JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL!
I'm hunting with you Andy!....and I'll bring along my crate of hi-brass 20 gauge loads so we have plenty of ammo.

Dean
..well..."crate", I use the term loosely. It's more of a box....

2019_0121_1641-00.jpg

:D
There used to be a second row, but over the years, I've shot those up.

A bunch of years ago there used to be three main loads for game birds Rabbit/Squirrel, Dove/Quail and Duck/pheasant. Winchester and Remington both had their versions. Solid marketing, I guess?....

It's been a long time since I went by what is on a box. Probably because I reloaded all my clay shooting hulls with loads customized for what I planned to hunt. Used lead in shot sizes #4,5,6,7 1/2, and #9s. I really liked Winchester AA hulls for smaller shot sizes, and Remington blue hulls for larger shot sizes.

For goose I bought factory loads meant for either pass shooting or geese over decoys.

Steel shot when hunting with bbbass...got it.
Man, I miss the 70's.

Naw, I can't slosh thru the sloughs and the cattails any more. That was the place I hunted last because I got invites from my boss, who had two nice golden labs. I don't hunt birds w/o a dog so that was my remaining bird hunting opportunity after all these years.

I used to hunt everywhere else. Many years of brush lines, weed fields, and even beet fields for pheasant, rolling hills for Huns, breaks of the Snake River for chukar, deep woods near water for grouse, private land with sloughs for ducks, wheat stubble for winter geese. No steel shot.

I'd love to take a walk in the hills. I might even make 10 or 20 feet worth.

LOL! That's cool.
Andy actually made me realize something.....do you think I live in Oregon?
Thinking about your post, it kinda read that way.
I'm way north of you. Western Washington. Olympic Peninsula. Head of the Hood Canal. Olympic mountains are less than an hour away....or I can just look out the back window....

2018_0312_0748-00.jpg

Anyway, you mentioned walking hills. Reminds me of Chukar hunting out in Black Canyon. One of the canyons just east of the Manashtash Ridge in eastern Washington.
Naches and Selah are in that area, if you're familiar with those towns.
There's some "hills" for you to climb.
I seem to remember taking about 15 minutes to top a ridge....and it was all CLIMBING.
Not a super hard climb (no ropes or crampons required), you were definitely climbing a hill, not walking up it.
Beautiful country to hunt and lots of Chukar...at least there was 40-45 years ago.

Dean

Last Edited:
do you think I live in Oregon?

Nope! Just responding to you saying you need steel shot to hunt with me, and to saying we should take a walk. I might be adled, but I can still see it says Poulsbo under your avatar. :p;)

The Great State of Eastern Washington sounds perfect for upland birds. I've been thru there a bunch of times and it's very similar to home... I enjoy it. Never hunted there tho. I've hunted the Columbia River (ducks), in Cali before I moved (ducks, quail, doves), and in Idaho (ducks, pheasant). Hells Canyon for chukar. Everything else was here in Union County.

Hun country:

50730815_2343142125720115_6953742336455081984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio1-1.jpg

Pheasant holding grounds on Ladd Marsh. The cattails are gone, but note the ditch that must be crossed to get to the next section (chest waders).

50600960_2343142089053452_230517053759422464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio1-1.jpg

Ladd Marsh Wildlife Refuge. I've set out goose decoys on areas of snow covered wheat stubble.

50308258_2343142062386788_3134393985032781824_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio1-1.jpg

Actually, if you go back just a tiny bit farther, you'll see that you told me I needed to use steel shot to hunt, then aluded to some reg that I was already supposed to be aware of.
Do you HAVE to use steel to hunt down in Oregon?
I'm almost positive we can still use lead up here, with exception to waterfowl, of course.
The walking bit was just me noticing you and Sniper seem to have not walked a field in a long time, but would like to again.
...was just saying, me, too.
Nice pics. The top one kinda reminds me a little of Black Canyon. The other one reminds me of George/Quincy....wish they still did the Community Hunt out there.

It's gone all to hell now with steel shot requirements anyway.

Steel's for waterfowl.

Aaaaaaaand pheasant or quail on the refuge...

Steel shot when hunting with bbbass...got it.

Again... no. Only on the refuge. :)

Actually, if you go back just a tiny bit farther, you'll see that you told me I needed to use steel shot to hunt, then aluded to some reg that I was already supposed to be aware of.
Do you HAVE to use steel to hunt down in Oregon?

Please note that I was joshing with you because Non-Toxic shot is required nationally on all federal refuge and most state refuge no matter what bird species. Hunters reminded that nontoxic shot required in some wildlife areas | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

No man, I didn't tell you that you need steel shot to hunt, only if you are on a refuge.

No, we do not HAVE to use steel to hunt birds in most of Oregon... only on a refuge.

Yup, I don't hunt anymore. At the young age of 66 I'm pretty crippled up already. Sucks. I really do miss those fields, sloughs, hills, shotguns, birds, and especially hunting dogs. Once in awhile I get a chance at a grouse when traveling in the woods, otherwise it's just wistful musings and memories.

Outside of San Diego with my TC31 before 1980 and about 100lbs ago.
Photos&Scans 385.jpg

Baron Von Shuysen (Shy)
Photos&Scans 389.jpg Photos&Scans 390.jpg

Find da bird, Shy!
Photos&Scans 402.jpg

Lady
Photos&Scans 399.jpg

Lady and Shy (nice backup point by Shy)
Photos&Scans 405.jpg

:D:D:D

The last few years all my pheasant hunting was on Ladd Marsh refuge... better NOT get caught with lead shot out there!!! I'm checking your vest pockets when we go for that walk!! :p;)

How's the pheasant hunting out there?
My dad and I elk hunt up in Ladd Canyon and drive past the marsh on our way and always wondered about it. We always have a shotgun in camp for those pesky grouse. A chance for pheasant on the way out might be fun.

bbbass,

Sorry to hear about your condition.
I don't know what I'd do, if I couldn't get around anymore (especially bad for me, since I'M the caretaker!).
Those were some nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
I had a shorthair back then, too. Loved that dog.
...and since you were so nice to share, please allow me to (attempt to) reciprocate...

Dad and our dogs at Black Canyon

BirdHunting_BlackCanyon_Dad-Nikki-Singhai.jpg

Me, the dogs and a pheasant I may have shot. This is in Quincy, just north of George

BirdHunting_GeorgeCommunityHunt_Quincy_Me-Nikki-Singhai.jpg

Another shot of me with the truck and trailer out in Quincy. Just shows the area we were in better

BirdHunting_GeorgeCommunityHunt_Quincy_Me.jpg

...one of these days, I'll have to redo this pics so they aren't so blurry.

Favorite of mine is the /Browning 20GA SXS
When I bought it it had the stock cut to 12" and a hidden rust pit
So I put a maple extension on and a leather Velcro fastened but pad over the ugly Then sent it to a guy named Stan Baker in the Seattle area to back bore that pit out and opened the chokes the min. necessary
It sits in the safe but is /was my fav grouse gun.

How's the pheasant hunting out there?
My dad and I elk hunt up in Ladd Canyon and drive past the marsh on our way and always wondered about it. We always have a shotgun in camp for those pesky grouse. A chance for pheasant on the way out might be fun.

It varies. The part that most folks hunt is the open fields next to the mountains. It gets planted with birds and the hunting varies with weather and hunting pressure. Bring a dog or you'll not likely get much. Hunt the weed lines or edges. The opposite side of the Union Hwy is better because it holds a lot of the escaped birds, but you'll need waders to cross all the ditches and plough thru the cattails. Hunt the thick weeds or cattails.

There are youth hunt days on Ladd Marsh if you have a kid you can take advantage of that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads