JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was looking into piston options for an AR and came across what looks like an interesting alternative. Is this just a solution to a non-existent problem, maybe. The AR platform rifle is an excellent rifle in its own right but I think there is some room for improvement. I am not trying to start a debate on the merit of the rifle or what is best/worst. But apparently many others think there is some room for change, note the amount of stuff to improve your rifle out there.

The things I personally don’t care for regarding the AR platform and would like to change with regard to my personal “perfect” rifle. Please keep in mind I am a lefty so some of these items are specific to that.

1. I don’t like DI and prefer a piston system. It makes the gun run cleaner and make maintenance easier. It also provides gas options for running suppressors.
2. I do not care for the charging system; a side bolt handle (AK / HK) is preferred.
3. Would not be terrible if brass went out the other side of the gun.
4. If I wish to change cal it would be nice to change the bolt and barrel, not the entire upper, and be able to do it fast.
5. Wish the AR came with ambi safety (I know easy fix).

So with that in mind I am always looking for something a little different. I have always loved the AK platform (it has weaknesses also) but have sold all of my AK’s and shifted to the 556 as my primary platform. But a few days ago I came across what looks like another interesting alternative to the AR.
FAXON arms is building an upper receiver that utilizes a piston operating system, a forward non-reciprocating bolt handle, monolithic upper with quick barrel change options (only two cal for now) and you can order it to eject out either side and just have to rotate the bolt. BTW the bolt uses fewer, thus larger, lugs than the normal AR bolt. The upper pins right onto your current AR lower. I think I may have to jump and find out if this thing really works. It seems to address all the things I find wrong with the normal AR. At the very least it is interesting.

The Robinson Arms XCR is a great rifle as well. Also, you change the barrel and bcg and you can shoot 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45, 6.8 SPC, and they are releasing 300 blackout this year.

The Robinson Arms XCR is a great rifle as well. Also, you change the barrel and bcg and you can shoot 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45, 6.8 SPC, and they are releasing 300 blackout this year.

Almost no point in releasing .300 Blackout right now. Getting bullets for reloading is almost as expensive as the loaded rounds (if you can find them.) I'm finishing up a .300 Blackout pistol build and I have one box of twenty to my name right now.

ARAK21_folded_2911web.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads