JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
any of the S&W J frame guns are great for carrying. I personally carry a model 60 quite a bit. As for the Taurus, I dont have much experience with Taurus revolvers but I have a PT92 9mm that I really like. Seems to be a great gun and I have heard Taurus has great customer service and warranty.

I'm partial to my 442 Smith J-frame. Although I have seen the new S&W Nightguard model that is scandium .357 mag w/ factory XS Big Dot sights. I'd use it to replace the 442 and shoot 38 +P's out of it, but with a sight upgrade.

I don't recommend it for self defense...but I have a North American Arms Black Widow .22 Magnum. I use it when I go camping.

bw01.jpg

bw01.jpg

can't say I would recommend a taurus to anyone. I have seen to many problems with them. My only experience is with my grandpa's PT101(beretta 96 copy) and it's a fairly decent gun, but even it had to go back to the factory for a new barrel(had a rough finished bore from the factory!).

I have many friends that have had to send their Model 85s and the like back to the factory 1-2 times. I can't think of any friends with Tauris that haven't gone back to the factory except 1 model 24/7 a friend has.

I would steer clear, spend the extra $75 or whatever and get a smith.

Taurus does cut a lot of corners, but usually they are in finishing work. They are never better than any smiths, but usally beat the heck out of them for price in the full size category. For carry I'd say go buy a non lock 442 or 642, since they're only around $100 more.

Airweight snubbies kick like a mule with .357 magnum loads. They hurt your hands, and you will develop an unbreakable flinching habit which will hamper good aim at any distance beyond face-to-face. If you must have .357s, choose a solid steel gun to absorb some of the recoil.

Modern +P 38 specials are very effective with the new fast powders and hollow-point bullet designs, and kick much less. Even +P .38 specials kick severely in the Scandium frame airweights. They are just too light, and much more expensive.

In my opinion the best lightweight snubbies are the Airweights with aluminum frame and solid steel cylinders and barrels. These are a good balance of lightness for carry and enough weight to absorb recoil. Smith & Wesson also makes some wierd snubbies with an aluminum barrel shroud around a steel barrel insert---these save a little weight, but WHY?

Is this for pocket carry? If so you want the smallest grips possible that still can absorb some recoil---and the Taurus grips are the best design. The closed frame internal hammer "Centennial" design is excellent for keeping lint out of the internals of the gun, for reliability's sake. For a self-defense weapon single-action aimed fire is rarely needed, and very unwise from a legal liability standpoint. So a double-action only snubby like the Centennials is ideal.

I think your choice of the Taurus CIA is perfect, and I am looking to buy one myself. You will read a lot of second-hand slander about how "Bad" Taurus is, but you can also read a lot of anti-Smith/Wesson talk too over brand new problem guns requiring factory repair. Basically, quality control has gotten better at Taurus and worse at Smith/Wesson.........................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top