JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just as the title says ...post pictures and stories of your favorite bird guns...be it a gun you own , used to own or dream to own.
My hands down favorite is my Remington 870 Wingmaster.
Its in 20 gauge with a 28 inch barrel and a Modified choke , made in 1962.
Originally My Grandad's gun , he gave it to me when I little , about 8 or so...it was my first gun.
Lots of memories with this shotgun , lots of squirrels , rabbits , grouse , clay birds and stray tin cans , have been taken with this gun.
its not the fanciest ...but it fits me fine and I know how to shoot it.
DSC06606.jpg
My second favorite is a Flintlock Fowler made by George Laloux.
He was a Belgian gunmaker and his company made guns from 1837-1920.
My gun is in 20 gauge with a walnut stock and a 40 inch barrel ..its one of his later guns , I'm guessing from 1900 or so.
This gun also has accounted for grouse and many a claybird.
DSC06557.jpg
DSC06560.jpg

As far as a dream gun goes...I'd love to have a Bernadelli Brescia in 20 gauge ...But since my last name isn't Gates or Rockefeller , I kinda doubt that will happen...:D
Andy

I used to have a nice old Miroku/Westernfield Charles Daley knock off. I still miss that gun terribly. 30" full/modified barrels and beautiful walnut with tasteful but not gaudy engraving and a nickel reciever. Fit me like a glove. I can't believe I sold it.

I don't have a pic of mine handy but I borrowed a couple of the exact same gun - an 870 express Magnum. Not as pretty as Andy's but I'm going to feel no where near as bad if I trip and scratch it up or some weird accident happens.

I just recently picked this up and haven't taken it out hunting yet but it is now my dedicated bird and small critter gun. Removable choke, up to 3" shells, 28" vent rib barrel, 12ga and has hardly been used.

I hope to have some harvest pics before spring is over.

(It's replacing my hi standard 1952 12ga with adjustable choke in 99% condition that is not replaceable to me so it's trap and heirloom only now)

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

Last Edited:
When I first started duck hunting I bought a used (non-combat) M500 with a 28" fixed MC barrel from The Gun Broker gunstore (they've since closed their doors) for $200. It was an older specimen (that badly needed a cleaning!) but functional, and over the following year I replaced the wood furniture with synthetic (because I hunt in "big water" on the Columbia River) all the internals (bolt, extractors, etc) so everything was "sharp and fresh" on the inside, and scored a 26" rib-vent barrel with changeable chokes off of gunbroker.com.

After two years of hunting with that I bought this Weatherby SA-08 12ga/3", 26" vent-rib changeable choke barrel, and haven't looked back. It originally came all matte-black, but I did a custom shrink-wrap camo appliqué on it (takes a heat-gun) and has been excellent.

I haven't hunted (or fished) for 2yrs now, but I've taken a lot of ducks with it...
F17B7C9C-401E-40BA-B564-870D91FA8A3E.jpeg

birds.jpg

On the left is the Stevens 511, Series A SxS in 12-gauge (2¾ and 3" shells). It is not the best looking shotgun, but it works well enough.

On the right is a Zabala Hermanos SxS in .410-bore (2½ and 3" shells). It is a handly little shotgun for around the property. When my son is old enough, I will give this one to him. :)

This is an image of a shotty very much like my very first when I was 18 and finally old enough to buy my own (Dad would not let us have firearms, not even a bb gun). It was a Remington Model 31TC that I bought at a pawn shop because I liked the looks of it and it was only $100. Mine had an unusual extra wide vent rib, about 5/8". 28" barrel. I shot a whole bunch of clays/trap with it and some ducks. Had no idea what a find this gun was until much later in life. Had to sell it when times got rough.

11025848_1.jpg

My next favorite was a Charles Daly Miroku 12ga 3" chamber 30" barrels full and full. I eventually had the bottom barrel taken out to modified choke because I was shooting a lot of waterfowl over decoys. The top one is similar to what I had.

18634386_2.jpg

The shotty I used the most was an SKB 20ga O/U with 26" barrel. I don't remember what the chokes were but I shot clays from my thrower that was mounted on a spare tire, a ton of quail, grouse, many huns, and a bunch of pheasant. My fav for upland birds.

ithaca2.jpg

Edit: I had an Ithaca model 37 featherlite in 12ga, 26" modified choke. Shot clays and a lot of pheasant with it.

11015295_1.jpg

I had to sell all my shotguns, and I had many, as well as all my rifles, to pay for my divorce. I still miss them but not her at all. Now I'm low income so I will never be able to rebuild a collection like I had. Damn her black heart!!!

Last Edited:
This is an image of a shotty very much like my very first when I was 18 and finally old enough to buy my own (Dad would not let us have firearms, not even a bb gun). It was a Remington Model 31TC that I bought at a pawn shop because I liked the looks of it and it was only $100. Mine had an unusual extra wide vent rib, about 5/8". 28" barrel. I shot a whole bunch of clays/trap with it and some ducks. Had no idea what a find this gun was until much later in life. Had to sell it when times got rough.

View attachment 410494

My next favorite was a Charles Daly Miroku 12ga 3" chamber 30" barrels full and full. I eventually had the bottom barrel taken out to modified choke because I was shooting a lot of waterfowl over decoys. The top one is similar to what I had.

View attachment 410495

The shotty I used the most was an SKB 20ga O/U with 26" barrel. I don't remember what the chokes were but I shot clays from my thrower that was mounted on a spare tire, a ton of quail, grouse, many huns, and a bunch of pheasant. My fav for upland birds.

View attachment 410496

Edit: I had an Ithaca model 37 featherlite in 12ga, 26" modified choke. Shot clays and a lot of pheasant with it.

View attachment 410500

I had to sell all my shotguns, and I had many, as well as all my rifles, to pay for my divorce. I still miss them but not her at all. Now I'm low income so I will never be able to rebuild a collection like I had. Damn her black heart!!!

It really sucks to sell off some or all of your favorite guns for expenses - happened too me 4 years ago so I can feel your pain.

My wife and I make almost what I made at my last job and bills are higher with a kid in college so I've been able to buy 2 $200 shotguns in the last 5-6 months and you would think they were covered in gold the way I feel about them;).

Hang in there, you never know when you will be fortunate.

Best shot gun I own is an all origional A.H.Fox side by side that was a project my Grand Dad had and never finished. .12 gauge, 28 in barrels modified and full choke! Next is my all purpose 870 super magnum I got from the Remington sales rep for $250 before they were available to the general public (Remingtins first hydrodipped camo) and it has been rock solid and ready on every thing. Then I had to get fancy and get a semi auto, so i got a Remmy 1187 super magnum! Also deadly for any game I hunt! My first real shot gun is a Mossy 835 super magnum I have had since the age of 16 and that Ol Mossy has taken more Goose, Turkey, and ducks, then all others combined! It's boat paddle ugly, but it never misses! I don' hunt with it, but my Winchester 97 is one of the slickest and most fun to shoot scatter uns k own, and is a darn nice tool to have, it sits bed side or by the front door waiting for action!

Last Edited:
Don't know why, but of dozens of shotguns I've owned over the decades, I have very few photos.

First, the 870 is the best shotgun ever. If you didn't hear me, the 870 is the best shotgun ever.

But the 870 is not necessarily my favorite shotgun, although it is the most used and carried by me.

I think my favorite is the Browning A-5, followed by any quality side by side.

I used to have a Delux Remington Peerless 12ga. Over and under, it was far to nice a gun for hunting, and was kind of heavy for clays, I let it go for several hundred more then I paid, and don' really miss it, except it sure did look sexy and felt good in the hands!

I used to have a Delux Remington Peerless 12ga. Over and under, it was far to nice a gun for hunting, and was kind of heavy for clays, I let it go for several hundred more then I paid, and don' really miss it, except it sure did look sexy and felt good in the hands!

I've had numerous shotguns over the years, that although gorgeous, I could not be comfortable carrying them afield. Including this Gold Label, bought for show and tell, I only actually handled it or looked at it a couple times. Finally sold it. My show and tell guns are becoming less and less.
GEDC0258_zpsd9b9469d.jpg

My next grail gun, and still affordable, is an A-5. I likely wont shoot it a lot either, but I've still gotta have one. Good ones are becoming scarcer.

For the upland work this is the one for me. I have a weakness for 16's. This Sweetsixteen a gift from my father. I send him this picture from S. Dakota last month. Thanks for sharing all yours. Wweetsixteen in S. Dakota.jpg

I met a guy that was pheasant hunting with a black powder side x side. He had a full limit of birds. I was very impressed.

Had an SKB 20ga side be side that i hardly ever used. I really liked it but couldn't shoot it worth a darn.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top