JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  • Rem oil for cleaning all parts that collect carbon
  • Any gun or synthetic motor oil for lubrication
  • Boresnake for the barrel
  • AR CAT Tool for the bolt carrier group
  • Chamber brush and pistol length rod for the chamber
  • Old rag, cotton patches, Q-Tips and pipe cleaners
And I wear a headlamp too help me see what I'm doing and spot any missed carbon.

Boresnake for field cleaning. A cleaning rod is the only way to properly clean
the bore. Very important not to damage the crown of the barrel. Slight damage
to the crown can result in destroying accuracy. More barrels are worn out
from improper cleaning than shooting. Never use the cheap sectional aluminum
or the GI steel cleaning rods. You will need a bore guide to clean from the breach end.
AR-15 Bore Guide & AR-10 Bore Guides | AR 15 Cleaning Rods From Bore Tech
A one piece coated Dewey rod is the best choice. I push patches with
a brass jag one direction out the bore.;) A chamber cleaning brush.
L-G2 DPMS G2 AR Lug Recess & Chamber Cleaning Kit
I have used many different solvents. Shooters choice is what I use on match rifles.
I have used a mix of 2/3 shooters choice and 1/3 Kroil oil a tip I read from bench
rest shooters. But now I think the good old Hoppe's #9 works great. You have to
let it soak overnight. Patch will come out blue. Repeat soak overnight until the patches
do not come out blue.

I personally, don't own an AR-15 or M-16 but I have cleaned more than a few. I Inspected 40,000 of the D**m things while the Division Small Arms Inspector for the 1st Cav. Division in RVN in '70. I do own an AR-10 and use a Full Length cleaning rod w/tampered crown protector. The original Military issue CPL worked well in RVN but I have found Corrosion-X works even Better. Of course, a proper sized cleaning brush(the nylon ones Don't work) in Bronze or SS and a Chamber Brush. These are the ones I keep in both my Travel Kit and on my Work Bench.

I use Otis for everything. CLP and Tetra gun grease with Rem lube for the initial hosedown. I like the plastic brushes for pushing patches and light scrubbing. I have nylon bore and chamber brushes as well.

Otis-Elite-Cleaning-System-infographic.jpg

Also, during that little Excursion in the Jungle, I proved that the "Barrel Erosion" theory was Bull. I was also packing around one of the "Test Kits" and testing those 40K M-16A1s. I "built" over a half dozen into shootable Rifles and then had "Joe Average" take them out and shoot an Expert score with them. Several of the "Joe Average" guys wanted to "keep" the Rifle because they shot better than their own issue Rifle. I did what I could.

Is this gonna be your very first AR15 rifle cleaning kit?

IMHO....the military butt stock rod with tips, ain't all that bad. OK, OK, ok.....some will say not with that sectioned cleaning rod. My response would be.....just remember to be careful and you're cleaning from the breech end, Not to mention that, it's a "first kit" that comes at a reasonable price.

As for the other stuff. IMHO, grab some old t-shirt material, an old tooth brush, Hoppe's #9, syn motor oil and axle grease. If you want to buy CLP and manufactured patches.....there's nothing wrong with that too.

Aloha, Mark

PS....later on, if you have the space and become more serious about your hobby. Buy yourself a one piece cleaning rod(s).

Last Edited:
I have one one piece cleaning rod for my .17 hmr and a bore snake also and bore snakes for my .308 .22 mag
I have Zero use for the bore snakes. Can't get any leverage with one. A Full Length, one piece rod is my choice - First, Last and Always. Except in the Field where I carry a sectional rod, with the tapered bore guide.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top