JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Carrying a firearm and all the other EDC stuff that many of us tote around daily can require putting extra thought into clothing choices. The Wrangler cargo jeans I love have been discontinued, so it's time to find something to replace them with. I appreciate them because of the large cargo and cell phone pockets, the poly/cotton blend that allows them to dry a bit faster than 100% cotton if they get damp, the belt loop placement which doesn't interfere with my IWB holster, the large leg openings which fit around my ankle trauma kit, and the deep cut openings of the main front pockets that keep my knife and flashlight out of the way when I reach for items in the bottom. Even better, they were less than $25!

I'm interested in knowing what clothing items, pants in particular, that others have found which help solve the problems of stowing lots of EDC gear comfortably.

Honestly lapolicegear pants are awesome. I do industrial inspection, they hold up really well. Vertx are really really nice but cost 2x more. I'm cheap and care free kinda person.

Cargo packets with mag pouches, aka cellphone and knife holder. Gusseted crotch for easy movement.

I could go on. I recommend LA police gear

My casual wardrobe runs mostly to button shirts for cover and cargo pants to accommodate the junk I carry. A couple pair of old Wrangler cargos have served well and I wouldn't look at others if Wrangler came in more colors.. In the past year, I've made some test buys, two pair each of cargos from Propper, LA Police Gear, and Galls. All were a cotton poly-blend, and all under $25 because I caught them on sale. They were all well-cut from seemingly good material. I only found one brand that disappointed.

The cargos from Propper were comfortable to wear, but had short, impractical zipper flies. I also had to immediately re-sew one poorly fastened waist button. Maybe that's why they were at sale price.

The ones from LA Police Gear are made from somewhat lighter-weight material, but OK. I did like their pockets. Be aware, though, that their waist size is exact and the stretch waist allowed no extra give. That could mean they are cut a bit smaller than true size, or my waist is a tad larger than true size. ;)

So far, I like Galls the best. Their cargos were comfortably cut and the waist has a sturdy rivet-style button. I ordered my exact waist size, they fit well, and the stretch waist still allowed sufficient "give" when needed for an IWB holster. That could mean they are cut a bit larger than true size, or that their stretch strategy is attuned to IWB carry.

Duluth Trading Co....

DuluthFlex Fire Hose Relaxed Fit Cargo Work Pants.

These are my company issued work pants, and I wear them everyday, all day. They also have several different versions.

At the risk of being labelled a Ted...

my daily work pants are in fact, 5.11's. I wear the Tac Lite Pro pants. They have many qualities I like:

- HUGE back pockets, I can put my metal ticket book in the back pocket of one, or half a tool box worth of tools, including an electric impact gun.
- Diamond gusseted crotch and room in the thighs - I've got thick thighs and these pants are far superior, comfort wise than typical jeans or BDU pants
- Pocket on the left thigh originally intended for the Nokia phone issued by a lot of agencies, it also is the perfect size to hold a full size double stack pistol magazine, or two 8 round 1911 mags. Velcro closed pocket, no one knows whats in there unless they're a "gun guy"
- Similar sized open top pocket on the right thigh - perfect position for my working knife to clip into. Can also stuff a flash light, socket wrench, extension, or other similar tool there.
- The fabric dries pretty darn quickly compared to denim or other poly/cotton blends.
- Light enough for summer wear comfortably, warm enough for the average winter day.
- Sturdy belt loops and plenty of them keeps the belt from shifting, pants from sagging, and they're wide enough and strong enough not to pop off - a problem I had with BDU's, Carhartts, and jeans when I wore them.
- Button + zipper closure keeps things nice and secure
- Elastic waist band allows a little flexibility if you have a "fat day" :p
On top of that, they outlasted every pant I tried except Carhartt for daily work wear when I drove a tow truck. I typically get a year of hard use out of a pair of 5.11's, whereas I'd wear thru Dockers, Dickies, Wranglers etc in 6-8 months. The ripstop material the 5.11's are made out of helps this, I think. The typical point of failure for my 5.11s is the crotch. I wear thru them almost exclusively. I've had one pair that split the arse out, they were too snug (I'd gained weight) and I squatted down to change a tire then had a blowout of my own :oops: Otherwise I'll wear the crotch thin in about 12-14 months.

Typical price is $45 per pair. If you make an account with the 5.11 store you get 10% off when buying thru them.

Bought three pair of the Propper pants off of Amazon when they were regularly $29 a pair. They lasted about three years with moderate work. But, they stained easily and they frayed easily.

Replaced them with CQR from Amazon that are now $29.98 a pair. Only had them a few months but are holding up well. Reminds me I need to order another pair.

I liked the Blackhawk tac pants I always bought from LAPG but the crotch always ended up ripping open on me within a few months and they were kinda tight on my thighs.. didnt mind so much since they were only about 25 bucks on sale, but still prefer not ripping and more comfort.

I tried out the LAPG version also worth noting they were a bit snug on my thighs and calves, so if you are anything like me and not chicken legged I wouldn't suggest them. They also ripped in the crouch.

Without sounding like a tacticool guy I for the better part of the last year have been wearing the same 511 stryke pants and they still are holding up and are even more comfortable plus they are a bit looser fitting in the thigh and calves area. They get my vote. I buy when they're on sale for about 50 bucks a pair. :s0115: worth the extra money in my book. They breathe better too so can be worn in warm and cold weather.

For me...its usually a XL ( tall ) Flannel shirt untucked and a pair of old faded jeans...
A sturdy made gun belt is a must for EDC carrying...as well as a good holster that works for how you carry best.
Andy

Carrying a firearm and all the other EDC stuff that many of us tote around daily can require putting extra thought into clothing choices. The Wrangler cargo jeans I love have been discontinued, so it's time to find something to replace them with. I appreciate them because of the large cargo and cell phone pockets, the poly/cotton blend that allows them to dry a bit faster than 100% cotton if they get damp, the belt loop placement which doesn't interfere with my IWB holster, the large leg openings which fit around my ankle trauma kit, and the deep cut openings of the main front pockets that keep my knife and flashlight out of the way when I reach for items in the bottom. Even better, they were less than $25!

I'm interested in knowing what clothing items, pants in particular, that others have found which help solve the problems of stowing lots of EDC gear comfortably.
UF PRO. They're expensive, but the last a long time, dry easily, have pockets. Worth a look. UF PRO | Tactical Gear for Professionals

For working outside, especially in the brush:

Ripstop, heavier cloth than jeans so most brush/brambles won't easily penetrate them. I get them in 'Loden' green - close enough to OD green. Deep large pockets. I also have a pair with flannel inside for the winter.

I have to wear suspenders with them because I got them a little large and they are heavy. The loops are large enough for my Condor tactical belt. I intend to coat them with a "tin cloth" mix (wax, etc.) to make them even more durable, more resistant to water, brush and less prone to get dirty.

I have seen and bought these in BiMart, but since I am tall they usually don't have the right size for me. I buy them also

For a shirt I wear a polypro light layer undershirt - long sleeve. On top of that I sometimes wear a Carhartt jacket shirt (OD Green) that has a quilted lining with a bit of insulation. Ripstop IIRC. I intend to coat that with "tin cloth" wax too. I need to find the equivalent without the lining for warmer days.

---

If it is cold outside, I might wear a pair of Carhartt insulated Overalls and a jacket. I need to coat these with "tin cloth" wax too. In fact, I think I may do them first as they are more likely to get wet in the winter. I need to wait for the rain to stop and to setup a workbench in the shop so I can do this properly; it will require heating up the mixture and spreading it on with a brush.

---

If I am not working in the brush or not doing a chore that requires heavier pants, I just wear regular jeans and whatever shirt I feel like wearing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top