JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an appreciation of department store brands. I have my first .22 rifle, a J.C. Higgins. That was Sears brand of that era.

Some others that come to mind...Western Field, Coast to Coast, Ted Williams, Western Auto, Revelation, Hawthorne, and the list is much longer. These guns were made by a major gun manufacturer, and by agreement, were privately branded for the retailer selling them.

My J.C. Higgins always shot incredibly well. A simple single shot bolt action, and cocking was performed by pulling the bolt knob. Taught youngsters like me to make every shot count. At 50-cents for a box of shells, we didn't waste them.

In the heyday of department store guns, you could order a gun from the Sears catalogue and have it delivered to your front door.

Here's a link to many private brands, and who the manufacturer actually was. Many of these brands we've forgotten.

Last Edited:
Remington 513-T Trainer is my favorite. It was the most accurate 22 I ever owned and It shot well with almost any ammo. The size and feel of it was more like a high power rifle as well. The trigger was super crisp....darn it, why did I sell that again!:s0153:

Made in or around 1910, and acquired by me in 1990. BSA Model 2, single shot and, uniquely, a take-down, so made by Alexander Martin of Glasgow.

1570466832743.png
1570466933867.png
1570467015680.png

1570466964447.png

Made in or around 1910, and acquired by me in 1990. BSA Model 2, single shot and, uniquely, a take-down, so made by Alexander Martin of Glasgow.

View attachment 622875
View attachment 622876
View attachment 622878

View attachment 622877
tac: VERY Cool Rifle! Mine is a Winchester 67A Boys Rifle that my Folks bought me in Germany, after I won a Turkey at the local Rod and Gun Club outside Darmstadt. It looks nearly Brand New, in spite of having several Thousand Rounds through it. It's also the Rifle I took my First Squirrel with. He was about 60 feet up a Tree and made the mistake of sticking his head out!

Not a "bolt action" per se, but it's a cool single shot .22. And not a real rarity either, but it was unique to me. Remington Model 6, "rolling" falling block single-shot .22 rifle with a knurled thumbscrew for 2-piece takedown.
Remington No. 6 Rolling Block Rifle (Rem. No. 6)

My uncle handed it down to me in the 70s because I was the only shooter in the family. I crafted a short buttstock for small people when my son was born, keeping the original safe for reinstallation later. Taught him to shoot with it, and it was dead-nuts accurate even with the cheapest ammo.

When my uncle became a grandfather, I gave it back to him to pass along to his boys. Fond memories of that unique rifle, good people and fun times.

Can't find a pic in my own collection, so here's one from the interweb.

wm_2261156[1].jpg

Last Edited:
My Mossberg 144SLB. At our last rimfire match high score for the day was 100-9X with an Anschutz high-zoot single shot with scope to match. Second place was 100-8X with my Mossberg with factory peep sights. The Anschutz was fed $75/brick ammo, the Mossberg was getting CCI Standard Velocity. It just shoots!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top