JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey gang,
We usually like to give to a charity or two during the holiday season. What is your Favorite or preferred charity? If any. Read the Salvation Army is pretty bad on how they spend donations. Would you prefer homeless or needy charities or law-enforcement and/or public services?

We prefer to give to local charities that cater to Veterans (they are out there you just need to search for them). Because many of the national Veteran charities are riddled with corruption we will not support them.

We give a chunk to Doernbeckers Children Hospital every year.

FYI-
The Salvation Army has ridiculously low overhead costs with one of the best donation use ratios of all the charities, as well as holds recipients accountable or they get cut off.

One of my charities is the red cross blood drives. I have given somewhere between around 30 times and I get free cookies and juice. Lately I have been referring to them as the vampires but honestly I think thier cause is worthy.

We give to, and I've recently done more after this crazy hurricane season, to the Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS). We've supported various other charities over the years, but that is the one we've most recently given to.

We give a chunk to Doernbeckers Children Hospital every year.

FYI-
The Salvation Army has ridiculously low overhead costs with one of the best donation use ratios of all the charities, as well as holds recipients accountable or they get cut off.
I give a small donation every week payroll deduction to are company charity they Divi it up to different things but most goes to the Ronald McDonald House Charity's children's hospitals are always a good bet because when you have a sick kid the last thing you need to worry about is money

Local animal shelter gets most of our donations.
I am a strong supporter of new family Dogs down on Johnson Creek Blvd. I would save them all if I could but that kind of thought process only leads to many of the problems we fight.
My dogs and cats are the benefactors of my life's choices. They are my kids

Warfighter Outfitters

This is a small non profit that takes veterans on various outdoor outings, fishing, hunting, prospecting all at no charge to the veterans. It is ran by a disabled veteran who was seriously wounded in Iraq. There is no administrative staff, just him and some volunteers. They have a several nice boats, couple of tow vehicles, camping gear and that stuff, it is ran out of Brett Millers house in Sisters.

They have been running steelhead trips on the Lower Deschutes lately. I think they took out over 75 veterans in the last few weeks. They are truly touching the lives of veterans, and every dollar goes to the mission. i have grown tired of all the non profits and there high "administrative" costs, (salaries for officers) and the low percentage of dollars that makes it to the cause.

You can talk to Brett directly, he is a great guy and works hard at what he is doing for these veterans. Low overhead and donations make this work. Well worth your consideration.

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/WerPlzWb/warfighter-8-1-16-for-email_hd.mp4

I have strong opinions on this.

I do my charitable giving thru my Church.

For secular
1. Habitat for Humanity - a hand up, not a hand out. Your time, and sometimes material is also appreciated. Local (relatively) they have branches all over
2. Northwest Medical Teams. Response to disasters and the offer treatment trips - ie bring dental care to an impoverished area for a short time.

NWFA can always use a few bucks.

OFF and other 2nd Amendment organizations.

Mike Rowe has a FaceBook TV Show that showcased several (8 ish) One in the Portland Area, 2 Others helping Vets.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/q=mike rowe returning the favor

Kings for the Kids
Kings for the Kids

One other thing - check with your employer, many match donations.
You can set up Amazon.com to give a donation (start at smile.amazon.com) This is no cost to you - and they may remind you to log in - that is the trick. I have given about $50 this past year just by my using the Amazon site.

What are my concerns. Money usually.
How much (or %) is for further fund raising efforts (often most of the collections)
How much do the senior staff get paid?
US President gets 400k -
American Red Cross CEO is over 500k.
Wayne LaPierre gets about 10 times that ( 5 million - is the NRA a charity? )
Charity Highest Paid | Charity Top Compensation | Charity Ratings | Charity Rankings | CharityWatch

Here are a couple sites to start your evaluations
Charity Navigator - Alphabetical Listing

Charity Ratings | America's Most Independent, Assertive Charity Watchdog | CharityWatch

Last Edited:
You really can't trust any charity. They only have to give something BS like 3-5% to their cause. Most of them pad their parties, private jets, and pocket books.

If I had to give to something I would choose Dornbecker or St Judes.

But I don't give to charities. I do like to give back to Veterans though. I do it directly and anonymously.

I can't write it off, but that's not the point.

When my family goes to eat and I see a Vet eating. I ask the waitress for their tab and pay it. I ask them not to say who it's from and just tell them the community paid for their meal and Thank them for their service to this country.

Last time was at a pancake house in Redmond. An old Vet came in with his daughter it looked like.
They just sat as we were about to leave. So I bought a $30 gift card and wrote a note Thanking them for their service.
Had the waitress give it to Him.

It feels really good, and I can only hope those amazing men and woman feels the love of their greatful community. Especially the Vietnam Vets that were treated so poorly by the liberal idiots in the 70s.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top