JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been battling with my weight for a long time - essentially ever since getting married again 7 years ago. I don't *look* as heavy as I am, but last time I got on one, I tipped the scale to 305lbs, and I'm only 6'4". Finding pants for a tall fat man is almost impossible. My waist size right now is 44 inches (I wear 46's to accommodate comfortable IWB carry) and my inseam is 34 (actually a bit longer, but 34 is the only inseam I can find pants in.)

I've had some decent success in the past loosing the weight, but it all comes back because when it comes to food I've had the will power of a 3 year old in a candy store. In the past I've tried totally eliminating things like soda, ground beef, fried foods etc. They all pretty much worked to an extent - I once went 40 or 41 days without eating any ground beef. I lost 15 lbs (I ate a lot of greasy shatty cheese burgers for lunch). I've cut out sodas before, and lost about the same (though, not at the same time as ditching ground beef). I went 20 days without fried foods once and lost 5 lbs. But I keep falling off the health-food truck and gain back every pound and then some.

I've tried diet + exercise, wind up finding excuses to eat garbage and not exercise.

And so I'm trying again. For a week and a half now I've been trying the Atkins approach - I've cut my carb intake to almost nothing, and been munching on meats and veggies - eliminated starches and drastically reduced my fruit intake (still in phase 1).

I know simply eliminating potatoes from my diet is going to be good for me, because my body lately has seemed to be rejecting potatoes (at least in the fatty deep fried french fry form - no matter how much I chewed them up I'd burp up nasty tater chunks hours later.) and every time I eat a bunch of starchy junk I feel like crap. I'm tired of that feeling.

I didn't step on a scale before making the decision this time. I actually could give two squirts what I weigh, it's the inches - both around my neck and my belly that I want gone. I want to be healthier to stave off any of the nasty weight-releated illnesses that run in my family (of mostly fatties themselves) and not wind up dead in my early 30's like my late brother in law did from a heart attack (he was 350 lbs and all of 5'10 - so his pumper was working a bit harder than mine.)

The new DOT regs overweight people helped spark the motivation this time - my med card comes up for renewal in January, and by damned I don't intend to be so damn fat by then, especially around my neck. Also, I think I might be borderline with sleep apnea - if I sleep on my back some nights I wake up feeling like I'm choking. If I sleep on my belly I'm fine. I think shedding inches will do that some good too. I don't want to wear a damn darth vader mask and use a CPAP for the rest of my life either.

Every time I try to find a place to eat, or stop into a grocery store it becomes a test of will power to avoid the sugary garbage I used to eat, and holy bejezus do I miss pasta, bread, bagels, waffles, pancakes, ice cream, pizza... I never thought I'd say I was tired of eating beef and fajita veggies, but last week I wound up having that 5 nights in a row because it was quick and easy to make, and it wasn't starchy and awful for me.

I've also tried working some walking into my daily routine when I can - down time between calls I've been trying to get out of the truck and walk. It's not a lot, but its a start.

I think I'm going to start measuring my waist at the end of my 2nd full week doing the Atkins diet, and then weekly from there on out. I may even step on the scale. I'll post up the results here, and make it a to-do item every week to keep myself on track. My goal is to loose 6 inches off my waist by January - so that I could fit into a 38 waist pant again, which is what I was in 7 years ago. I'd say my goal was 36 inches, but I haven't had a 36 inch waist since I was 18. I also want my neck to be 16 inches around, or maybe less.

I lost weight by avoiding everything that I could identify to have fructose and especially high fructose corn syrup in it.
Not only does high fructose corn syrup mess with your cholesterol levels, it also represses the bodys you have eaten and are getting full response to food.

Just my two cents.

I lost 65 pounds permanently on the Atkins system. If you are feeling cruddy when you eat starches you likely have blood sugar issues and if you aren't diabetic already you are on that path. Atkins did wonders for me. By cutting out the carbs I got my brain back, stopped having digestive problems, and didn't toot a single time when I was on it.

Also do a forum search on how Burt Gummer lost weight and how well it's worked out for him physically. I think that even "Mr. Happy" got even happier.

Wishing you well in your endeavor. I am 5' 10" tall and used to weigh 350 pounds. I had diabetes, sleep apnea, and aches and pains. I finally decided to lose weight and stated counting calories and walking. After 11 months I had gotten down to 205, was no longer taking any medication for my diabetes and the sleep problems went away. I did not restrict myself from any food. If you want a food it is better to have it and just count the calories or otherwise once the craving hits really hard you will binge on it and really overeat. Every time you get out of your truck walk around it a couple of times, you will be surprised how much exercise that really is. Again, Good luck.

45 years old, 6'2" and around 175.
Rarely drink soda and quit drinking 2 years ago.
Highly active around 12 hrs a day and eat once sometimes twice a day.
I snack on trail mix throughout the day if I feel like munching on something.

But usually I can eat anything and vast amounts of it and barely gain a pound.
Drinking on the other hand, lost 15 lbs when I stopped that.

Here are a few ideas to help you along. Courtesy USMC! OOH-RAH!
All easily do-able in any parking lot and help to burn excess calories consumed.

Side Straddle Hops
Side straddle hops, or jumping jacks, are used as a warm-up. To perform the side straddle hop, stand up straight with your feet together and your arms down by your sides. In one movement, jump up and land with your feet just beyond shoulder width apart while bringing your hands together over your head. Then, jump back to the start position.
Wide Grip Push-Ups
Wide grip push-ups are done to target the muscles in your chest and shoulders. Start by placing your hands on the floor about shoulder width apart, with your legs extended and toes touching the ground. Lower yourself to the ground until your elbows are at a 90-degree angle. Return to the starting position.

Hand-to-Knee Squats
Hand-to-knee squats target your quadriceps, hamstrings and gluteals. Stand up straight with your back flat, head up and feet shoulder width apart. Lower your body by bending the knees until your hands touch the outside of your knees. Return to the start position. The difficulty of this exercise can be increased by holding the squat position for eight to 10 seconds.
Standing Calf Raises
To work the calf muscles, stand up straight with your hands to the side and feet about eight inches apart. Slowly rise up on your toes, lifting your heels off the floor. Return to the start position. To increase difficulty, hold the position for eight to 10 seconds.
Standing Toe Raises
To work your shin muscles, stand up straight with your hands to the side and feet about eight inches apart. Lift the toes of one foot off the ground, return to the start position, and then lift the toes of your other foot off the ground. Return to the start position.
Back Extensions
This exercise is used to work the lower back muscles. Start by lying on the ground facedown. Place your hands on the back of your head with your fingers interlocked. Raise your head, chest and feet three to four inches off the ground while tightening your buttocks and lower back muscles. Slowly return to the start position. To increase difficulty, do not your lift feet off the ground.

Rocky,
Where's the stationary front leaning rest position? No sit ups or crunches? The USMC certainly knows how to burn some fat from their boots.

Portion control and exercise. Burn more than intake. Eat normal good food (not FF), just less and sweat every day. Find things to do that are fun that motivate you and make you sweat and do them a lot.

And eat heavier meals in the AM, lighter in the PM

Last Edited:
Knew something was missing! Thanks!
Crunches

Crunches are used to target the abdominal muscles, which are part of your core muscles. To perform crunches, lie on your back with knees bent at a 90-degree angle and your hands across your chest. Tighten you abdominal muscles and raise your head and neck until your shoulders are off the floor. Slowly return to the floor.

Personal fav's include....
Bend&thrust and Mountain Climbers!

There are some easy ways to eat "healthier" and do some basic exercises that can make a huge difference. Being healthy and losing excess weight is more about nutrition than being a steroid freak in the gym.
I've worked at a gym for a third of my life. And I can tell you it's hard even for guys like me that were never overweight. But i've had back problems that get worse when not in better shape.
It's easy to not do something. Or to do the wrong thing.
What I always think about is being a tough guy. I'm stubborn and hate that fact that I can take the "easy" way out.

Portion control is so important, and getting your body to work in your favor. Eat healthy snacks and small meals 4-5 times a day.
Not eating all day and then eating a huge meal is so bad for you, or just going on the "bird" diet.
The more you fuel your body with the right things it will amaze you how the body reacts and

Find a friend who has similar goals and use that to push each other, make challenges and goals, and celebrate the little victories.
One important thing to do when "dieting" is to have "cheat meals" once a week. NOT eating three pizzas and a 2 liter of cola by yourself. But celebrate a week of good eating by having a good meal.
It's amazing how you feel when you eat good for a while then try to eat fast food or something and what a gut bomb it creates. Have pepto tabs ready!

The worst thing you can do is completely cut out foods (carbs) believe in fad diets, or magic pills.
If you believe in magic pills, i'll sell you a truck load.

I'd believe in magic beans before magic pills - magic beans are cooler.

I've been on the Atkins now for two weeks (I had to check which day I actually started it, and it was 2 weeks ago today) - and so far so good. My cravings for sugary junk are starting to come into control a bit - I realized today that I can walk into a convenience store to buy water without two glances toward the candy bar isle. I'm not saying there's no carb cravings - there are, but they don't seem as bad as they were last week. It's feeling like when I had cut out hamburgers from my diet in the past - that first week or two was hard - then it became normal - I didn't fall off the no burger wagon until I let myself have "just one cheese burger" - just one cheese burger pretty quickly turned into a quarter pounder, which would turn into a double, then in a week I was back to eating the garbage.

I do notice that I don't feel tired after a meal anymore like I would having a high carb meal. I'm not feeling like I'm hitting a wall, energy wise by the late afternoon. I'm still trying to get myself to take healthy snacks to consume more frequently throughout the day. I'm drinking anywhere from 2 liters to 6 liters of water a day depending on temperature and physical exertion.

The other day my in laws brought over a bathroom scale for my wife, and I hopped on after a shower. I was surprised, because the last time I've stepped on a scale was when I renewed my DOT med card in Feb. of 2013. I was 305 then, and the other day when I stepped on the scale it read 280. I almost wish now that I'd weighed myself at the start of this just to get an idea. Like I said in my first post though - it's not so much the weight itself I'm concerned with getting rid of, it's inches off my neck and belly. I can't say my pants are looser yet - and that doesn't really surprise me. 2 weeks in to any new healthier eating / exercise plan and I've never noticed a big change before. So in another 2 weeks I'll get back on the scale and see what it says, and I'll see what my belly is taping out to.

Having a friend with similar goals would be nice - but I don't have any that have those goals. The friends I see most often are either happy with their bodies, or they're already fit. And that's kind of why I started this thread - to keep myself motivated. I'd rather post positive updates and keep it alive and help keep motivated, rather than let it die or post up that I've gained weight.

My wife expressed interest in getting some bicycles, which I think is a great idea. She wants to start riding again, and I know it'd be a way to get out and get some exercise that I enjoyed doing in the past when we / I had a bike. One of my cousins (who is a member here) bikes to work every day and it keeps him pretty well in shape.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top