JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks as post states just wondering what ammo some of you prefer and trust for your 9mm EDC. I received a few boxes of barnes tac 9mm +p from a buddy who works retail and been using it and trusted It till seeing some reviews like this

So what do you guys like?

Hey folks as post states just wondering what ammo some of you prefer and trust for your 9mm EDC. I received a few boxes of barnes tac 9mm +p from a buddy who works retail and been using it and trusted It till seeing some reviews like this

1050fps for a "+P" 115? lolz no

I figure any 9mm I shoot will work for SD. Head shots are not picky.

Having said that; I do use a federal hollow point in the 9 I keep loaded in the house but mostly for over penetration concerns - not because I think a 9mm round needs anything fancy to stop a threat to me or my own.

A bonded 115 hollow point going an honest 1400 plus out of a 4" will kill stuff.. really good. other stuff works good too but for 200lb creatures, that works really good

Hey certaindeaf thanks for the great info. After your post did some research and found this among other positive feedback on the underwoods.
Promptly ordered 4 boxes.... Price is awesome:D. Can't wait to shoot em. Went with the 124 +p+

deadhorse_zps26ed72e3.gif

I spent about five minutes using the search function and found this:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/favorite-defensive-carry-ammunition.12031/#post-86101

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/whats-your-favorite-9mm-and-why.45643/

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/favorite-defensive-carry-ammunition.12031/#post-86101

I'm sure there's much more.

So, I suppose once a topic is discussed on a forum, it should never be discussed again? Sheesh! It's a forum, let people talk. You know, there may be new people that would like a chance to weigh in. I seriously doubt everything that's been said on the subject has been discussed already :rolleyes:

Thanks Bamcis duly noted. Quick responses got me all I needed and more , but I look forward to hearing anyone elses preferences on the subject. As etrain was saying its fun to mingle and discuss things in the present. ;)Sometimes a dead horse needs a good seeing too....

Last Edited:
So, I suppose once a topic is discussed on a forum, it should never be discussed again? Sheesh! It's a forum, let people talk. You know, there may be new people that would like a chance to weigh in. I seriously doubt everything that's been said on the subject has been discussed already :rolleyes:

Thanks Bamcis duly noted. Quick responses got me all I needed and more , but I look forward to hearing anyone elses preferences on the subject. As etrain was saying its fun to mingle and discuss things in the present. ;)Sometimes a dead horse needs a good seeing too....

Perhaps you're both right. My apologies Quacky. But this topic comes up every few months, especially from new members.

I know, I know we all need to start somewhere. But sometimes I think it be better to dig up an old thread and add any new pertinent information or ask for or discuss clarification. Or hell, even refer to an old thread or two and ask if anyone's opinion(s) have changed and if so why.

Having said that, here's what I used to carry in mine because, well, as the box says "just in case":

hor90262.jpg

Besides, Hornady puts out really good stuff and these are really just Hornady Critical Defense rounds repackaged.

Now I carry these:

Federal%209mm%20hydra%20shok%20P9HS1.jpg

I made the switch because it seems the crimp wasn't tight enough in the Zombie rounds and the bullets would "work" themselves deeper into the case from repeated loading and unloading. Before switching I did a little research and found many LE agencies use this as their duty round.

Now I carry these:
Before switching I did a little research and found many LE agencies use this as their duty round.

+1 ^^ for the Federal Premium.

I tossed the box but that is definitely what I have in mine right now.

They were a birthday gift from a good friend who is very competent and wise in most things firearms or not :confused:. He told me to replace whatever I had in my pistol with these and went thru a few reasons why; I can't remember what they were but I have trusted him with my life many times before and he has yet to let me down.:cool:

I still keep a spare mag filled with plain jane 115grain FMJ rounds; I've seen what they have done to some of my targets and I've never had an issue with them at the range or on the mountain. I'm really not a caliber or brand snob - consistency to repeatedly go where I want them too is my biggest concern. After that it's up to me when it's all said and done.

That's why my dogs are watch dogs not guard dogs; that's my job;)

Didn't mean to right a novel...

Federal 115gr +P+ (9BPLE)..surprisingly soft shooter. Got half a case recently for $17/box so have been carrying that in my Sig 229. Very accurate and reliable.

Other than that usually Ranger, Gold Dot, or HST. Not picky about grain weight these days but like light for summer heavy for winter.

Perhaps you're both right. My apologies Quacky. But this topic comes up every few months, especially from new members.

I know, I know we all need to start somewhere. But sometimes I think it be better to dig up an old thread and add any new pertinent information or ask for or discuss clarification. Or hell, even refer to an old thread or two and ask if anyone's opinion(s) have changed and if so why.

Not trying to be too hard on you - but I think too many folks assume the person asking the question hasn't already looked through the forum or already done some research. That's what I do before I ask a question. But even then, I still sometimes like to ask. Who knows, maybe someone else has a different point of view, or maybe there's a new product on the market since the last thread. Heck, every time I go to the range I hear the same conversations. Sometimes folks just want to chat.

Federal 115gr +P+ (9BPLE)..surprisingly soft shooter. Got half a case recently for $17/box so have been carrying that in my Sig 229. Very accurate and reliable.

Other than that usually Ranger, Gold Dot, or HST. Not picky about grain weight these days but like light for summer heavy for winter.

Where did you find those 9BPLE's? I've been looking for them for a while, but everywhere I've looked as been out of stock for ages.

Not trying to be too hard on you - but I think too many folks assume the person asking the question hasn't already looked through the forum or already done some research. That's what I do before I ask a question. But even then, I still sometimes like to ask. Who knows, maybe someone else has a different point of view, or maybe there's a new product on the market since the last thread. Heck, every time I go to the range I hear the same conversations. Sometimes folks just want to chat.

Where did you find those 9BPLE's? I've been looking for them for a while, but everywhere I've looked as been out of stock for ages.

I buy all my defensive ammo from SGammo.com. They had the 9BPLE for a few weeks awhile back. You can sign up for an in stock notification there. They also have std pressure 9BP and every other major JHP for (EDIT)around .50c/rd.

Last Edited:
Thanks Steve M I have watched Shootingthebull410 and find his channel quite informative and fun heard about him in a GunsAndAmmo article awhile back. For ammo or round efficiency I bounce between him, Brassfetcher, tnoutdoors9 and of course Ayoob. I've been looking for some Gold-Dots or Rangers for awhile LGS never has them and they're first to sell out online. I like what I've researched and seen on these Underwoods Certaindeaf suggested. They use Gold Dot bullets and chronos show'em coming in just below 357 SIG and I definitely like the price so I'm excited to try those out.

Last Edited:
No kidding.. a "+P" 115 going 1050 is laughable.
Also, as everyone knows, some pistols are only rated for standard pressure ammunition and that regular use of hot ammo will certainly accelerate wear. This hot ammo that we're talking about is for just serious work.. to save your life rare

Yeah yeah... Pitiful +p I know. I'm just glad I didn't pay full price for those buggers, ridiculously expensive for a sub par product. I know the same copper bullets loaded by Cor-Bon and DoubleTap are highly regarded for SD , but Barnes dropped the ball. Thanks for a nudge in the right direction Certaindeaf.

As far as +p 9mm ballistically it is the lowest I will consider for SD in this caliber. Of course your pistol specs and manual should be reviewed before loading said rounds. As said above Other than testing feed and accuracy reliability these rounds will only be used when "Doin' Work" time arrives...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top