. I am interested in folks thoughts on using a solid copper round and if anyone has had any luck using the fusion ammo?

I have always had great luck with Hornady factory ammo. Always test a new rifle with it to see how it groups.
When I tried it out in my 7mm mag it did OK. It's the Remington long range rifle. Suppose to be real accurate.
Well I did hit a couple shots in one hole but the other two were off a little more than an inch. Someone told me it's the ammo.
Sooo to get to the point:rolleyes:, I read on line a couple places that nobody make great 7mm mag ammo,you need to reload to get great 7mm.
I did and was very happy with the results. I used burgers bullets and hogdgons h4831 but I'm sure there is better combos.
You can try out a few different brands of factory stuff but it gets expensive with a 7mm to do so
Anyway good luck with your new rifle ;)

Even though I personally don't reload, I have many family members who do and they all have 7mms. The reloaded ammo does much better because you can fine tune your rifle to your wants for range, power, and accuracy to your specific wants and needs. Just my 2 cents though. Try factory ammo though. It might end up shooting well in your gun.

I have shot a lot of smaller caliber centerfire, handgun, and shotgun as I am from the east coast so I hunted with a bow or a slug gun. The larger caliber rifle game is new to me and I plan on reloading, but like you said the factory stuff is a starting point.

I have shot a lot of smaller caliber centerfire, handgun, and shotgun as I am from the east coast so I hunted with a bow or a slug gun. The larger caliber rifle game is new to me and I plan on reloading, but like you said the factory stuff is a starting point.

Don't scoff to quick at the old "deadliest mushroom in the woods" for an off the shelf choice.
The Remington Core-lokt is a much overlooked factory round.
While not a full copper bullet it may surprise you.

I hunted the core-lokt shotgun slugs exclusively back east. At $20 for a box of five it was a killer but with a slug gun I was dropping deer at close to 200 yards.

I used some 150gr Power Shock soft points in my 30-06. I took a deer at close range, like 40 yard and the bullet went to pieces. No amount of mass was recovered and the meat was destroyed. Granted high velocity at close range is hard on bullets, but I felt it should have held together a bit better. I have been hunting with higher quality bullets since.

I use Federal Fusion 150 grain. Works great for me. I have a 7 mm Sako 75 Hunter. Barrel twist (9.5 I think?) makes a real difference. So you will have to see what works best for you. My Sako likes Sako Arrowhead 150 grain the absolute best. Go figure. And this factory ammo costs a fortune, and that's when you can find it. Federal Fusion shoots pretty close to it, and is a much cheaper alternative.

I see a recommendation for Hornady. Honrady was accurate in my CZ 550 30.06 but not with my Sako. Not a good mix.

150 grain is a little light for Elk at distance. So if you are going to be shooting 500 yards or more, you may want to stay with a heavier grain bullet. I am usually shooting 450 yards or less (actually much less since I mostly bow hunt), but I feel confident with 150 grains at 450 yards, so that's what I shoot. It definitely enough for spring bear and deer.

I use Federal Fusion 150 grain. Works great for me. I have a 7 mm Sako 75 Hunter. Barrel twist (9.5 I think?) makes a real difference. So you will have to see what works best for you. My Sako likes Sako Arrowhead 150 grain the absolute best. Go figure. And this factory ammo costs a fortune, and that's when you can find it. Federal Fusion shoots pretty close to it, and is a much cheaper alternative.

I see a recommendation for Hornady. Honrady was accurate in my CZ 550 30.06 but not with my Sako. Not a good mix.

150 grain is a little light for Elk at distance. So if you are going to be shooting 500 yards or more, you may want to stay with a heavier grain bullet. I am usually shooting 450 yards or less (actually much less since I mostly bow hunt), but I feel confident with 150 grains at 450 yards, so that's what I shoot. It definitely enough for spring bear and deer.
Very helpful thanks!

It used to be more true that reloading was the only way to unlock the accuracy potential of our rifles. Nowadays there are premium loadings from all the big players that are harder to eclipse by reloading. I would be surprised if you couldn't find a factory loading that would go 1 moa or better in that rifle. In 7mm mag I would look for loads using 160 gr Nosler accubonds or the tried and true partitions. Those two bullets in the 160 gr weight have always shined in my 7mm's.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top