JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a couple of months back I grabbed up a 1909 Argentine Cavalry Carbine, shot it and fell for it hard !
What's not to like? Quick handling, light & short, and powerful, in 7.65 x 53 Mauser. So I found a 1908 Brazilian action and another 1909 carbine barrel and stock. Assembled it all myself, and had my gunsmith head-space it,. Shot it today, Freakin Awesome!! Not great, but not bad either! Now to fine tune loads.
mauser carbines 013.JPG 1909-1908 008.JPG

mauser carbines 013.JPG

1909-1908 008.JPG

I purchased a cosmoline-coated Model 1909 rifle and removed the grease to uncover a fine shooter in excellent condition! I located some Norma brass, and loaded 150 grain bullets for it, and it grouped well. I later had the 29.1-inch barrel cut to 24 inches and crowned, installed a Williams hooded front sight ramp, purchased a Ram-Line stock for it, and that rifle still shoots with praiseworthy accuracy. I purchased this rifle because I wanted the M1909 action; I did not expect it to perform as accurately as it does. Good luck with your cavalry carbine. I hope it serves you at least as well as my M1909 has served me.

thanks Backfire, I still have to get the top wood, barrel band/swivel, and nosecap, hopefully the pressure from those parts will stifle some of the barrel vibration and tighten up those groups. I currently have a half dozen different loads(10 rnds each) in 150 grn and half dozen (same) in 180 grn. Going back out this weekend to kill some more plates and see what she does! Wish I could find some Hornady .312" bullets.

Tahoe2,
I saw two boxes of Speer 150 grain Hot-Cor SP bullets (.311) on the shelf at Sportsmen's Warehouse off Johnson Creek & 82nd Street on Saturday. I bought one of them, and left the other on the shelf. I loaded 40 rounds this weekend. These bullets typically work well for me.
All the best,
Ed

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews