JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought it was legal for foreigners to possess firearms - rent them at a range etc.

• Australian man living in Hawaii on an H-1B visa has a rifle in his garage. And federal law makes it a crime to knowingly possess a firearm while being an alien admitted under a nonimmigrant visa. But wait. Does that mean that government had to prove the man knew his visa was "nonimmigrant"? Just so, holds the Ninth Circuit. (But this guy totally knew, so conviction affirmed.)
18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(5)(B)

PER CURIAM: Along with felons, illegal aliens, and other specified groups, Congress proscribed nonimmigrant-visa holders from lawfully possessing a firearm. 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(5)(B).
But to be penalized for violating this law under 18 U.S.C. § 924(a)(2),
Congress also required the nonimmigrant-visa holder's knowledge of his "relevant status" as a prohibited possessor.
Rehaif v. United States, 139 S. Ct. 2191, 2194 (2019)

I know the run range next to Wades in Bellevie had at least one person commit suicide at their range. if a person that does not at least one gun with them I don't believe they will let your rent a gun.

All permanent residents (aka green card holders) are legally allowed to posses firearms. I am one of them. Background check usually takes longer than it does for citizens (legal status has to be confirmed by US Immigration Services). That is the only difference.

As someone who has many friends who are immigrants as well as US citizens, one would be surprised at number of immigrants who own firearms. Most of my immigrants friends own them.

SO this brings up a thought. In Oregon a Brother or Step Brother is someone you can transfer a firearm to without a BGC. If I hand my step brother who is Scottish and a subject of the Queen of England like my wife (she has dual citizenship being the daughter of an American Serviceman born in a Private Hospital in England) Is he OK to shoot a few rounds?

SO this brings up a thought. In Oregon a Brother or Step Brother is someone you can transfer a firearm to without a BGC. If I hand my step brother who is Scottish and a subject of the Queen of England like my wife (she has dual citizenship being the daughter of an American Serviceman born in a Private Hospital in England) Is he OK to shoot a few rounds?
I am not a lawyer. I had to navigate through US immigration laws to get my green card (Ph.D. educated with high 6-figure paid job and they gave me tough time and I had to spend over $15K on lawyers to get GC), so I did learn many laws and rules. If I was on a temporary visa I would stay on a safe side and not ever touch a gun. I would not take a risk. If one has dual citizenship including US one, then one can have as many firearms as he/she can afford and shoot as many rounds of ammo as she/he can buy.

I know the run range next to Wades in Bellevie had at least one person commit suicide at their range. if a person that does not at least one gun with them I don't believe they will let your rent a gun.
That happened multiple times to that poor place. When I was reading it in the news I kept feeling bad for the damn owners.
It made other ranges change the rules to keep from ending up in the same pickle. My place put the same rules in after several problems elsewhere. If you want to rent you have to either be with another person, have another gun with you, or be a member.
First time I ever remember hearing of something like this was in the 70's IIRC, The Ward's store near me sold guns. Guy walked up asked to see a gun, put a bullet in it and shot himself there at the counter. Store got out of the hand gun business after that. I bought a Mod 59 from them that was on sale since they were closing them out. Later bought a 1911 from another store in that same Mall that also decided they no longer wanted to sell handguns.

You ARE allowed to own firearms in the US even purchase them as i did when i was a NON immigrant alien on a visa. I also brought my firearms from canada to the US with a nice big stamp of approval from the ATF. BUT...you need to have a hunting permit or be here for a competition. The 10$ hunting permit was easier to obtain and easier to maintain until i eventually obtained my green card.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top