Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Favorite Charcoal BBQ Recipes? Tips?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

With the nice weather right around the corner I just pulled out my classic 18" Weber grill and got it all cleaned up. The previous tenant at my new place also left a smaller version, so it looks like I'll have dualing Webers this summer. I'll be the first to admit, I'm quite the noob when it comes to grilling, especially over charcoal. I can cook the basics and they're edible, but I plan on making this summer the one where I really learn. Cheers to the guy in another thread who mentioned BBQ oysters, that's really what got me thinking about this.

So, lets hear your favorite open flame BBQ recipes, grilling tips, etc. :thumbup:

2. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Buy a book called "The Thrill of the Grill"

Brine almost everything-4 cups brown sugar, 2 cups kosher salt added to enought water to float a potato...then add whatever else you like such as vanilla, star anise, peppercorns juniper berries, etc.. Brine pork and poultry for at least 24 hours before cooking

Use mesquite as a base and then add the appropriate flavoring wood- apple for pork and poultry, hickory for beef, alder for fish.

Read up on rubs

Know how to cook with low heat...many an animal part has been sacrificed (a true dishonor to the animal's spirit) by charring it to death on an overheated grill.

Never use gas/propane....it's for Yankee, cheater-types

Skirt steak on a low-heat grill after it has marinated in Coca Cola, salt and garlic for 12 hours is a great way kick every weekend off.

that's enough to get you started.

3. jaredpost

jaredpost Puyallup Member

Low and Slow!!! Indirect cooking is the absolute best BBQ you'll ever eat. I love to smoke a 10 pound beef brisket for about 12 hours for a few reasons. One, you get to drink a lot of beer on a saturday afternoon. Two, it tastes great. Three, you don't have to go shopping with the wife because you have to tend to the meat.

There are a lot of good dry rub recipe's online. You can also try the foodnetwork.com for some rubs. I don't recommend any of the store bought ones, I have tried a few and they don't taste as good.

I started on a small weber as well but have moved to a cheap chamber smoker now. Your weber will still do the job but it is harder to control the heat without having a separate fire box.

4. Contento

Contento Seattle Member

I'm shocked none of the big green egg fanatics has posted in here yet...usually those guys appear out of nowhere if the word "grilling" is mentioned.

When the red meat gets old, a nice drunken chicken always hits the spot for me.

5. hunterdad66

hunterdad66 PNW Member

Low and Slow!!! Indirect cooking is the absolute best BBQ you'll ever eat. I love to smoke a 10 pound beef brisket for about 12 hours for a few reasons. One, you get to drink a lot of beer on a saturday afternoon. Two, it tastes great. Three, you don't have to go shopping with the wife because you have to tend to the meat.

This man is wise! This man is good! :worship:

6. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Here's one

Jah Blasé’s Jamaican Jerk

3/4 cup Meyers’s rum
    1/2 cup malt or apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice or ½ cup orange juice or combination of both

1 Tablespoon freshly ground allspice
    1 Teaspoons ground nutmeg
    1 Tablespoons dried thyme
    1½ Teaspoons dried sage
    4 Teaspoons ground ginger
    1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons Baleine or natural sea salt
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    ½ Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
    ½ Teaspoon ground dried Habanero pepper
    1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar

10 green onions, chopped or ¼ yellow onion made into small pieces in food processor
    ¼ cup whole fresh garlic cloves, peeled, then minced very fine
    ¼ cup olive oil

2 3- to 3 1/2-pound chickens, cut however you want to Bar-B-Q them, rinsed, patted dry and given encouraging pep talk. Every’ting gone be ar-eee mon.

4 dry apple wood branches, about 3” diameter and 8” long, more or less.
    Kingsford Charwood bar-b-q chunks

The night before, mix all dry ingredients. Pour ¼ cup rum into a small glass and add a couple of ice cubes. Start drinking the rum.

Toss the onion, garlic cloves, and olive oil into your handy-chopper and mince the heck out of it.

Add garlic/onion/oil mixture to dry ingredients, and combine with the liquids: Lime/Orange juice, vinegar and ¼ cup rum.
    Place last ¼ cup of rum in your glass and add 1 more ice cube. Sample the rum. Give chicken reassuring smile.

Now slather the Jah Blasé rub all over the chicken, and cover, place in ‘fridge until tomorrow.

The day OF the do-rah.

Get your fire started with a big pile of the Kingsford Charwood. This stuff burns really hot and clean and lights fast. Try to use a chimney-type BBQ starting device and not charcoal lighter fluid. We doan be diggin no bumberclot lighter fluid doncha know.

If the chicken or pork is looking dry, coat with a couple of dashes of olive oil if you like. Toss ‘em onto the Bar-B-Q off to the side, not above direct heat . The idea here is to cook the meat slowly with indirect heat and apple wood smoke.

Now toss an apple wood branch or two onto the charwood, regulate the oxygen so it doesn’t turn into a chicken-Dresden sort of burnt sacrifice, and head inside to check the rum supply.

Make sure your meat gets nice char-lines and bits, but remains juicy and is thoroughly cooked. This is not for beginners!

Extra Credit Glaze

These ingredients are not listed above. It just didn’t seem right to have them up there.

½ cup orange/lime or whatever you like fresh citrus juice
    ¼ cup corn syrup
    1/8 cup rum
    2 Tablespoons butter

You can now make a nice glaze with ½ cup orange/lime juice and ¼ cup corn syrup and perhaps 1/8 cup of rum and a couple tablespoons of butter. Heat these all up in a small saucepan. Check the rum to make sure it’s still OK.

Once the meat is done, slather the glaze over it and serve!

7. Mark-60

Mark-60 Someplace near Hillsboro Active Member

MOTIVATION!

196156371_6vYCC-L.jpg

196157104_yWNXS-L.jpg

196157883_g3EfH-L.jpg

196160546_Sus8F-L.jpg

196160635_SeFyS-L.jpg

-Mark.

8. beavernation1

beavernation1 Salem Member

DAMN....nOW THAT wasn't nice Mark

9. Mark-60

Mark-60 Someplace near Hillsboro Active Member

I'm here to help.

-Mark.

10. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Man, those Big Green Eggs are expensive! I'll be sticking with my Weber for a while :)

11. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

If you like the taste of a webber but want to cut out the work look into a "Traeger" Best cooking in the world! And made right here in oregon!

Steven

12. jaredpost

jaredpost Puyallup Member

I thought I would bring this thread back to life. Summer is here and I'm sure that there are plenty of people ready to drink beer and grill so keep them coming.

Great chicken for fajitas or just grilling.

equal parts of tequila, lime juice, lemon juice (about 2 oz each)
    two or three fresh minced garlic cloves (you can use powder garlic as a substitute)
    Fresh ground pepper
    Sea salt

Put marinade in a ziploc bag with a couple chicken breasts and let sit in fridge for 2 to 6 hours (6 is best). Take out one hour prior to cooking and let chicken come up to room temperature. Taste good with real wood charcoal but if your impatient you can even use a gas grill.

For good steak I like to marinate overnight with a good dark beer and spices.

13. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

For grilling, the Weber is near impossible to beat.
    Sear over the coals, Lazzari mesquite chunks for me, and then rotate that grill around and slow cook to desired doneness.
    Webers can't be beat for this.

14. buyamonkey

buyamonkey West vancouver WA Member

This was a great post to bring back up. I use my gas grill a lot, because it's quick, under cover and better at most things than using the stove, plus my house heats up quick when it's warm out.

About a month ago, we were having an impromptu family dinner and we ran out of propane, it was Sunday, so my only choice to to break out the ol' Weber that had been sitting out for a year or two unused. Now I can't get enough of it. We use a Korean marinade of ginger, green onions, soy, Saki, rice wine vinegar, soy etc etc and do up chicken pieces. I just set a good fire under half of it, get the skins all crispy on the hot side and move them over to the cooler side to get all delicious inside. Meat and fire, just how mother nature intended.

+1 on the more time for beer drinking also:thumbup:

15. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

+1 for Traeger. And we are a dealer for them. :)

Not any more there dude. :(

16. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

BBQed COPPER RIVER SALMON

Using a nice side filet of wild fresh salmon, rinse with cool water. If previously frozen, farm raised, or refrigerated for more than 48 hours from purchase, rinse with Vermouth or throw out. :D

Lightly salt the meat side, and soak (marinate) in Soy Sauce skin up, for about a hour.

Sauta (sp?) chopped red onions and regular mushrooms in butter. Make enough to cover the fish completely and generously.

Over fairly hot coals, lay down a solid 'bed' of romain lettuce. Place the fish, skin down, on the lettuce. Pour the remaining soy over the fish and lettuce. Again, lightly salt. Cover the fish with the onions/mushrooms.

Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until the fish is cooked.

Scrap off the onion/mushrooms and discard. Using a spatula, leave the fish skin with the lettuce, and remove the fish to a serving plate.

Now if this isn't the BEST you've ever tasted, you don't like fish, or you didn't use enough Vermouth! :D

Frog.

17. BUZO71

BUZO71 Emerald Valley, Oregon New Member

Here's my receipe... get a Traeger... grill anything... enjoy! I got mine through a special deal and have never looked back...

18. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

HOT BUTTERED LOINS

Get a nice Pork Loin roast (Costco has the best)

Use a full cube of Butter with a bunch of coarse ground Pepper and the Minced Garlic bought in the jar (also from Costco). Use a splash of vegetable oil in a sauce pan first, so the butter doesn't burn. Heat it up and melt the butter with the pepper and garlic. Don't be shy about the amount of pepper and garlic!

Wash the roast, and pat dry with paper towel. Generously spoon a bunch of the sauce over the roast. (Don't use it all)

Using hot coals, arrange the coals so you get a hole (with no coals) in the middle, a bit larger than your roast. Place the roast on the hottest part of the coals with the 'buttered' side to the coals. This should cause the roast to 'flame'. Let it flame for a good minute or until the flames die down. (Be carefull, this flaming can be tricky) Now, turn the roast over and butter the other side, and again place it on the hottest coals. More flames! Do this on all sides.

The roast should know be seared on all sides, and while not burnt, a bit blackened. Place the roast in the middle of the coals and cover for 20 minutes. Turn it over and cook for another 20 minutes. Cut it down the center and see that the meat is white and not pink. Depending on roast size, anount of heat, etc, it may need another 10 minutes to finish cooking.

You can do this with pork chops to! Yummmmm !

Frog.

19. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

I am on my second Traeger and I think my fav is some baby back ribs rubbed with some Traeger BBQ rub and smoked for just about 6 hours! Everything that tries them things I am a cooking master!

Steven

20. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Grilled steak tonight.

BBQ flavors
    Mesquite
    Hickory
    Apple
    Cherry
    Alder
    Maple
    Pecan