JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got my hands on a new (to me) LCP from the guys at Willamette Valley Arms. I got a smokin deal on a nearly new gun but now I'm wondering what y'all would say runs best in it? I got some winchester hollowpoints to start with, just for EDC but will be running it through its paces this week with a variety of ammo to see what works.

Suggestions?

Cor-bon +P and Cor-bon DPX are universally stated to be the best by all of the .380 tests that I have seen in the last few years. But Cor-bon is very expensive. Speer Gold Dot (all +P) .380 is the runner-up, and less costly. Buffalo Bore Ammo makes some HOT .380 loads that are well respected, but I have never seen tests of their performance. MouseGuns.com is a great resource and has many links to recent ammo tests. Barrel length is a crucial element in the velocity required for bullet performance, and short barrel guns like the LCP might not perform well with many brands of ammo. GoldenLoki.com has many useful gelatin tests from short barreled Kel-tec guns, but not a comprehensive survey of all brands---he just tests what people give him. I've done a lot of reading of .380 tests, and I am content for now to carry Speer Gold Dot. I might get Cor-bon DPX---I'm worth the cost.......................elsullo

Don't have a LCP nor a .380 anymore but Hornady Crit. Defense was my favorite.

This is what I use. Newer generation .380 defensive ammo has done surprisingly well in gelatin tests, penetrating *almost* as far as 9mm. The Hornady stuff has the polymer ball in the tip of the bullet, and supposedly this prevents the hollow point from plugging up with clothing, so it penetrates and expands in clothed gelatin as well as bare gelatin.

<broken link removed>

As an addendum, my favorite quote:

"You want a bullet that penetrates 12" to 18", preferrably 13" to 15", and makes the largest possible hole. There is evidence that an energy-based pressure wave may play some role in incapacitation, starting at approximately 450 ft-lbs, for 13" penetration. However, the energy based mechanism is only effective about 5% of the time at 450 ft-lbs, and effective 60% of the time at 900 ft-lbs. It is very unreliable."

Note that that is not just bare gelatin, but clothed gelatin with bones. Since the .380 bullet is so damned light (while still being slow) bone deflection can be a real problem.

Are there any retailers locally that stock Cor-Bon in 380? The Internets keep telling me that Cor Bon is the Chuck Norris of 380 rounds, but I've never even seen a box of Cor-Bon in any caliber in real life.

Maybe I can hi-jack this thread and y'all can just tell me where you are getting consistent supplies of defense ammo? I feel like when I shop for ammo locally that I'm lucky to find anything HP in the caliber I want, let alone something that tests well on paper and I've already proven in my gun.

Just FYI you should read the warnings in your manual. Ruger says not to use +P ammo in the LCP. You should decide for yourself whether you will follow their advice or not but it is a good know about.

For finding ammo, I have had the best luck at Cabelas. I think I saw some Cor-Bon there last time I went and I usually buy some Gold Dots for my LCP.

cor bon , buffalo bore are +p loads and not recommended i would use a fmj round like from double tap in the lcp. i have a kahr p 380 and my first round is a buffalo bore +p hp the rest are fmj so they penetrate

You sir are correct. But for the one time that I will actually need to pull my LCP and use it, I will be glad to have them loaded (I only use them for my carry load). Just for my defense, I have not shot any of these through my LCP for that very reason....

I guess it would be better to say that I have only ran Winchester FMJ's through it with no problem. To break in the barrel and to keep up with the feel of it.

To miletwo, I'm sure as you have read these are not real fun to plink with. The only time I shoot with it is to keep up on my practice with it, since I use this as a daily carry (got to love being able to throw it in your pocket and not have to worry about concelment). After 50 rds my trigger finger is sore from the snap back against the trigger guard... Hope that helps.

Just as a side thought, are the Pow'r Ball ammunition all +P, for the 380 it is not listed as such on the box.....

Last Edited:
You sir are correct. But for the one time that I will actually need to pull my LCP and use it, I will be glad to have them loaded (I only use them for my carry load). Just for my defense, I have not shot any of these through my LCP for that very reason....

I guess it would be better to say that I have only ran Winchester FMJ's through it with no problem. To break in the barrel and to keep up with the feel of it.

To miletwo, I'm sure as you have read these are not real fun to plink with. The only time I shoot with it is to keep up on my practice with it, since I use this as a daily carry (got to love being able to throw it in your pocket and not have to worry about concelment). After 50 rds my trigger finger is sore from the snap back against the trigger guard... Hope that helps.

Are you saying you've never shot the rounds that you carry to protect yourself ? I sure hope the gun cycles and feeds them well, or the 1 .380 round you get off may not be as effective as you need.. Good luck ....

Corbon's Powerball ammo is NOT +P in .380, and specifically designed for tiny guns that can't take +P.

All of the commercial brands keep their loads within the SAAMI specifications for pressure, even the hottest ones like BuffaloBore. A limited diet of +P probably will not damage any gun; the manufacturers warning is just to protect themselves from warranty claims, in my opinion.

The tests of Hornady Critical Defense .380 done at GoldenLoki.com showed poor expansion from a short barrel.

With smaller calibers everyone worries about the effectiveness and "one-shot-stop" capabilities. Fuggedabowdit. Train to pump three or four shots in, then assess! Keep shooting until they fall or the gun is empty! They will kill you if you don't!........................elsullo

just make sure what ever you carry you have shot though that gun at least a 100 rounds thats just my opinion some hp seem to hang up or dont feed/eject right and i like my guns to go boom every time i pull the trigger im sure you do as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top