JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup....
All those orphaned 4473's had to go somewhere.
But they swear its not, 'searchable'. Lol.

Don't count on the government to suddenly become efficient with digitizing and searching 4473's. Won't happen in most of our lifetimes, now the grandkids…. That might be a possibility…
Maybe, but think about how many FFLs are not using a paper form. The work is being done for them in the guise of a convenience

this has been going on ever since you had to fill out a form to buy a firearm, I am old enough that I remember not having to fill out a form, pay your money, take your receipt and gun and leave. simple as that.

My name is dead center in the middle of the alphabet so I'll wait and see how it goes when they come to get all those other guy's guns first. :s0155:

This is not new, Plenty of reports of ATF knocking on doors and handing US citizens a detailed list of Guns for you to surrender.

I have never thought my stuff was not registered.

Don't count on the government to suddenly become efficient with digitizing and searching 4473's. Won't happen in most of our lifetimes, now the grandkids…. That might be a possibility…
I work in big tech, and I can say with full certainty that technology has advanced to the point that volume is no longer the same hurdle it used to be. When it comes to physical records all they have to do is scan the doc and it becomes a searchable digital record. Scanning is done in bulk, and extremely quickly. That's a surprisingly easy technical feat, one that has been around since the early 2000s.

The issue of volume doesn't just apply to paper; digital records of massive quantity can be indexed, searched, and linked very easily. Purchase and sales records from businesses are stored electronically, and are searchable. Banking records are stored digitally, and are searchable. Firearm & accessory manufacturers maintain databases of firearm components, images, and specifications, which are searchable. Digital communications such as email, chat, public postings, and private messages are all archived, and are searchable. Video and image records are archived and can be searched for specific matches using facial recognition, gait recognition, object recognition, and pattern recognition technologies, all of which have gotten extremely accurate thanks to advances in AI, machine learning, and improvements in image quality. The overwhelming majority of smart phones contain virtual assistants, which can record all conversations that happen within proximity. Audio recordings are able to be transcribed automatically with a high degree of accuracy, even to the point of registering sentiment (rough emotional state) of the person speaking.

These are all real capabilities, and they've been around for years. And these systems are no longer as isolated from each other as they once were. We now live in a world where digital storage is infinitely scalable and far cheaper than physical storage, where APIs can interconnect vast warehouses of data, where massive volumes of information can be analyzed and cataloged in minutes with minimal human effort, where data lakes enable users to query disparate sources of information all at the same time, where linkages can be made and patterns identified from the most obscure sources.

In other words, for the first time in human history it is technically possible for a determined entity to identify nearly every person who bought any firearm or component of a firearm, who sold or traded those firearms or components to whom, who took photos of those firearms and/or components, who used firearms or components on video, or who spoke about or referenced firearms or components near a virtual assistant in the last few years.

To be clear, I am NOT saying the US government is actually doing this right now. It's not my intent to make people paranoid, and I'm not spouting conspiracy theories. I just think we need to recognize the reality that it is now physically and technologically possible to do these things, and therefore a matter of serious concern. After all, if the capability exists today, what are the odds that it won't be exploited tomorrow, or next year, or 5 years from now?

Yeah, I thought the general complaint about federal government was rooted in inefficiency.

In other words, for the first time in human history it is technically possible for a determined entity to identify nearly every person who bought any firearm or component of a firearm, who sold or traded those firearms or components to whom, who took photos of those firearms and/or components, who used firearms or components on video, or who spoke about or referenced firearms or components near a virtual assistant in the last few years.
Oh boogers, my goose is cooked for sure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top