JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The FCC will review (May 18, I think) some proposed rule changes for these three radio services and, if adopted, could be a good thing for many users.

FRS would be given the current 22 channels used on most FRS/GMRS radios and be able to use 2 watts of power.

Changes would give 30 new frequencies to GMRS, keep the license (and fee), but increase the life of the license to 10 years

Both services would be able to use digital data modes for things like GPS and short text messages. Plus other changes.

Here's a good summary of the possible changes and this is ARRL's take on the topic.

The FCC will review (May 18, I think) some proposed rule changes for these three radio services and, if adopted, could be a good thing for many users.

FRS would be given the current 22 channels used on most FRS/GMRS radios and be able to use 2 watts of power.

Changes would give 30 new frequencies to GMRS, keep the license (and fee), but increase the life of the license to 10 years

Both services would be able to use digital data modes for things like GPS and short text messages. Plus other changes.

Here's a good summary of the possible changes and this is ARRL's take on the topic.
Thanks for the heads up and the links! It looks like they really are redefining things for GMRS and FRS. I'm currently licensed for ham and GMRS. I hope they automatically extend my license to the ten year when my five year expires.
What's exciting about this is that we will be seeing a whole new category of GMRS\FRS radios that will be more versatile. You won't have to spend a gazillion dollars on a Garmin if you want to send location or text messages to another HT. Wow!

If this all goes though, I, too, am looking forward to seeing what new products are offered in both the FRS and GMRS areas.

As a CERT, our basic radio is (and likely well remain) FRS, but with more frequencies, more power, and more features we'll have a better lowest-common-denominator radio.

It will also provide an incentive for me to get a GMRS license. Previously, between FRS and Ham radio, I really didn't see a need or much value in paying for a GMRS license. But new frequencies and more features.....sure, I'll go for it.

I've always liked the GPS-sharing capability of the Garmin Rhinos, but couldn't justify the cost. Hopefully there will be more competition and more choices in the future for this service.

Roger that. The Garmin rhino is neat but I'd rather spend the money on other things. I would recommend getting the GMRS license though since they aren't eliminating it. If you do CERT, it will just boost your creds.

Well, GEMRS has limited use among Portland NETs...... only one neighborhood is officially using it (with all members licensed). My team officially used FRS only.

I think we'll stay FRS-only until the market evolves new radios and at a low cost. For many team members, spending money on a radio has been a low, low priority and despite the proposed 10 year life for a GMRS license I think it will take some time for PDX NETs to buy into new equipment and a license.

My interest in GMRS would be more for outdoor activities than NET/CERT work.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top