JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, so never having fired a .25 ACP but plenty of .380.....compare it to a .22LR or .22WMR.......

And I sure hope you never have to empty a mag into someone's face.

Split the difference between a .22 Remington Special and a .380. The .380 launches a heavier bullet at the same velocity. See if you can borrow someone's Kel-Tec P32. It is lighter than the steel-framed pistols and isn't abusive at all. I like the all-steel pistols because they tend to shoot as if they were a 22. lr. Find a New Colt 1903 and try one of those. The longer barrel does the hot loads justice.

George S Patton loved his.

Last Edited:
What I enjoy about the .32 ACP is it's "controllability". I can empty..
That's the thing. Probably the bad thing. Even though you "can", that's a pretty lame thing to train/crow about, since you'll be out of ammo in one second. Good hits are what counts, no matter what you are fielding.

I've always thought if I have to empty a magazine in a defensive situation, I better have a DARNED good lawyer.

The 7.65 x 17 was a favorite of John Moses Browning because it was accurate. It may not be a "powerhouse" but bullet placement goes a long way in a short time. Trust me, three hot Underwood Defender loads in an aggressor's forehead or face will stop someone right now!

The 7.65 x 17 was a favorite of John Moses Browning because it was accurate. It may not be a "powerhouse" but bullet placement goes a long way in a short time. Trust me, three hot Underwood Defender loads in an aggressor's forehead or face will stop someone right now!
So......you have experiance with this? In my experiance one good 22 LR 5.56 or 45 will do the same. We still use 22LR in slaughter houses.

Brownings favorite was any thing he could sell......he was a great designer but the only thing he didn't sell was the superposed design that wasn't finished before his death.

.The .380 is simply a 9mm that's been emasculated..
The .380 is what it is. Call it "emasculated" if you're trying to compensate for something, perhaps. Who knows?
What I know is I've being "Keithing" that little number for about 40 years now (ball-parking).. with the Lee 105gr SWC.
Yea, take your "Eruptor" or whatever and git thee gone. lolz

upload_2017-9-20_19-12-3.jpeg

A friend of mine is an attorney that used to work with the Albuquerque, New Mexico Coroner and studied a large number of gunshot wounds. One particular shooting that he told of was the Gangster that shot the driver of a large American Sedan from the back seat with a cheap, striker-fired .380 ACP. The driver was shot at less than two feet in the back of the head. While the shot fired was a fatal wound, the officer from the Medical Examiner's office tilted the victim's head forward and a perfectly reloadable FMJ bullet rolled out of his mouth!

Not too powerful, was it?

A friend of mine is an attorney that used to work with the Albuquerque, New Mexico Coroner and studied a large number of gunshot wounds. One particular shooting that he told of was the Gangster that shot the driver of a large American Sedan from the back seat with a cheap, striker-fired .380 ACP. The driver was shot at less than two feet in the back of the head. While the shot fired was a fatal wound, the officer from the Medical Examiner's office tilted the victim's head forward and a perfectly reloadable FMJ bullet rolled out of his mouth!

This is why the .88 Magnum was developed. Schools/ed!

We can carry anything we want any place concealed or open in Idaho.....My "pocket" gun is a 45 LC American derringer loaded with hot hollow points. I usually have a 1911 45 Colt Commander handy or my 629 4". I have some great 32's, 380's, 40's, and 9mm's as well as 357's and whatever I want. None are smaller and simpler than one of my American's (I also have one in 45ACP). If Captain O's logic holds up, my double stack 45 LC is worth 6 32's. The idea of an extended fire fight requiring high capacity firearms is silly. Self defense is rarely more than one thug with a knife up close. My 1000 FPS 225 grain 45 LC hollow point rounds will be up to the challenge.

So @Captain O, since you breathed life into this old thread, I wonder what pistol/caliber/loading you would favor for a mountain lion defensive pistol? A .32acp isn't even close to a .30 carbine and that'd be pretty lame..

It did the job no?

We can carry anything we want any place concealed or open in Idaho.....My "pocket" gun is a 45 LC American derringer loaded with hot hollow points. I usually have a 1911 45 Colt Commander handy or my 629 4". I have some great 32's, 380's, 40's, and 9mm's as well as 357's and whatever I want. None are smaller and simpler than one of my American's (I also have one in 45ACP). If Captain O's logic holds up, my double stack 45 LC is worth 6 32's. The idea of an extended fire fight requiring high capacity firearms is silly. Self defense is rarely more than one thug with a knife up close. My 1000 FPS 225 grain 45 LC hollow point rounds will be up to the challenge.

That's fine. As long as it works for you when the chips are down, I want it to work for you. Just about anything beats vulgar language and a fist full of keys.

I'd bet if it was Underwood ammo the victim wouldn't have been spitting out lead like a popcorn popper.

I'd bet if it was Underwood ammo the victim wouldn't have been spitting out lead like a popcorn popper.

True that. This was one of the cheap cast-zinc frame and slide, striker-fired type pistols. Not real high quality, but it effectively fired the least costly .380 loads that the little punk probably bought off the street.

So what else is new?

Last Edited: