Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Favorite backpacking spots?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarryHaller, Aug 22, 2015.

1. HarryHaller

HarryHaller Kalama, WA Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I know there are a decent number of backpackers on here. I thought it'd be cool to get a list of favorite spots going with descriptions, so it can be a resource of future trip ideas. I feel like I could use that for sure because despite hiking around here a lot I have trouble picking places to go.

My favorite spot has been in the Roaring river wilderness outside estacada, about a 12 mile loop, numerous alpine lakes, great views, good trail surface, cool primitive sites to camp. It's amazing.

So, what's your favorite hike in camping spot?

salmonriverjohn and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

the Lakes Basin in the Eagle Cap Wilderness is one of the most beautiful places I've been. A fun place closer to home for a weekender is Indian Heaven Wilderness. I also like the Roaring River, did an off trail adventure there this summer the brush was hell though but I like the Rock Lakes basin... best to go later summer after the hatch or you'll get eaten alive.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Yeah Eagle cap/Wallowa is amazing so is lake Waptus and then up to Spade lake out of Salmon la sac in the Cascades. You better do some legs for that one. Unmaintained trail and some me serious elevation gain but worth it because there is usually Noone there because of the difficulty.The Enchantments are amazing too.

4. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Three Sister's Wilderness area. Always has been and will be. But at my age wilderness means the same as no trespassing. So my kids and grand kids will never get to go there.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Those are all great hikes! I used to be hard into alpine lakes fishing! I caught a fat, bright, 17", native rainbow in Lower Rock Lake! First cast after dropping my pack, and I said "You're a beauty, Mr Rainbow, I'm putting you back!" I didn't catch another fish the entire three day trip!
    I was especially fond of the Three Sisters Wilderness and the Oregon Coast Trail!

Medic! and salmonriverjohn like this.
  6. HarryHaller

I've got another favorite after this weekend, went up to McNeil point on Mt Hood. Set up camp at 7100 ft with glaciers all around us. Highly recommended. image.jpg image.jpg

jessieD, Sgt Nambu, BradC and 6 others like this.
  7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

That book looks suspiciously like a bodice ripper.
    I like your style!

45alive likes this.
  8. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Similar sites can be had up in Jefferson Park. As soon as I hit the PCT I go OFF TRAIL, climbing through boulder fields and head up to the tree line.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  9. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

My last camping was on Mt. Margaret, the Sister to St. Helens. Day two in the climb it started to hail, the sleet, to Snow, then Rain.

All at a mile elevation, and so thick I knew we would miss our assigned camp. We turned around back down about two hundred yards, where I had spotted a nice area to do an emergency bivouac ...

We woke to seeing "The Lake" and clear Blue skies. A once in a life time event. :D

philip

10. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Looks awesome. I would imagine the water situation is challenging though.

11. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a lot of favorites I'm hoping a week from now I can add the enchantments to my list!

12. 45alive

45alive South Douglas County- Orygun Well-Known Member

Check out Hiking at a Renaisance Faire,:s0045: You will see bodice rippers.:s0061: :s0083:

13. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I've had fair sport and God bless 'em all but most all them dames there are drama addled in the head.

14. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

White clouds, Idaho

15. HarryHaller

Ha, that's usually my go to genre, I decided to change it up and reread Steppenwolf. Book I got my screen name from.

16. HarryHaller

There was a glacial stream a little less than a mile down from the campsite, should've topped off the water but ended up being fine with the 3 liters each we brought.

That's amazing, I'd love to get up there! I'm going to enter the lottery next year for sure.