JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is your favorite reloading software?

I just started really getting into reloading about 8 months ago and I'm curious about what other people are using for keeping track of their reloading data. Right now I'm just keeping notes in a notebook.

-Scott

wow I must be sloppy compaired to you guys I just put a lable on the box with load charge , sometimes date but most of my reloades get shot within a month of loading so only date stuff I dont use alot. I have never kept a log just a sheet with favorite loads for this gun or that gun does that count. Is there a big need for more info ????

Sierra Infinity 5

Infinity is an exterior ballistics program for small arms.

Infinity Suite includes the Infinity exterior ballistics program, additional Reloading Data programs to calculate all the cartridge and reloading data included in the 5th Edition printed manuals, and the Reference materials from the 5th Edition printed manuals.

Infinity is the fifth version of the Sierra Bullets exterior ballistics program. We believe you will find this to be the most complete and user friendly ballistics program available. This software program computes all essential elements of the trajectory, in 1 yard (or meter) increments, of any bullet that has a Ballistic Coefficient referenced to the "G1" drag function, and for any set of firing conditions.

These firing conditions include muzzle velocity of the bullet, elevation (or depression) angle of the gun barrel, altitude of the firing point, wind conditions at that location, and weather (meteorological) conditions at the firing time.

The trajectory parameters calculated by the program include velocity, energy, momentum, drop relative to the extended bore line of the gun, bullet path height relative to the line of sight of the shooter, wind deflection of the bullet, and time of flight of the bullet. All are computed versus distance from the muzzle as the bullet flies downrange.

The program outputs a list of all these parameters and provides graphs, which the user can select, of velocity, energy, drop, bullet path height, and crosswind drift.

But I don't really use it.....

join ammoguide for 20 bucks you get more info than you can use including a rechamber guide cartridge compairator and all the reloading data and it is constantly updated or for the same 20 you can buy one reloading book that is out of date by the time it was printed.

I write all my load data on an envelope, then put the ammo in it. When I'm done shooting I cut up the targets and put them in the corresponding envelopes. Then when I get home I write the best group, and group average on the envelope. I'll probably run out of space eventually so I'm also looking for programs to use. I found one but haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.

Sierra Infinity 5

Infinity is an exterior ballistics program for small arms.

Infinity Suite includes the Infinity exterior ballistics program, additional Reloading Data programs to calculate all the cartridge and reloading data included in the 5th Edition printed manuals, and the Reference materials from the 5th Edition printed manuals.

Infinity is the fifth version of the Sierra Bullets exterior ballistics program. We believe you will find this to be the most complete and user friendly ballistics program available. This software program computes all essential elements of the trajectory, in 1 yard (or meter) increments, of any bullet that has a Ballistic Coefficient referenced to the "G1" drag function, and for any set of firing conditions.

These firing conditions include muzzle velocity of the bullet, elevation (or depression) angle of the gun barrel, altitude of the firing point, wind conditions at that location, and weather (meteorological) conditions at the firing time.

The trajectory parameters calculated by the program include velocity, energy, momentum, drop relative to the extended bore line of the gun, bullet path height relative to the line of sight of the shooter, wind deflection of the bullet, and time of flight of the bullet. All are computed versus distance from the muzzle as the bullet flies downrange.

The program outputs a list of all these parameters and provides graphs, which the user can select, of velocity, energy, drop, bullet path height, and crosswind drift.

But I don't really use it.....

Yeah, it's $59.95 + shipping and version 6 is now out. You can find it a lot cheaper on ebay or amazon. Disclaimer: I haven't seen or used it.

Anyone try, PointBlank v2.0 free ballistics software, I loaded it this weekend. Had a little problem getting load data to update in the ballistic spreadsheet. Other than that, it has everything I need.
Now to load all the data from my binder into the software.

I'm a noob at reloading, but I've just been using a spiral notebook to record the case length, powder, charge, bullet weight and Manufacturer, the OAL and comments on the reload. That way I have an entire sheet of paper dedicated to that particular reload.

I guess that is OK? Didn't know there was software, but since I've been through about 6 different computers....the others crashed, the batteries failed to charge and were unavailable, the screen separateded from the laptop keyboard (DELL), the Hard Drive took a crap and nothing was recoverable, soooooo; I use paper.

I'm a noob at reloading, but I've just been using a spiral notebook to record the case length, powder, charge, bullet weight and Manufacturer, the OAL and comments on the reload. That way I have an entire sheet of paper dedicated to that particular reload.

I guess that is OK? Didn't know there was software, but since I've been through about 6 different computers....the others crashed, the batteries failed to charge and were unavailable, the screen separateded from the laptop keyboard (DELL), the Hard Drive took a crap and nothing was recoverable, soooooo; I use paper.

PointBlank has several ballistic calculators and facts I don't keep in my log book. And I backup all my data on USB memory cards.(and also keep the log book).

A bit off topic but I recommend a USB external HDD for laptops. Plug it in every night to the laptop. For desktops, just another HDD does great.

Get Cobian Backup 10 for free, and set it to back up your important files every day at 2:00 AM. I keep ALL of my important docs in My Documents so I only back up that and my desktop where I keep a few things .Even my .pst file for Outlook is in My Docs. This proggy works like a champ. I set it to keep 2 backups, so it deletes the oldest every night. Every once in a while I move one of those backups to another folder so it doesn't get deleted, and I then have an old one I can look through if needed.

Download Cobian

I've been reloading for a while and all my stuff is in notebooks, all hand written. At first I enjoyed having this tangible "thing" that came from work, experimentation and good ol' trial and error. While I have never shown my actual notes to anyone, it is somehow my way of, for lack of a better term, bragging to myself and reminding myself of the effort involved in truly "dialing in" a load tailored to your firearm. The flipside of that coin is that when I trade a particular firearm, that notebook represents a lot of wasted time. For whatever reason I am overly romantic about my reloading. Obviously, at the very least an Exel spreadsheet, if not actual load data software is practical in 2012. I believe I will eventually get software, but continue my notebooks for nostalgia's sake. It will be good to have a hard copy for when the Irani's kill the power grid. Kip

I don't see that as a bad thing. In the back of my mind is SHTF, and what I would do without my computer. The more I think about that and my reloading being a bit more primitive; I'm glad I keep the notebook.

I keep my load data and notes on an Excel spreadsheet and e-mail it to myself when I update it. If my computer has a problem, I can access my e-mail from anywhere there is a computer. I also store my "keeper" targets with the load data written on the target in a small 4"x6" photo album. It is good for refrence and bragging rights...

I have a few but favorite is ( on target precision calculator )
is what it says
you can add all load data like you would expect
With this program you take a picture with, camera, phone, or scanner
set your aim point, mark bullet holes, analyze save to file, print etc

What I do is take my shot up targets, make notes on the target, put the label I always make as I am at the load bench
powder / primer / COL / seat depth etc. on the target, take a picture, or run through scanner,
import the picture to the on target program, analyze, save the file. AND print 2 copies, one for my reload log and one for my range log so i have in 3 places, pictures, group analysis, load data, notes works great for me
all files can be imported to excel for those of you smarter than me ..dont color outside the lines

I have two. Point Blank is great. I especially like their target marking feature. No more shelves of books full of targets, just a bunch of "bytes" that don't take up as much room and are easier to find;)

My second piece of Software isn't free but it also isn't terribly expensive. Around $65 gets you "Load from a Disk" which is both an Internal and External Ballistics program. Not as complex as Quick Load but more than adequate for those that are "Starting Fresh" on a cartridge. Allows one to store data along with firearm ID's etc. With this program you can enter the water capacity of a case, enter bullet info, OAL of finished cartridge, and it will give a suggested selection of powders. Select the powder and it gives a chart of charge weights, speeds, and pressure estimates. Only downside is that it shows pressures as CUP values rather than PSI. Not an issue with me but for some??? I've found that the data produced by this program is amazingly accurate. Predicted speeds for a given charge have chronographed within as close as 5 fps and never more than 15-20 fps off.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top