JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So thanks for posting @The Heretic , I'll get to reading the entire doc later this evening. Here is something that sticks out to me in the first paragraph:
The FBI has designated 40 shootings2 in 2020 as active shooter incidents. The FBI defines an active
shooter as one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a
populated area.

Ummmmm, by that definition aren't most shootings outside of domestic violence "active shooters?" It seems to me at first glance that this allows them (FBI, etc.) to cherry pick the data. For example, wouldn't most gang violence (that they don't like to talk about) fit this definition?

I always thought of an "active shooter" was anyone trying to kill me with a gun compared to a "passive shooter" who is standing next to me at the range. Hmmm. Thanks again for posting...you supply good reading material, seriously.

So thanks for posting @The Heretic , I'll get to reading the entire doc later this evening. Here is something that sticks out to me in the first paragraph:
The FBI has designated 40 shootings2 in 2020 as active shooter incidents. The FBI defines an active
shooter as one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a
populated area.

Ummmmm, by that definition aren't most shootings outside of domestic violence "active shooters?" It seems to me at first glance that this allows them (FBI, etc.) to cherry pick the data. For example, wouldn't most gang violence (that they don't like to talk about) fit this definition?

I always thought of an "active shooter" was anyone trying to kill me with a gun compared to a "passive shooter" who is standing next to me at the range. Hmmm. Thanks again for posting...you supply good reading material, seriously.
They go on to list criteria that they use to exclude certain shootings.

I appreciate the posting and the info it provides, thank you. However, my nit
pick is with the term "active shooter". And mainly because the bias anti-
gun media focuses on it. For me, any person with a weapon putting others
in danger is an active shooter. Just call them a "shooter".

So read the entire report, thanks again @The Heretic for posting. A few useful takeaways for pro 2A discussions and self protection:
  • Many (24 of 40) incidents were in locations of commerce open to the public, these also seem to be one one of the most deadly locations (31 killed, 81 wounded). Likely due to the proximity of the attacker and higher difficulty of escape (no information provided on "gun free zones").
  • In these locations, one attacker was killed by LEOs and two were killed by armed citizens and a security guard. Takeaway - your are more likely to save yourself than wait for police
  • In total, four will killed by on duty police in all areas yet four were also stopped / killed by either civilians, military (sitting in traffic, rammed with his vehicle) and off-duty officers. Officers did engage others as well.
  • Open spaces were involved in 10 of the 40, yet only 3 fatalities...easier to flee. Takeaway - run to safety, don't just run
  • None of the 40 incidents (this year anyway) occurred in houses of worship, educational institutions, health care. The first two likely due to COVID restrictions.
Not provided by gleaned from report:
22 used handgun only
8 used rifle only
1 used shotgun only
2 used handgun and rifle
1 used handgun and shotgun
1 used rifle and shotgun
1 used all three
4 used unknown weapons
1 used a suppressor (unknown if lawful possession)
1 wore body armor
Total:
26 handgun
12 rifle
4 shotgun

And now for my statistics and data rant.
I think there are some good takeaways as self defenders from reports like this. Since most of use are more likely to be caught in this type of situation rather than in say, Chicago over 4th of July weekend, it is more relevant to me anyway. But as for overall data, it is derived from very subjective criteria (which they do acknowledge). Such as not including 1) gang violence, 2) drug violence, 3) domestic issues. Umm, that is where all the killing and dying is happening. Chicago over the 4th, over 100 shot and 16+ killed. One town, one weekend. This report represents about .2% of all homicides.

These data are cherry picked by the anti-gun crowd (e.g. rifles are over represented in these particular conditions compared with overall homicides and shooting). The implication is that this is where people are dying from shootings but it is really not. Only 38 total killed in the entire country using these data sets. Bet we could match this using the following criteria:
Hi-Point firearms, in cities over 200,000 population, on Saturdays, when the moon is in the 7th house.

Over the past years they have lowered the number of victims needed to qualify as a "mass shooting".

The term is defined as the murder of four or more people with no cooling-off period but was redefined by Congress in 2013 (when BO was President) as being murder of three or more people.

Over the past years they have lowered the number of victims needed to qualify as a "mass shooting".
And in this study, this criteria was not even used. In some cases there were not even any victims according to the report.

On August 1, 2020, at approximately 10:15 p.m., an identified male, 73, armed with a handgun, began shooting in​
the Tin Cup Campground within the Salmon-Challis National Forest in Challis, Idaho. There were no casualties​
reported. The shooter was killed by an off-duty law enforcement officer at the scene.​

It seems like there could be literally hundreds if not thousands of cases like this around the country in a year.

And in this study, this criteria was not even used. In some cases there were not even any victims according to the report.

On August 1, 2020, at approximately 10:15 p.m., an identified male, 73, armed with a handgun, began shooting in​
the Tin Cup Campground within the Salmon-Challis National Forest in Challis, Idaho. There were no casualties​
reported. The shooter was killed by an off-duty law enforcement officer at the scene.​

It seems like there could be literally hundreds if not thousands of cases like this around the country in a year.

I seem to remember not seeing the term "mass shooting" in this report.

I seem to remember not seeing the term "mass shooting" in this report.
Correct, they have a different definition for what they are reporting. To their credit they explain what they consider at the beginning of the report. The do discuss that some could be considered "mass killings" and include a comparison for prior years. Based on what they are using it seems that it would be extremely difficult to be consistent from year to year. Still some good information to glean from the report.

The term is defined as the murder of four or more people with no cooling-off period but was redefined by Congress in 2013 (when BO was President) as being murder of three or more people.
Depends on who you are talking to at any given moment and the current narrative spin.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top