JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering what some of your favorite reactive targets are?
I was hoping we could keep it shooting range oriented and not stuff like starlings, squirrels, etc. I am not opposed to killing animals, I just want a list of creative targets that are range appropriate.

I currently shoot a lot of spent shotgun hulls at 20-50 yards with open sights on my 10/22. I usually shoot with a friend and we make a little game out of trying to shoot the hull the other shooter is aiming for. if you hit a hull low enough they really fly. Usually, enough jackholes leave their spent shotgun shells on the ground where I shoot on public land that I don't have to worry about bringing a few along.

If I am shooting from a bench I like to shoot plastic thumbtacks that are stuck in the horizontal beam of a target stand. I usually use a .17 HMR for this because it does less damage to the stand if I shoot low.

The .17 HMR is great with eggs, but I stopped shooting them because of all the dang flies the next day.

In the winter I'll plink ice cubes, again with rimfire.

If I am shooting my .38 or 9mm, I like shooting tin cans (not pop cans) and trying to shoot under the can.

I have heard that generic Oreos can be fun, but I have never shot them.

I have tried the metal reactive targets from Bi-Mart, but they are pretty yawn-inducing after awhile.

So, what do you guys shoot?

Oh, and please clean up after yourself and try to shoot on a tarp if you are on public land. I don't think all the litter target shooters leave behind helps keep gated roads open.

I guess I should have said that I was interested in SAFE shooting activities. I'm not saying that anything you did was super unsafe, but I'm not really into shooting anything without a solid background directly behind the target. I know, I know, you said there was nothing but mountains, and hills, and fields, and no people or roads for miles and miles around.

But an apple on a bayonet right inline with the barrel is not a target I want to waste my time "aiming" at.

Thanks for playing.

LOL at frisky....

I remember growing up I loved shooting empty shotgun shells as well. I would head out to a field and shoot clumps of dirt with my pellet gun which was a lot of fun if they were dry enough. Shooting clays with a shotgun is great!

I love chasing an empty plastic bottle with my pistol a lot.

Shoot milk jugs filled with water with either a rifle or a pistol hollowpoint.
In college we used to pick up a case of off brand root beer, drink a few and use the rest as aluminum pigeons. Shoot a can of root beer with birdshot and it gets messy fun.
Cheap shaving foam when it meets a blast of birdshot in the air... its hard to go back to clays.
Dead cars are fun.

Charcoal brickets work well with no cleanup.

I'm a big fan of milk jugs filled with water. These are great for long distance shooting.

A can of Silly String "deploys" nicely when hit. Anything foamy and compressed (shaving cream, foam cleaners, etc.) work well.

Shasta Soda costs $1.25 for a 6-pack.

Turning phone books into confetti is fun. Duct tape about 8 or 9 together. (It takes 12 Salem books to stop a 7.62x54R.)

FRUIT!

Come on! Exploding targets, two-inch-squares sold in a ten-pack at gunshows and internet sites. A huge bang and a cloud of white smoke! Heck, they even have self-stick backs so you can attatch them to anything! They used to be cheap, but who knows nowadays? There is no bigger laugh than an unsuspecting friend introduced to exploding targets!

Speaking of friends and targets, I had a rural pal who was woken up every Saturday morning hangover by Jehova's Witnesses at his door. They would not take a closed road gate and a growling "no" for an answer. Finally, he shot the heck out of one of their propaganda books as a target, and nailed it to his gate---he was never troubled again.....................elsullo :s0114:

I like to use soda cans. Shake them up good before setting them down too. They explode really nice. :D Only downside is they are all sticky when you go to pick up your trash. I hate when people leave their litter.

Side note: I'm very happy to see that everyone has referenced cleanup. This is a huge topic for us to be mindful of...

I hate going out to the woods and finding an old TV, microwave, propane tank, or barbie full house left behind.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top