JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bad year for hurricane's and fires...it happens. With inflation the damage numbers will always get bigger. It will costs more dollars in 2018 than in 2017 to do the same work. So was the damage worse than other years or is it just costing more to fix?

The gooberment shutting down kills web sites?!!! :confused:o_O

The main NOAA site is up, but when I try to go to the National Centers for Environmental Information site I see:

n0em9M7.jpg

The Federal employee folks responsible for an alleged or actual shutdown of the Internet due to the Federal Government shutdown should be instantly terminated with prejudice, lose all benefits including retirement and returned to civilian life.

Plus a lifetime prohibition from ever gaining Federal employment.

I am waiting for insurance companies to come to the Fed for bailouts. The fires in Santa Rosa and Nampa alone would bankrupt most. They invest a lot of the money taken in premiums and many don't have large enough cash reserves to cover that size loss. My engineer wife is already working on rebuilding several high end estates in the area but so far for wealthy people that will just sign a check and deal with insurance later.

Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Martin.
The later two are devastated and I honestly don't know how they could ever possibly recover.

Those who are Watchmen on the Wall....pay close attention. It is happening right in front of our eyes

So was the damage worse than other years or is it just costing more to fix?

It would appear to be a combination of the variety (hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, huge wildfires, hailstorms, et al.) and sheer number of natural disasters as well as the attendant costs. Some excerpts from the article.

NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information tallied 16 natural disasters that each caused more than $1 billion in damage. Together, the disasters shattered the previous single-year record of $214.8 billion in destruction that occurred in 2005 when hurricanes Dennis, Katrina, Rita and Wilma wreaked havoc on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts.

"In 2017, the U.S. experienced a rare combination of high disaster frequency, disaster cost and diversity of weather and climate extreme events, as billion-dollar disasters occurred in 6 of the 7 disaster event categories we analyze," the NOAA report says.

"In addition to the historic hurricanes, the U.S. had an extraordinarily damaging wildfire season burning more than 9.8 million acres," according to the NOAA report.

The height of the wildfire season happened in October when a series of historic firestorms ripped through Northern California's Wine Country and beyond, destroying more than 15,000 homes, businesses and other structures and killing 44 people.

The report also analyzed the cost of a parade of tornadoes that plowed through the Midwest and Southeast in February and March, and a prolonged drought in North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana. Other natural disasters adding to the historic price tag were hail storms that pounded Minnesota and Colorado, severe flooding in Missouri and Arkansas in April and May, and a deep freeze that ruined agriculture crops in the Southeast in mid-March.

It will be interesting to read the actual report. Presumably, it will be available when the government shutdown has ended. When I have located said I will post a link. Cheers.

Last Edited:
My wife just got the first building permit issued by Napa county to rebuild a burned house. It is owned by the owner of the house of prime rib on Van Ness in San Francisco. An old famous and wonderful restaurant. We got some dinners as a bonus.

Last Edited:
I am waiting for insurance companies to come to the Fed for bailouts. The fires in Santa Rosa and Nampa alone would bankrupt most. They invest a lot of the money taken in premiums and many don't have large enough cash reserves to cover that size loss. My engineer wife is already working on rebuilding several high end estates in the area but so far for wealthy people that will just sign a check and deal with insurance later.

Maybe they remained solvent by the following strategy: Short the Dow, sell off massive stock investments to pay the claims + a "reserve fund." Let the Dow fall, then buy back the stocks at the much lower price with the "reserve fund." When the market recovers, they make all that money back. :rolleyes:

My wife just got the first building permit issued by Napa county to rebuild a burned house. It is owned by the owner of the house of prime rib on Van Ness in San Francisco. An old famous and wonderful restaurant. We got some dinners as a bonus.

Lol at the house of prime rib. I haven't been there for a long time. Probably never go back considering how I feel about SF.

We should take CA out of the statistics because who honestly wants to rebuild that place?

Lol at the house of prime rib. I haven't been there for a long time. Probably never go back considering how I feel about SF.

We should take CA out of the statistics because who honestly wants to rebuild that place?
I have a son that is a contractor in the east bay and my wife's engineering practice is heavily involved in California. We are very successful taking all those California paychecks. It is truly incredible how much money is there and how freely it is spent. We don't go back often......the magic of the information/communication age and as crazy as many Californians are, there are still many good people caught up in the insanity.

Have driven through the Napa, Sonoma And Lake County fire zones, unfreakin' believable. Sad thing is Lake County is the poorest County in CA. Almost a third has burned over in the last decade and in the last few years they have lost 1800 houses with only 10% rebuilt. That means a huge hit to the county budget in property taxes. Their only likely solution is a sales tax increase. 1 out 4 people in the county are disabled so it's a big ole Shyte sammich for the county despite the 65 wineries and stunning Clear Lake in the middle.:(

Brutus Out

Have driven through the Napa, Sonoma And Lake County fire zones, unfreakin' believable. Sad thing is Lake County is the poorest County in CA. Almost a third has burned over in the last decade and in the last few years they have lost 1800 houses with only 10% rebuilt. That means a huge hit to the county budget in property taxes. Their only likely solution is a sales tax increase. 1 out 4 people in the county are disabled so it's a big ole Shyte sammich for the county despite the 65 wineries and stunning Clear Lake in the middle.:(

Brutus Out
Lake county has always been a welfare haven.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top