JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Video is slightly graphic but shows the importance of making sure the threat is down for good.

LiveLeak.com - Off duty cop kills two robbers and also dies shortly after getting shot.

Just an observation but when the policeman was initially pushed back in to the store by BG #1 and not shot, it may have been a hint to him that they just wanted money. Not sure but just an observation. As a policeman he may have felt obligated. As a CCW holder, I can't say what I would have done there. BG #2 sitting on a motorcycle, not sure how big the threat of bodily harm or death was there. BG #1 definitely needed more rounds. At the end of the day it's about survival and coming home.

How did bad guy #1 in the green t-shirt take a point blank range center of mass shot (right to the chest) and still be coordinated enough to run outside and shoot the officer? I am a fairly big guy but if you shot me in the center of my chest with anything .380 or larger I think that would be it for me. Edit > he could have been shot in the shoulder, video isn't that great.

I agree, two shots before he turned his back on him like that.

Too bad people just stand around loitering while the officer is dying. I would have been talking to him and asking him to hang in there, put my shirt under his head - something.

Whilst a tragedy (3 lives lost over a a handful of dollars and one being an officer) videos like this provide lessons for people like us. Invaluable lessons as far as I'm concerned.

How did bad guy #1 in the green t-shirt take a point blank range center of mass shot (right to the chest) and still be coordinated enough to run outside and shoot the officer? I am a fairly big guy but if you shot me in the center of my chest with anything .380 or larger I think that would be it for me. Edit > he could have been shot in the shoulder, video isn't that great.

Too bad people just stand around loitering while the officer is dying. I would have been talking to him and asking him to hang in there, put my shirt under his head - something.

While I agree that a shot to the chest would take the fight out of most, adrenaline can do funny things. Also proves that handguns are poor man stoppers. I was also reading that the officer was most likely carrying FMJ rounds.

All I can say is if some brave officer died defending my life from thugs I'd at least be helping him, compressing the wound, keeping him out of shock if possible, talking to him - mostly thanking him. Not just lollygagging around watching him die from a distance. But then we live in a me me me society. Hero is right and a reminder that not all cops are bad.

Notice that this took place in Brazil - guess they have slightly different operating procedures down there. Shooting BG #1 is a no brainer for a cop (busy store lots of potential victims) shooting BG#2 here would likely have landed the cop in hot water. Sure the guy was a get-away driver but no weapon was visible (at least to me) unless he tried to ride at people. I'm not saying the guy did or didn't deserve what he got as he appeared to be a willing participant but there have been cases where someone unknowingly gave a ride to a buddy who happened to rob the store while inside. My best guess was that BG#1 took a lung shot first round or just nicked the heart and he had enough adrenaline to keep going until more bullets dropped him or he finally bled out.
Unfortunately the officer didn't get a chance to learn from his mistake. RIP

Some countries place a different value on human life. The police are something to avoid in counties like Brazil.
They have tendencies to make arrests just to close the case.

Adrenaline is an amazing thing. Years back, I took three point blank center mass shots before stopping two of my three attackers with subsequently fatal wounds.

Multiple threats, crowded situation, 5-shots...

I'd like to think I might not have made the same mistake, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If that was me, I wouldn't be at all confident that the guy on the bike wasn't going to start peppering the store with fire. Maybe he has a gun and I just can't see it, etc. With all the people in there, that could be an incredibly bad situation, so I understand going after the BG on the bike ASAP, either with fire or orders to show his hands.

Hell of a situation with 2 BGs, widely separated, crowded store, crowded street. that's just a nightmare situation all around.

I'm adding this video to my classroom section on the effects of GSWs though. It illustrates people's ability to take a man-killing wound and keep fighting long enough to kill you.

RIP hero.

A true hero. Sometimes dying like a lion is your least bad outcome.

He might have been more inclined to light that fapper up if he'd had 10+1 instead of 5.

You'll never catch me carrying a revolver.

Masaad Ayoob? tells the story about just going to get milk with his 5 shot .38 when two shot gun wielding robbers come into the store
Said the sig 226 went with him everywhere after that.

I would guess the first guy had some drugs flowing along with the adrenaline.
Problem with helping the cop could be getting into trouble when the back up arrived.Heck in china everyone would have left.

Who knows if the 1st perp might have even had some sort of armor that stopped penetration of the round? He had a Tshirt on, but you never know. Hard to tell but it looks like the cop just put a single round in badguy #1. As close as he was I am unsure as to why he did not put it in the head? He had suprise and range on his side, perfect chance to make it a one shot definite stop?

Looks like he got the guy on the bike to, and then contuinued to return fire from the ground as badguy 1 fled.

I can't tell from the video what kind of guns the off-duty cop and bad guy #1 had. Do we know what the caliber of the cop's weapon was? I might have missed something with my crappy computer monitor. Anyway, he was either outgunned or outshot.

Bad news when a cop shoots a bad guy and it turns out the bad guy has a better gun and/or better aim.

Yeah after the first shot or even with the first shot should have nailed him in the head.
But easier said than done. But it looked like he could have he was point blank with the first one but one would think point blank in the chest would have done a better job also, but maybe he was off center. But it seems in most defense classes they tell you two in the chest one in the head But easier said than done again when under pressure. But yeah all that for a few bucks but I think thing are only going to get worse as people get desperate as the economy gets worse.

If I lived in a Brazilian favela I might not be inclined to help a cop either - they're hardly more than just another gang, extorting, "disappearing," dealing....
I hate to talk that way, but they've got a bad history down there.

Now in China, when the BG goes down the cop steps up and pops him twice in the head. Period.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top