Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Favorite .32 ACP defense round?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Brutus57, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Hi,

Doesn't appear that my MAB 7.65 Model D will sell or trade:cool:. SOOOOOOO, I think I will use it as a 5th line of defense against the Zombie Apocalypse. Anybody recommend a good .32 ACP round?

Cheers,

Brutus Out

2. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Probably the hottest FMJ that your gun will shoot; I think most would argue penetration of FMJ over expansion of a .32 HP. Just my opinion, of course!

3. XSubSailor

XSubSailor SW WA Active Member

I don't think I've ever heard ".32ACP" and "defense round" used in the same sentence before...

4. Creeper

Creeper Ravensdale, WA. Member

Winchester Silver Tip has been a good round for decades... and the Fiocchi Extrema with Hornady XTP bullet works nicely. Both expand very reliably at the low velocities a .32ACP produces.

5. hariph creek

hariph creek vancouver, wa. Active Member

Firmly in the FMJ camp.

brentb636 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

My wife has a Beretta Tomcat .32 that's great. I don't want to prejudice you in making your own choice, but here's a nice chart of .32 ammo ballistics that might help. 32 ACP Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

7. brentb636

brentb636 Holland, mi Active Member

I have a FEG AP7 32ACP, and if I were looking at a SD round, I'd pick the Buffalo Bore Hardcast load, and put in a heavier recoil spring from gunsprings.com . Don't know if you have those options.

8. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

RBCD is what I run in mine if not them WW-silvertips.

9. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Nice charts, thanks for that link :thumbup:

10. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Both your pistol and my FN Model 1922 are based on the FN Model 1910. These older pistols were designed to run on standard pressure FMJ loads. I shoot the Winchester 71 grain FMJ cartridge through my Model 1922 and have never had a hiccup with it.

11. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Thanks, my plans are to plink with it and just one more pistol if I need to give one to somebody during SHTF. My primary is a .45 and my secondary a .380.

Apparently they worked OK for some European police agencies.

Brutus Out

12. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

My personal experience with a Kel Tec P32 using Winchester Silvertips to humanely put down deer that had been hit by cars ( on two seperate occasions) caused me to get rid of the gun. It took multiple head shots to put the animals down. From what I could see, the rounds barely penetrated the skull. I shot a 3 point buck right between the eyes at a range of about 5 feet and the darn thing proceeded to flail around and actually get up on its feet and walk a couple of steps before falling and trying to crawl away. I seriously think a .22 would have done a better job, when I was kid my stepdad used to poach deer that were in our garden with a .22 rifle at 40 yards. He would hit them in the head and they dropped like a rock. I got rid of that P-32 and now my "pocket gun" is a Ruger LCR loaded with .38+P hollowoints.