JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's the Python with a SW 686+ and Ruger SP101. This is me using photos to get back on topic ;)
357 collection.jpg

Favorite and first. It's not the best or most expensive handgun I own, but damn if it's not a smooth shooter and work of art.

I got it from a dingy pawn shop in Florida around shortly after my 21st birthday for $500. I'd heard of Hi Powers, but I wasn't really sure what it was. It was only years later did I learn that there aren't many HP's in the states with FN roll marks, and even less with this high gloss finish.

_DSC1590.jpg

A long time ago I owned an AMT Automag II 22mag and it was awesome to shoot but not super accurate, so I traded it towards the SW 624 that I still have today, which is accurate and a real tame kitten for teaching others how to shoot.
Geeze! It was so long ago that I forgot I had one of these! It was a blast to shoot, literally. That sucker barked and threw fire like you wouldn't believe. It wouldn't feed CCI ammo worth a darn. Federal and Winchester worked well, but were more difficult to find. Either way, the 22 Mag isn't nearly as cheap to shoot as a 22 LR and ya can't cut costs by reloading, so it eventually went down the road. I don't remember how accurate it was, but I'll always remember the giggles I got shooting it.

A pre-model 27 (6", I believe) that had a bit of holster wear, bloody beautifully slick; I was just too ignorant to recognize it at the time. Probably traded it off for lunch money or a tank of gas :)

knocabout_ad.jpg

Not necessarily my favourite, but perhaps most memorable. My first pistol. I traded an 'official' NFL football and a Playboy cigarette lighter for it about 1970. The bore was pitted, and the ejector was broken (used a piece of fence wire to push the empties out). Lots of great adventures, though...

Just the first of many that I have since sold or traded off and now lament. If I had one chance to tell something to my nine-year-old self, it would be "don't ever sell a gun you even sorta like".

True favourite is so hard... Probably my Colt 1991 Commander significantly modified (non-permanently) for my carry. WWI era backstrap, Argentine 1927 hammer, Wilson trigger, converted to .400 Corbon with an Ed Brown barrel and link. Best ever until ammo became unobtainable.

Or maybe it is the Davis derringer in .32acp. Yes, I've seen it panned in a current thread about worst guns, but mine has now spent over thirty years in my pocket with 'test firings' every other month or so. Never fired in anger or panic, not pretty anymore, but still 100% reliable as of the first Saturday of this month. It isn't that .32acp is my fave round, but two Winchester Silvertips that are there any time I haven't had to travel by air (and a number of times I did back in the day) are certainly my favourite security blanket.

Last Edited:
After owning a Smith & Wesson Sigma as my first 9mm, I decided that double action only wasn't for me. So I was in the market for either a CZ75 or Browning Hi-Power and this one came along first. It's my all time favorite, but so hard to choose!
1601269758846.jpeg

Left the manufacture out as a courtesy. Some here get instantaneous diarrhea from reading the word alone. Didn't want to ruin any armchairs for those armchair commandos!

Need someone to take that 44 of your hands, I'll give you a dollar.
Taurus, Taurus, Tauru! Best little guns on earth! I own 3 different models.
Have owned three other models, never a problem

My favorite was P64, I gave it away, but it was bad bubblegum! My current favorit is my 92 AF 9MM. Taurus did a great job on this gun!

They copied Beretta fairly well.

Taurus, Taurus, Tauru! Best little guns on earth! I own 3 different models.
Have owned three other models, never a problem

Have you shot guns from other manufacturers much? First time I've seen someone actually claim Taurus makes the best guns on Earth. Funny stuff.

They copied Beretta fairly well.

Have you shot guns from other manufacturers much? First time I've seen someone actually claim Taurus makes the best guns on Earth. Funny stuff.

I was trying to get some gun snobs goat lol. I have owned others mainly Soviet block Makaroves, a CZ which was great!. Just now getting back into guns and would like to try an XD by Springfield, shot one once and was pleased.
I prefer all steel guns like the old Makarovs.

I was trying to get some gun snobs goat lol. I have owned others mainly Soviet block Makaroves, a CZ which was great!. Just now getting back into guns and would like to try an XD by Springfield, shot one once and was pleased.
I prefer all steel guns like the old Makarovs.

LOL, well it got my attention. I was actually kinda feeling sorry for you. :D

Favorite I never should have sold: Belgian Browning Challenger .22 auto with 6.75 inch barrel. (Stock picture shown below) Just don't leave the top of your thumb where the slide can come back and take off your skin. That SOB was so accurate (once you learned how to use the big blade sight) it was almost scary. I replaced it with a Ruger MK-II, but there was something about that Browning. It just never missed what you pointed it at.
BelgianBrowning22.jpg
Favorite one I own now: I only have old-school weapons because well...I'm old as dirt. It's a toss up but probably the S/W Model 4506.

EDIT: One good way to figure out your favorite handgun is if your house was ablaze and you could only take ONE of them. Just one. Which one would you snatch and run out of the burning house with. It's a good test. Mine would be the 45. It has better grips and a glow in the dark sight. I have a Lady Smith in 357, but it's stock and easier to replace. So, yes. The 45, even though I shoot it rarely these days, is my favorite.

TargetPractice.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews