JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do currently for one of my guns but only because it was the only thing available to me at the time and I haven't been able to replace it yet. I believe it is more meant for Home Defense to keep over penetration in a house situation from occurring.

off topic:

whats the consensus on speer gold dot HP? for my .40

I use Speer Gold Dot rounds and they work fine for self defense. I have an XD40SC so I use Speer 180gr for short barrel rounds. But they also make 40 caliber rounds in non-short barrel rounds as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

off topic:

whats the consensus on speer gold dot HP? for my .40

Speer Gold Dots are one of the better options on the market. My short list would be:

- Speer Gold Dot
- Federal HST (Note: Federal and Speer are both owned by ATK. They are similar.)
- Winchester Ranger T
- Winchester PDX1 / Supreme Elite

All of the above use bonded bullets. Bonded bullets come into play when the round hits something hard. The bonding process basically takes jacket separation out of the equation, so the round maintains momentum and penetrates as well as possible after hitting a barrier (such as an arm extended in front of the bad guy's torso, or auto glass). Speer uses a low flash powder, which is ideal since most defensive shooting events happen in low light.

All of the above have been in LE use long enough for their bullet construction to have been very thoroughly street tested. Consensus is that they all do exactly what they are supposed to. Rounds recovered after real world events are said to look just like the pictures from promotional material. When these rounds are deformed, it's generally worse for the bad guy, because that tends to mean that they hit bone or some such, and opened up even more than usual on a given side, producing a really wicked shape. Because they hold together, that is a recipe for pain.

My preferred .40 rounds are Speer Gold Dot 180gr or Winchester PDX1 180gr. Admittedly, I am biased toward heavy-per-caliber. The 180gr rounds in .40 tend to be loaded with less powder than their lighter/faster counterparts, so they tend to be a little more controllable, and the weight helps them penetrate well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top