JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
According to the Statesaman Journal there was an accidental shooting which was fatal.

I can't link rite now, but I'll see if I can when I get back to a PC.

Happened on Hyacinth up in NorthEast around 7am Friday morning.

A drivers weapon discharged, fatally injuring him.

No more news on how it happened in that article. Any more news from other sources, perhaps a better paper up North?

Condolences to his family & friends, but I'd also like to know more on the particulars - being a new firearm owner. So I don't have an ND.

Condolences to his family & friends, but I'd also like to know more on the particulars - being a new firearm owner. So I don't have an ND.

Not sure the particulars on that, but to prevent a ND is pretty easy.

1. Keep your gun in a holster that either, keeps the hammer strapped or better yet one that completely covers the trigger Always. Even pocket pistols need one, even if it's just a cheap neoprene one.

2. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard (booker hooker off the bang switch).

That's it.;)

I've never had a ND and have carried a variety of CCW's and those two rules will keep you safe - I also do not use or engage the safeties on guns that have them.

Super tips, thanks Joe!

-Yup, finger off the trigger, until I'm ready to destroy something. Always.

In the defensive gun classes I've taken, they've shared stories of folks that have had ND's in cars because something got hung up on the gun, inside the trigger guard, inadvertently pressing the trigger, causing the gun to fire. One was a police officer. Another was a guy just getting out of his car. In each case, something got inside the trigger guard and caused the gun to discharge.

In one particular incident, the holster was a leather holster that had worn in such a way that it had folded down and ended up with a corner of the holster inside the trigger guard when the gun was inserted. The guy was very lucky and only shot the car, not himself.

Back to the classes I took - a common problem, with CC or open carry, happens when holstering or re-holstering the gun. It's not difficult for clothing to get caught in the holster, worse, in the trigger guard, setting up a very dangerous situation. In our class, every single time we re-holstered our gun, we were taught to sweep our hand from back to front between the holster and our body - if clothing is caught in the holster, you'll notice it then, and can fix the situation. I can tell you I do that now every single time I holster my gun, without fail.

I would also add that for some odd reason, sometimes my gun doesn't holster like it should - I get some kind of resistance. Maybe it's clothing caught or maybe just the position of the holster, either way, if I encounter resistance, I stop right away and pull the gun gently back out again, then check things over, adjust if necessary and re-holster. Never had an ND and work hard to make sure it never will happen.

As our instructor reminded us numerous times - re-holstering is not something you need to rush, that's usually only for drawing your gun in defense. Take your time, be deliberate and be certain nothing is caught inside that trigger guard.

Last Edited:
Practice when in your home ... holstering , drawing etc ..
All from different chairs , seats etc ...
Try wearing different clothes to see how you draw and re holster.
See just what you wear and how you wear it to see if it covers your holster.
What worked and fit well that day at the gun store may not be so with other clothes or how you sit and stand some where else ...
It is tough and can be costly to find a good holster that fits your gun and you ... Might as well get to "know" it well.
Andy

Last Edited:
Or, buy a holster that you can take on and off without taking the gun out of it. I love my nate tactical holster for just that reason. Only time the gun comes out is to clean, shoot, or dry fire exercises.

Practice when in your home ... holstering , drawing etc ..
All from different chairs , seats etc ...
Try wearing different clothes to see how you draw and re holster.
See just what you wear and how you wear it to see if it covers your holster.
What worked and fit well that day at the gun store may not be so with other clothes or how you sit and stand some where else ...
It is tough and can be costly to find a good holster that fits your gun and you ... Might as well get to "know" it well.
Andy
... and do that with an unloaded gun.

According to the Statesaman Journal there was an accidental shooting which was fatal.

I can't link rite now, but I'll see if I can when I get back to a PC.

Happened on Hyacinth up in NorthEast around 7am Friday morning.

A drivers weapon discharged, fatally injuring him.

No more news on how it happened in that article. Any more news from other sources, perhaps a better paper up North?

Another lesson is don't fiddle with your gun while you're driving. If it's uncomfortable or not sitting in the holster right, pull over and give it your full attention.

A whole bunch of great information - thanks guys!

On that note, I suppose it doesn't really matter what happened in the incident on Friday, so long as *I* ALWAYS FOLLOW GOOD HABITS.

Just a bit of curiosity got to me I suppose, & that it occurred just a few miles from my house.

Well yeah ... I was hoping that went without saying ... As the saying goes. :)
But this is a thread about an ND ... So yep if you are practicing , be sure your gun is unloaded .
Andy

Thats what you would think but a little girl here locally was shot and killed by her mother's boyfriend a few years ago when he was practicing his draw. The bullet went through the wall and hit her while she was playing outside.

Thats what you would think but a little girl here locally was shot and killed by her mother's boyfriend a few years ago when he was practicing his draw. The bullet went through the wall and hit her while she was playing outside.

That was in Milwaukie I think.
Several years ago there was a new recruit to the Tualatin PD who was practicing his draw in his house when his wife came home, he didn't hear her and she opened the door as he was practing looking at the mirror on the backside. Shot and killed her.
How horrible.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top