JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are so many and most of them have been listed above. The one I most recently watched was Tombstone and it's one of my favs.

But the one that tops my list?

Big Jake.

Not a big fan of westerns, but there are a few:

True Grit (the remake, I liked it better than the original)
Dances with Wolves (if that qualifies)
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I'm sure there are others, but names escape me at the moment.

There are so many and most of them have been listed above. The one I most recently watched was Tombstone and it's one of my favs.

But the one that tops my list?

Big Jake.

+1 for Big Jake! I even named my dog "Big Jake"

20140703_155125.jpg

What however qualifies a TRUE Western? Is is it a movie that takes place in the TIMEFRAME of what is considered the 'classic' Western era (1860s - early 1900s) and in the region of the Western US? OR is is ANY movie with a classic Western 'theme' yet takes place in ANY era (EG No Country for Old Men)? You decide.

Just watched it. Are you saying the Winchester was out of place, as the main character was from America.

On second thought, I remember one of the sons had a double barrel shotgun and he pulled out some plastic looking spent shells.

No, the Winchester was best supporting actor!

It was the mosin in the scene were he confronts the riders taking the girl. Did not fit with mid-1800's germany

DtaocBc.jpg

What however qualifies a TRUE Western? Is is it a movie that takes place in the TIMEFRAME of what is considered the 'classic' Western era (1860s - early 1900s) and in the region of the Western US? OR is is ANY movie with a classic Western 'theme' yet takes place in ANY era (EG No Country for Old Men)? You decide.

Cowboy hats, cowboy boots, horses and cows, Winchesters, SA and percussion handguns. "Saloons" and swinging doors too.

Not mentioned yet
"Chism"

"Sons of Katie Elder"

"Comancheros"

Although anything Clint Eastwood or John Wayne is automatically a fav for me.

Too many to pick just one. Rather watch a western than any of the modern garbage on the idiot box.
The Duke, Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Randolph Scott, James Coburn, Audie Murphy, James Stewart........and many more I will remember after I hit submit post.
And I enjoy all the old western series too. The rifleman, Marshall Dillon, Rawhide, Have Gun, Will Travel, Wagon Train.
My wife says my obsession with old westerns is unhealthy. I tell her I was just born 150 years too late.:D:D

Anything by Kurosawa. It's surprising how many of his movies are a direct/purposeful parallel to true western Westerns.. Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven.. yada. love it
Star Wars is a classic Western

This is because Kurosawa's films came first. The American Westerns were just adaptations of his screenplays tailored to the American market! :D

Wonder how long it will be before we get some more westerns out of hollywood? Used to be a lot of stars who did westerns.

Tom Selleck is good now and the guy who played opposite of Ed Harris in Appaloosa is good too..

Too many to pick just one. Rather watch a western than any of the modern garbage on the idiot box.
The Duke, Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Randolph Scott, James Coburn, Audie Murphy, James Stewart........and many more I will remember after I hit submit post.
And I enjoy all the old western series too. The rifleman, Marshall Dillon, Rawhide, Have Gun, Will Travel, Wagon Train.
:D:D

Yup. Well said.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top