JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My bushcraft/survival knife is a Bark River Bravo I, and my other is a Gerber Yari II. I had a scrapyard yard guard, and while it was tough as nails, it was too big and heavy for my liking. I'm sure one of their smaller models would have been a good fit, but I wanted to try out the Bravo, which so far I like.

I have a custom, one off knife made for me by Shane Sibert of Sibert Knives - Handmade Bladeware. As far as I know, it is the only one in the world. I have used it in every type of condition and deployment you can think of. The only thing left to do with it is to cut the devil himself… and it may just do that too. Thanks for a great knife Shane.

Any pictures? Love to see one (or more:)

SOG Seal Pup, was my vest carry down range, great knife. But in survival mode i will have more than just this on my person. I will also have my benchmade Auto, leatherman multi tool, and a swiss army knife.

Gerber LMF II. built in sharpener (scabbard), holes to attach as spear point, stout enough to chop wood, use as hammer, clean fish, etc.... a bit heavy for carrying all day but if I could only have one knife, this is one of the tops.

2 Moras:
1 carbon steel w/black plastic clip on sheath, black rubber handle with red plastic ends (also great for prying bottle caps) worn clipped to pocket lip or the top edge of waders when fishing
1 stainless w/hi-viz orange sheath, black rubber handle with hi-viz orange plastic ends (see above note re:caps) as back-up in the pack, to loan to someone who forgot a blade or as primary in salt or brackish water environments.
Still can't break the habit of including in the pack my old primary carry which is a Benchmade Nimravus Cub. This would be by far the best for batoning, digging and other critical situation survival tasks where you are using a knife to accomplish tasks that shouldn't really be done with a knife.
In actual cutting and slicing tasks like cutting fishing line, prepping veggies, cleaning fish or game and just plain whittling a stick the Moras are unbeatable. Comfortable grippy handles. Waterproof plastic sheaths that drain and don't trap H2O against the blade. Thin blades with narrow scandi grinds may not be the toughest but they take a monster sharp edge with little effort and hold it really well. Will even still cut pretty effectively when "dull" by my standards due to the wicked thin edge geometry when compared to most "survival" knives. Destroy it or loose it is no biggie, got a back up in the pack that weighs nearly nothing costs nearly nothing and I doubt I could loose the orange one if I tried unless I suffer a severe case of blindness... in both eyes. The carbon bladed model is also great for flint work which can't be said for the other 2.
I got my Moras from Ragnar of Ragweedforge.com for between $10-15

m9_buckphrobis_01.jpg

m9_buckphrobis_02.jpg

M9 PHROBIS III.
its a knife,its a saw, its a wire cutter,its a screw driver, its a bayonet for the end of my m-4.

I bring two. My USMC full size Ka-Bar and a Gerber ASEK LMF II.
Two of my favorite fixed blades too. Also think the M9 is a great choice; think that fitting it to the end of your rifle/carbine/shotgun might well prove to be a giant asset. For folders I pack around a Buck/Strider (would like to find something a bit more svelte for EDC) as well as a little Spyderco Ladybug.

U.jpg

It totally depends on what you are planning to use your knife for.

<broken link removed> makes some of the best knives that you can find. The Fällkniven F1 and Fällkniven S1 are two of my personal favorites. If you want the most knife for the money I would recommend a knife from Mora, I like the Mora 2000 and Mora Bushcraft Forest myself.

The Swiss Army Knives from Victorinox and the Multi Tools from Leatherman are also excellent options.

Longer article about different types of Survival Knives: Sibi Totique: Survival Knives

+1 on the Glock with the double milled saw on the back. It takes a beautiful edge, especially for a blade that thick ( I have shaved with mine). Easy to sharpen, light, feels right in the hand. I have had mine since the late 80's - it is my car "get home" kit knife. I'm not a Recon Marine (don't even play one on TV) but we used to go camping often and it proved to be most useful for the associated chores . Glock + Swisschamp = all I would need except a gun. Then again, a gun is useless for cutting bacon, making a fuzzstick, cutting rope, etc. I also have a Ka-Bar pattern Bowie, which lives in the other car. No doubts regarding its utility if I had to walk home due to some unfortunate incident like earthquake, etc.

I Love the basic K-Bar; good all-round knife, and not expensive.
I also have a Gerber LMF, probably best if it's the "only one".

While downrange I carry a Camillus 4.5 inch boot knife as a hider, a Gerber Mk II on a drop-leg panel (with my M9), and an M7 bayonet on my vest.

K-Bar and LMF are good compromise-survival knives; they are basically "slashing", not "stabbing" blades. The Camillus, Mk II and M7 are all dagger-style - better for penetrating cloth and sliding between ribs into flesh. Oh, and you can slash with them too. However, they are not strong "camp" knives. The M9 bayonet is like the K-Bar: Better for slashing/hacking than stabbing.

If you DO carry a bayonet (to attach to a rifle), carry at least one other knife, in case you lose the rifle during a melee'.

I also carry a Leatherneck Wave as a pocket knife: Big & clunky, but I can open the blade with one hand, and without having to fully open the tool as (you do with most multi-tools), just to get a blade out.

By the way: Most of the troops now carry just a 3-4 inch folder, a Gerber Multi-Tool (issued in RFI), and no bayonet.

Field-craft is almost dead in the Army.

Home for good in July!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top