JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A messanger bag while hunting? That seems like it would be a pain in the azz?
Not really, think of it like a 100 year newer version of the old Possables bag from the black powder days! It is basically the same thing made with new materials! If i extend tje carry strap, it hangs down over the hip, or strapped up tight and tucked under the arm for ultra secure retention!

HPG
What's special. It's quiet on your back. The harness is perfect.

I run a Highlander. It's a much more basic Tarahumara type pack, but the organisation of the Connor may appeal to some (2.6lb). See Conner pack their current.

Nothing more I need in an overnight 35 mile pack. 1.5 lb empty, 7-8lb dry - 15 pounds with two nalgene and a Serape also highly recommended in MC.

Last Edited:
As long as it's comfortable and carry my stuff. I'm not that picky. I use this one for deer and elk hunting and it carries everything I need. Its about 6 or 7 years old now too, but only gets used for about 2 weeks a year...:
LLATmUF.jpg

I'm not real brand specific or loyal. The cheaper the better, as long as it's comfortable and isn't going to break on a hunt....

I'm normally out there with a Mountain Hardwear Fluid 32 — for me it's the right mix of lightweight and durable. Big enough for an overnight scouting trip in the warmer months.

I would really love to get into a Stone Glacier pack. Those things look like they're really dialed in, at least for backcountry hunting.

I was in that camp till I lost a jacket trying to walk through thick brush :(

I see a lot of people like Kuiu stuff but I don't know of anyone who's tried their packs

I have a friend that has used a Kuiu for a few years. He liked it enough he talked another friend of mine into one for this coming year. These packs are spendy buggers but Friend 1's experience has been good and Friend 2 says he is pretty sure it will be a good fit for him.

This is the only pack I use for everything. The cargo top sack rolls up after removing aluminum stays and fits into fanny pack until you need it. This system makes it so you are always ready to haul out a load instead of hiking back out for a pack board. It will haul a bone in rear half of a deer or an elk rear quarter bone in. Boned, it can haul out a whole deer if you are in deep. Not cheap but well made by good local company in Cashmere Wa. I have had mine since 2005 and it is still going strong after packing thousands of pounds of game.

Wilderness Pack (Full System)

This one isn't fancy, to put it very mildly:

bag.jpg

Czech surplus bag. No idea on the designation. I recall buying it for pocket change back when I was studying theology as a young adult to lug around heavy books (this being, of course, before I reverted to my natural, libertine state). Then it has served in every other capacity; range bag, backpacking, etc. I'm not one to normally praise Communist technology, but, hey, it is still going after all these decades. Pic took on Sunday when I hiked to, and shot a bunch of steel, on the home range, with a couple handguns (Desert Eagle and a snubbie).

5.11 Rush 72, I use it for everything, carrying laptop and other things to work, hiking, etc.

It's not eberlestock, I've looked at those for a while, but never could bother to spend that kind of scratch on more backpacks when I already have a couple marine LBE arteryx backpacks from surplus.

Unlimited funds, I think I would test out those eberlestock phantoms, not unlimited funds, getting that Rush 72 for $129 on sale is a very versital backpack. With all the molle it does attract a lot of "were you military" attention.

Today while killing time at sportsmans warehouse i looked at a couple of the killik (sportsmans house brand?) packs and they had one that seemed perfect. Internal frame, hydration blader, about 200000 pockets and little stash areas, and on the belly band there was a strap set up you could pull out to thread your holster on, i think it might be the winner.

I've been using the same backpack for 6 years, put a pvc frame in it for disc golf, then took it out when I got a dedicated DG cart and have been using it for my hiking/small game hunts.

I've really been eyeballing the Eberlestock Gunrunner, the idea of having my shotgun and a rifle with enough room to pack up an overnight is really tempting. Might have to wait until it goes on sale though

Not really, think of it like a 100 year newer version of the old Possables bag from the black powder days! It is basically the same thing made with new materials! If i extend tje carry strap, it hangs down over the hip, or strapped up tight and tucked under the arm for ultra secure retention!

For many years I did all my day hikes with a jola (similar to a messenger bag) I bought in Nepal in 1980. I slung it on my right hand side and a water bottle or bag on my left with the straps criss crossed to the other shoulder. Worked out very well. The name jola has been co-opted by a purse manufacturer so I can't find a decent picture.

My favorite Day Pack was / is my old ALICE Medium ruck...
It followed me home from the Army...and finally crapped out a few years ago...I would love to get another to replace it...but they are getting tough to find in decent shape.
Andy
Hey Andy, yup my old ALICE from my Marine Corps days was the best pack ever, steel frame very well sewn together, got out in 79, kept my pack, it finally gave it up just a few years ago, I abused the heck out of her, lololol. They don't make them like that anymore, I bought a FILBE USMC main pack when I was working in AzzCrapastan, fell apart in just 3 years, it looked way tacticool loots of MOLLE and straps and hidden compartments, but the craftsmanship was crap.

Hey Andy, yup my old ALICE from my Marine Corps days was the best pack ever, steel frame very well sewn together, got out in 79, kept my pack, it finally gave it up just a few years ago, I abused the heck out of her, lololol. They don't make them like that anymore, I bought a FILBE USMC main pack when I was working in AzzCrapastan, fell apart in just 3 years, it looked way tacticool loots of MOLLE and straps and hidden compartments, but the craftsmanship was crap.

The old ALICE system was rugged for sure...when the Army went to the MOLLE system of packs the first one we were issued ...were FUBAR...they definitely weren't good for the Airborne or LRRP /LRSD Units I was in...they fell apart way to fast...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top