JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of the guns I have, that I've actually used on bird hunts, I'd have to say my faves were my ol' Stevens 511 SxS 20 ga. (M/F) and my dad's Remington 1100 Lightweight in 20 ga. (M).
Both were tack drivers, although I didn't shoot the Remmy nearly as well then as I do now.
The Stevens is long gone. Shot great, but walking the field was like carrying a 6 lb. 4x4 in my hand.
Although I've never hunted with it, I've learned to shoot my little H&R 20 ga Topper pretty well, too.
Limbsaver helped a lot with that one.

...the following pics are not my gun, but mine looked just like this one...

82863_02_savage_arms_stevens_model_511__640.jpg
82863_01_savage_arms_stevens_model_511__640.jpg

...pics of the 1100 to follow, soon.

Dean

Last Edited:
For the upland work this is the one for me. I have a weakness for 16's. This Sweetsixteen a gift from my father. I send him this picture from S. Dakota last month. Thanks for sharing all yours.View attachment 410507

I also have a Sweet Sixteen inherited from my father that I cherish. It is furnished with "two-tone custom" stock and grip; it hung in my father's den where the sun fell on it only in the late afternoon for an hour, over decades enough to turn the right side blond while the left is still dark walnut.

I'm also fond of SxS's, though I only have one, an Ithaca 12 gauge with hammers and Damascus barrels that my dad bought as a wall hanger in the early sixties. Not knowing about the alleged dangers of shooting modern loads in Damascus barrels, I used that Ithaca for everything, clays, doves, and quail, until the late eighties when I decided I better not push my luck. I was more worried about destroying the gun than I was about what it would do to me.

Of the guns I have, that I've actually used on bird hunts, I'd have to say my faves were my ol' Stevens 511 SxS 20 ga. (M/F) and my dad's Remington 1100 Lightweight in 20 ga. (M).
Both were tack drivers, although I didn't shoot the Remmy nearly as well then as I do now.
The Stevens is long gone. Shot great, but walking the field was like carrying a 6 lb. 4x4 in my hand.
Although I've never hunted with it, I've learned to shoot my little H&R 20 ga Topper pretty well, too.
Limbsaver helped a lot with that one.

...the following pics are not my gun, but mine looked just like this one...

View attachment 411428
View attachment 411429

...pics of the 1100 to follow, soon.

Dean
As promised, pic of the 1100. Sorry for the poor quality. Crappy 3G cell pic....

1208171726-01.jpg

...maybe one of these days I'll get some good pics of all those guns.

In the meantime, here's a pic I pulled from The Remington Society of America website...

Model_1100_stock_and_receiver_changes_1979.jpg

My gun is pretty much a copy of this one. I wanted to comment on that beautiful scrollwork, especially that seen on the forearm.
That textured surface will stick to your hand like Velcro. I couldn't lose a purchase on that fore end if I wanted to.
Really helpful when a pheasant or a covey of bobwhites explode right in front of you.

Dean

Last Edited:
A Remmie 870 with 28" bbl accompanied me on a few hunts when I lived where birding was possible. Has that ramp thingie all down the barrel. Useful, but my favorite fowling shottie is an immaculate Pedersoli double perc 12. Light weight like a dove gun and able to reach out for pheasant and quail. Love it.
Very nice fowling flinter there Andy. Very nice indeed!
I have dreamed of owning a flint fowler in 20 ga for many years but the money and opportunity just hasnt happened. In the 17-1800's they were very popular around the Great Lakes and you could trade one for a woman and many blankets... At @ .61 caliber they were good for deer and bear and doubled as a small game shotgun...

Last Edited:
I'd have to say that my favorite bird guns only shoot clay pidgeons, never shot at anything that bleeds.
I did well with a Mossberg 500, but better with a Browning Citori. My plans now are to see how the Auto 5 does, but I have good feeling about it.
It's enlightening to see all of these favorites, I'm taking notes.

Flymph,

Don't turn a blind eye to the Turkish guns, either.
Back in the late 90's, a guy I worked for picked up a new 12 ga. Huglu ("Who-Glue") semi-auto for pocket change and he loved it.
Said he couldn't miss with it.

Dean

Thanks for the friendly advice!
With my bedget, I think that the Turkish O/U's are all I could afford! LoL
The Auto 5 just happens to be an undesirable belonging to my father, so it's what i'll use until I find the right O/U. :)

Just shoot the A5 once upright...then again upside down...You'll then have a semi-auto over under...:confused::eek::D
( Or maybe not...:D )
Andy
Thanks for the friendly advice!
With my bedget, I think that the Turkish O/U's are all I could afford! LoL
The Auto 5 just happens to be an undesirable belonging to my father, so it's what i'll use until I find the right O/U. :)

IMG_3777.JPG IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0762.JPG
Browning Cynergy Featherweight 20ga. 5.5lbs
Benelli Ultralight 20ga. Same weight.
Love them both.
Can't forget about the Browning A5 20ga either!

Last Edited:
Here is another favorite of mine...
It is a combination gun with a 12 gauge smooth bore and a .44 rifled barrel.
Circa 1840's -60's...the stock has been re-worked and the locks are "new" Pedersoli replacements.
Andy
DSC06561.jpg
DSC06564.jpg
DSC06570.jpg
Please note that the front sight is not bent or crooked ...just poor photography skills...

We call those rats with wings around here!
The first time I heard about crazy Oregonians shooting pigeons, I was confused.
Why shoot pigeons ?
How silly.
As I became more informed, I learned of this magnificent bird called a band-tailed pigeon.
You will never see them in a park or around a barn.....they are royalty and prefer a life high in the Douglas Firs of the Coast Range.
They are migratory, and tend to fly the western flanks of the Coast Range although there are some on the East side of the Coast range and in the Valley.
Untitled-1.jpg
btpi-1.jpg

They are very tough and we found that "Chuikar Loads" (1-1/4 oz 1330 FPS #6) were the best.
Mineral springs can be an ambush point. They like mineral rich water and elderberries.
The meat is dark like duck.
Not sure if there is still an open season.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads