Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Favorite 9 load

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by reloadem, Jun 1, 2009.

1. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

Reloaders,

What is your favorite 124gr hp 9mm load? I need to build a load for the wife's gun and I already have the 124 gr bullets. This will be a training round for her P2000.

2. Randini

Randini Salem Member

Do you have powder on hand or are you open to looking for powder.

3. reloadem

I have Bullseye, Unique, 2400, AA #5, HP38, Zip, Silhouette, and True Blue. Primers too. Now that you all know what I have. Do you have a favorite load for any of those powders?

4. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

Well now that you mentioned powder! I really like 4.5 grains of HP38 under a 124gr bullet. I was loading fmj so don't think my oal of 1.11 would work for a HP.

Steven

5. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

6. reloadem

Thanks Andy, that site is great

I have power pistol too

Steven, have you ever chrono'd that load?

7. aquariumjunky

Crono'd load above. Ya I was getting just under 1000 fps. I did not take notes so cant give exact figures. It was out of my sig226 and cycled the gun well. It was light on recoil and would probally still be using that load if I did not switch to 115 montana gold bullets.

It was pretty much a bottom of the load range load. Besides my manuals I use this site a lot.

http://www.hodgdon.com/
    Check it out. It covers Hodgdon,Winchester,and IMR powders I believe.

Steven

8. reloadem

I do check Hodgdon, thanks.

How are you liking the Montana Gold? That is what I just started using in the 124hp for the 9, and I have 185hp in 45acp.

9. aquariumjunky

Well on the montana golds I think I am on my third case of them so far. So about 9000 Between me and a couple of buddies) down range so far and I absolutly love them! I shoot the complete metal jackets just to make my little kids not so dumb like thier papa.

Can't give them a big enough thumbs up. Work great in my PF-9,Sig226,PC9(carbine) My buddies Glock19,XD9,Springfield1911,and MarlinCamp9.

Steven

10. reloadem

huh:confused:

11. aquariumjunky

The thinking goes like this. When the powder ignites a small amount of the exposed lead at the base of the bullet would get vaporized and settle on my clothes. I come home to a 3 and 5 year old they hug me before I get a chance to shower and change. They pick thier nose and eat it transfering lead into thier digestive track. So i buy complete metal jacket which as a copper base(think it is copper) so slightly less lead in theory is deposited on my clothes. At the young ages of 3 and 5 the lead can if significant can lead to decreased mental function. At older ages not so much. So it might not really do anything but at least it makes me feel a tiny bit better to shoot complete metal jacket bullets when I can.

Flame me if you want people some argue this point and call me crazy but is it worth it with little kids? (remember way back smoking was not bad for you either)

Steven

12. reloadem

sounds good to me, and if it make s you feel better, great. The prices at MG are so good anyway.

13. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

You are being responsible. Never apologize for being too cautious.

14. reloadem

What are your favorite powders for a 9mm?

15. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

It's hard to beat unique for a 9mm load

16. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Portland, OR Member

As a rookie reloader, I'm curious what characteristics of a certain powder make it more or less suitable for a certain caliber; Burn rate? volume?

Thanks for the education!

17. MWS

MWS Oregon City,OR Member

I have the samething Gold's 185 hp in 45 acp... it's all that I'm going to use...They're great

18. colt44

colt44 La pine Member

When you have reied all these other loads try 5.2 grains of 4756. They will shoot under 2.5" groups at 25 yards all day with 115 Montana gold bullets and a 226 Zig

19. MWS

MWS Oregon City,OR Member

After boasting on how I liked Montana Gold bullets I had an issue where some of the bullets were a smaller diameter than the others . As small as .448 insted of the .451 as they should be. Has anyone else had this problem with Montana Gold Bullets??? Just wondering.

20. colt44

colt44 La pine Member

I cast all my own 45 bullets but the 115 grain 9mm's have really shot very well