JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a bad read.

lossy-page1-220px-Island_in_the_Sea_of_Time.tif.jpg

Final Countdown (movie)

I love the idea of a modern carrier transported to the eve of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The movie is a hoot to watch.

F14 Tomcat vs. Japanese Zero: "Splash that Zero!"

Best Clint Eastwood , with a German Accent :
"My donkey , he don't like laughing , verstehen?" :eek::D
Andy
LOL Okay, wiseguys, for D&D+Squad Leader-type hybrids... how would you outfit one of little Junior's bigger kin as a "bio-technical"? Imagine Hannibal and his war elephants finding themselves facing TOW-packin' tyrannosaurs... *evil laugh* (I can imagine the rexes' take, "using missiles wastes good meat"...)

(continuing the new direction of this thread)
The overall concept would be to have the distance combat handled using ASL rules and the same hex close combat handled using AD&D rules.

I have read or watched most of the books/shows mentioned. There are some real keepers in this group, but my all time favorite is the 3 book trilogy which begins with "Weapons of Choice", then "Designated Targets" and finishes with "Final Impact" all by John Birmingham. 2021 international naval force on its way to take Indonesia back from islamic extremists, get side tracked to 1942 just before Midway. Realistic militarily and in it's depiction of the cultural changes 80 years have brought to the U.S.A., Thoughtful, exciting adventure and food for thought. Read these books.- Matt

A whole series of sci-fi books about an obsolete WW1 destroyer that attempts to hide out in a South Pacific squall to avoid certain destruction by a WW2 Japanese battleship and ends up in another earth like world where an alternate earth is populated with huge intelligent lizards and human sized lemurs that are the dominate creatures.
The first four books are pretty good and then it kinda runs off the tracks afterwards.

515ymryB8BL.jpg

The 1632 series by Eric Flint, et al., from Baen Books (conservative SF and urban fantasy publisher). First ebook in series FREE in multiple formats.
1632 by Eric Flint - WebScription Ebook

In the year 1632 in northern Germany a reasonable person might conclude that things couldn't get much worse. There was no food. Disease was rampant. For over a decade religious war had ravaged the land and the people. Catholic and Protestant armies marched and countermarched across the northern plains, laying waste the cities and slaughtering everywhere. In many rural areas population plummeted toward zero. Only the aristocrats remained relatively unscathed; for the peasants, death was a mercy.

2000 Things are going OK in Grantville, West Virginia. The mines are working, the buck are plentiful (it's deer season) and everybody attending the wedding of Mike Stearn's sister (including the entire membership of the local chapter of the United Mine Workers of America, which Mike leads) is having a good time.

THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED....

When the dust settles, Mike leads a small group of armed miners to find out what's going on. Out past the edge of town Grantville's asphalt road is cut, as with a sword. On the other side, a scene out of Hell; a man nailed to a farmhouse door, his wife and daughter Iying screaming in muck at the center of a ring of attentive men in steel vests. Faced with this, Mike and his friends don't have to ask who to shoot.

At that moment Freedom and Justice, American style, are introduced to the middle of The Thirty Years War.

Download the comprehensive Teacher's Guide here.

I have read or watched most of the books/shows mentioned. There are some real keepers in this group, but my all time favorite is the 3 book trilogy which begins with "Weapons of Choice", then "Designated Targets" and finishes with "Final Impact" all by John Birmingham. 2021 international naval force on its way to take Indonesia back from islamic extremists, get side tracked to 1942 just before Midway. Realistic militarily and in it's depiction of the cultural changes 80 years have brought to the U.S.A., Thoughtful, exciting adventure and food for thought. Read these books.- Matt

I went to Amazon with every intention of buying the e-version of the first book but once I read that the flagship of the modern armada was the "USS Hillary Clinton" named after our "greatest wartime president"… well, let's just say that even if it were a classic like Moby Dick, I still would have to pass on it. I can't bring myself to read that combination of words and not get physically ill.

I went to Amazon with every intention of buying the e-version of the first book but once I read that the flagship of the modern armada was the "USS Hillary Clinton" named after our "greatest wartime president"… well, let's just say that even if it were a classic like Moby Dick, I still would have to pass on it. I can't bring myself to read that combination of words and not get physically ill.

Ain't none of that in 1632.

Please forgive him; he's an Aussie, and don't know no better.

S M Sterling's started yet another alt.history series, and it's a doozy... Taft dies just before the 1912 Convention, so instead of losing a third party challenge, TR is nominated and wins the White House back. His muscular Progressivism leads to the passage of the ERA, and the central character is a Mexican American-Irish American spy and her (remember that ERA) adventures against the Second Reich. Airships, Colt-Browning Monitors, and Steampunk gadgetry galore. BLACK CHAMBER and THEATER OF SPIES are already out, and SHADOWS OF ANNIHILATION follows come March. Do NOT miss this series!

Last Edited:
Earlier in the year I read a nonfiction history book entitled Hawaii Under the Rising Sun: Japan's Plan for Conquest After Pearl Harbor, by John J. Stephan (University of Hawaii Press, 2001) that covered the planning for an invasion of the aforementioned islands. Of course, in real history, they did not do so during the attack on Pearl Harbor, and later got their behinds handed to them at Midway. It was interesting read in many respects.

Then I found Harry Turtledove wrote a two book series on the "what if" of an Imperial Japanese invasion of the Hawaiian islands at the time of Pearl. I've started the first of the two books (Days of Infamy, Roc Books, 2004) and it is pretty good so far.

Anywho, just passing it along in case others find the premise of interest. Cheers. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top