JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, just got a question about federal fusion and your experience with it. Back story..

Got my Tikka t3 30-06 a couple years ago and I've only ever shot fusion through it. It was recommended by the guy at fishermans and I liked the price. Problem is, I was plagued by light primer strikes. I tried different boxes, and it would shoot great, until it went click. Multiple times. Took the firing pin out, cleaned everything and it would still do it randomly, twice with a buck in the scope.

I replaced the firing pin last year because it seemed to make a pretty weak click when dry firing and haven't had a problem since.

Odd thing is, I just built an AR 308 and it ran 6 boxes of white box federal 762x51 flawlessly and I had 2 light strikes when I loaded it with *drumroll* federal fusion.

I'm to the point where that's too much of a coincidence to think it's my Tikka, and I'm starting to trust it more. I won't be buying any more fusion and do the right thing, which is, try several types to see what the gun likes best.

I guess I'm looking for opinions on this matter. Anyone had this issue with fusion before? How many issue free rounds need to go through the rifle before I trust it again and do you think it even was the ammo or do I have 2 guns with the same freaking issue?

Q: What did the primers look like? Were the indentations light and shallow?

If it is a light strike, then it is likely the gun and not the ammo.

The ammo could have hard primers, but not likely with hunting ammo - especially federal hunting ammo.

Q: What did the primers look like? Were the indentations light and shallow?

If it is a light strike, then it is likely the gun and not the ammo.

The ammo could have hard primers, but not likely with hunting ammo - especially federal hunting ammo.
Yeah, with both guns the primers looked like they barely had a dent in them I'd assumed the primers were pressed in just 001 too far or something. Having no knowledge of reloading, I didnt know if this is possible.

Oddly enough, I just read multiple posts regarding tikkas having problems with leupold base screws hindering the bolt and causing light strikes. I had leupold bases until I just got Warnes. We will see.

Yeah, with both guns the primers looked like they barely had a dent in them I'd assumed the primers were pressed in just 001 too far or something. Having no knowledge of reloading, I didnt know if this is possible.

It is possible that the primer could have been set too deep but that would require the pocket be too deep, otherwise the primer would have been compressed and still not been too deep. Unlikely IMO - generally a firing pin will handle such circumstances? I've not come across primer pockets that are too deep (either reloading or purchased ammo), or primers that were too hard, although I have heard of the latter with mil-surplus ammo (especially from overseas).

I had a DW revolver that had the occasional light strike on DA. I sent it back to DW and they fixed it, no problems after that.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check for scratches on the bolt.

I never did send it in to Tikka although I should have. I put the new guts in the bolt and if I keep having an issue I'll send it in. Maybe it's a headspace issue?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check for scratches on the bolt.

I never did send it in to Tikka although I should have. I put the new guts in the bolt and if I keep having an issue I'll send it in. Maybe it's a headspace issue?

It could be, you can check this the redneck way with scotch tape. Keep putting layers on the case head til you cant close the bolt. Shouldn't be more than 2.

I was reading about the bolt/screw issue. A guy was thinking the gun didn't go i to battery. I don't think thats possible and still getting the striker to fall. Otherwise, we would all be blowing cases all the time.

If I take the bolt apart to check/clean it, should I leave it all dry or lube it. I'm reading both regarding bolt internals. I'll try the tape trick

I dont put anything on or around the firing pin that will slow it down or gum it up, especially if you hunt in cold weather.
So, tried the tape trick. Bolt closed tight with 1 piece, wouldn't close with 2. Took the pin out and compared with the old pin and the weird thing is, they look slightly different. I don't know if Tikka redesigned the taper at some point or what but the old pin had a longer taper to it than the new one. Ran some solvent down the inside of the bolt and put it back together with no lube. I have 3 boxes of federal to run though it before hunting starts. If I get 1 more ftf, she's going to Tikka and Ill be using the AR.. Which apparently has had 2 light strikes too. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll keep you updated.

So, tried the tape trick. Bolt closed tight with 1 piece, wouldn't close with 2. Took the pin out and compared with the old pin and the weird thing is, they look slightly different. I don't know if Tikka redesigned the taper at some point or what but the old pin had a longer taper to it than the new one. Ran some solvent down the inside of the bolt and put it back together with no lube. I have 3 boxes of federal to run though it before hunting starts. If I get 1 more ftf, she's going to Tikka and Ill be using the AR.. Which apparently has had 2 light strikes too. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll keep you updated.

I hope it works out. I've heard horror stories with Beretta's customer service.

federal primers are soft.

very unlikely but, could this be a delta L problem? maybe my understanding of delta L is opposite of what i mean... idk.

i had a similar issue with my handloads once in my brothers savage 30-06 where he would get "light strikes" which ended up being my fault by not seeing the primers all the way and it was as if the firing pin finished seating the primers.

i backed off the resizing die just a little bit so i didnt bump the neck back as far, i made sure to clean EVERY primer pocket from now on and for SURE seat every primer properly instead of get complacent(which is a no no when reloading). learned from my mistake.

never had an issue after that.

also, for safe measure i put a wolff xtra power firing pin spring in it even though i never had an issue after properly seating my primers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top