Favorite Bird guns....

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by AndyinEverson, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DeanMk

DeanMk
    Poulsbo, Wa.

Of the guns I have, that I've actually used on bird hunts, I'd have to say my faves were my ol' Stevens 511 SxS 20 ga. (M/F) and my dad's Remington 1100 Lightweight in 20 ga. (M).
    Both were tack drivers, although I didn't shoot the Remmy nearly as well then as I do now.
    The Stevens is long gone. Shot great, but walking the field was like carrying a 6 lb. 4x4 in my hand.
    Although I've never hunted with it, I've learned to shoot my little H&R 20 ga Topper pretty well, too.
    Limbsaver helped a lot with that one.

...the following pics are not my gun, but mine looked just like this one...

82863_02_savage_arms_stevens_model_511__640.jpg
    82863_01_savage_arms_stevens_model_511__640.jpg

...pics of the 1100 to follow, soon.

Dean

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Joe13 and AndyinEverson like this.
  2. zenmonger

zenmonger
    NC

I also have a Sweet Sixteen inherited from my father that I cherish. It is furnished with "two-tone custom" stock and grip; it hung in my father's den where the sun fell on it only in the late afternoon for an hour, over decades enough to turn the right side blond while the left is still dark walnut.

I'm also fond of SxS's, though I only have one, an Ithaca 12 gauge with hammers and Damascus barrels that my dad bought as a wall hanger in the early sixties. Not knowing about the alleged dangers of shooting modern loads in Damascus barrels, I used that Ithaca for everything, clays, doves, and quail, until the late eighties when I decided I better not push my luck. I was more worried about destroying the gun than I was about what it would do to me.

3. DeanMk

DeanMk
    Poulsbo, Wa.

As promised, pic of the 1100. Sorry for the poor quality. Crappy 3G cell pic....

1208171726-01.jpg

...maybe one of these days I'll get some good pics of all those guns.

In the meantime, here's a pic I pulled from The Remington Society of America website...

Model_1100_stock_and_receiver_changes_1979.jpg

My gun is pretty much a copy of this one. I wanted to comment on that beautiful scrollwork, especially that seen on the forearm.
    That textured surface will stick to your hand like Velcro. I couldn't lose a purchase on that fore end if I wanted to.
    Really helpful when a pheasant or a covey of bobwhites explode right in front of you.

Dean

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM
    AndyinEverson and Argonaut like this.
  4. DunRanull

DunRanull
    southern Colorado, small city bordering where mtns

A Remmie 870 with 28" bbl accompanied me on a few hunts when I lived where birding was possible. Has that ramp thingie all down the barrel. Useful, but my favorite fowling shottie is an immaculate Pedersoli double perc 12. Light weight like a dove gun and able to reach out for pheasant and quail. Love it.
    Very nice fowling flinter there Andy. Very nice indeed!
    I have dreamed of owning a flint fowler in 20 ga for many years but the money and opportunity just hasnt happened. In the 17-1800's they were very popular around the Great Lakes and you could trade one for a woman and many blankets... At @ .61 caliber they were good for deer and bear and doubled as a small game shotgun...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    DeanMk, AndyinEverson and Argonaut like this.