JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I finished the first book, and started the second, of the three part series "The Hot War" by Harry Turtledove. It got me to thinking of how I enjoy alternative history, but haven't read enough of said genre. It thought I'd toss it out there for discussion: what are some of your favorite alternative history books and films? Why so? Any you didn't care for?

I'll get us started:

• The Man in the High Castle (1962), by Philip K. Dick: This one is an early example of a book in the genre. It is of an alternate history where the Allies lost the Second World War and the victorious Axis have carved up the former US. It has some science fiction and mystical elements too.
  • The Man in the High Castle (2015—present) series: This is a television series very loosely based upon the aforementioned. It is, in my humble opinion, outstanding. Ridley Scott (who also did Alien and Blade Runner) created a haunting alternative world in which part of the former United States is under Nazi occupation and the other Japanese. Beyond the taut story in the paranoid parallel universe, there are plenty of treats for the history fan. I binged watched each season when they came out.
  • Resurrection Day (1999), by Brendan DuBois: In this book, the point of divergence is the Cuban Missile Crisis did not end well. The two superpowers nuke each other, our European allies do nothing and are largely spared, and the two former powers are in chaos. The text follows a reporter piecing together what really caused the conflict.
  • Bombs Away (2015), by Harry Turtledove: This the first in a three book series called "The Hot War". The point of divergence in this one is Harry Truman authorizes atomic weapons in the Korean War and it quickly escalates to a full blown Third World War. The story is told through the eyes of many different people, military and civilian, on both sides of the fictional conflict.
(And there are some I know doubt have forgotten.)

We've been watching The Man In The High Castle (Amazon TV series) and love it. The characters are uniformly excellent and (mostly) believable. The visuals are amazing, which I expect from a show involving Ridley Scott.

Harry Turtledove, The Guns of the South. Apartheid-believer South Africans run AK47s to General Lee. While the Confederates win the war, the Apartheidists don't get what they hoped for when Lee gets a chance to see the verdict of history...

Harry Harrison, Stars and Stripes trilogy: Many factual errors, but an entertaining romp about "what if Victoria poked the bear the wrong way" in the middle of the Civil War.

My father was a big fan of The Guns of the South. IIRC, my wife enjoyed it too. I need to read the text someday.

I had not heard of the Stars and Stripes books, but will check it out. Thanks. :)

Marching through Georgia.
SM Stirling wanted to tell the story of the 300 Spartans in modern WW2 going up against the Waffen SS. Unfortunately, an accurate picture of Sparta is not very PC.

Not a book but...
Back in high school I used to play Squad Leader and Dungeons and Dragons a lot...
So it wasn't too far of a leap to combine the two...
While it may seem like a good idea , a Panzerfaust isn't the best against a troll...:eek::D

Cool thread...thanks.
Andy

One I had forgotten about because I read it so long ago was 1945 by Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen. It is an alternate version of World War II in which the US went to war with Japan, but did not declare war on Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy. The Axis won in Europe, but lost in the Pacific, thus setting up an alternative Cold War. It was so long ago that I read it that I don't recall much, but, IIRC, it was an interesting read.

Military History Quarterly put out a book a number of years ago called : "What If..."
Both What If 1 and 2 have been repented in one volume...these are well worth looking up as they examine many real world military decisions and ask What if....
Andy
Sorry not fiction....and sorry for the thread drift...

Not a book but...
Back in high school I used to play Squad Leader and Dungeons and Dragons a lot...
So it wasn't too far of a leap to combine the two...
While it may seem like a good idea , a Panzerfaust isn't the best against a troll...:eek::D

Cool thread...thanks.
Andy
I'll try to cut back my ragging on D&D Dorks, if they're the cloth that gets cut into guys like you. :p LOL

a Panzerfaust isn't the best against a troll...

Good point. However, you could setup a high tech, assault donkey with a panzerfaust to maximize the mayhem.

picccszn30kv8.jpg

Kind of off topic a little, but I just finished up a TV series I checked out from the library called Timeless. It has to do with time travel and changing history. There are two time machines, one gets stolen, and a team is assembled to use the prototype time machine to go back in time and repair the time line. I found it to be a fun series to watch, it ran for two years.

Ron

I'll try to cut back my ragging on D&D Dorks, if they're the cloth that gets cut into guys like you. :p LOL
Reading as a kid :
Northwest Passage ...lead me to read about the real life Robert Rogers...
Then reading The Lord of the Rings ....and having a Ranger as a main character...
Might have influenced my decision making in going and passing Ranger School , while in the Army....
And yeah I took a lot of ragging on for that...
So rag away...:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews