JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just watched a movie called fat, sick and nearly dead. It was an interesting movie about how a couple guys cut processed foods and drank juice for 60 days straight. One guy started out at 309lbs and the other one started at 429. The guy weighing in at 429 lost over 200lbs in 10 months. Amazing what good healthy foods and exercise will do for you!

After seeing that movie at the beginning of the year, I decided to get serious and change my diet. I was 262 and about 30 lbs of that was gained over the last three years. Lots of garbage food with co-workers at the end of the day. Not much in the way of exercise.

What was really motivating me was my feet. They were in brutal pain at the end of the day and I was even starting to develop an ankle spur which is super painful. Walking over gravel/rocks at the range was like torture.

Since the beginning of the year I've lost 40 lbs, now 222. My next goal is 215 by Sept. The more you lose the harder and slower the process. My feet have no problems now and that is great. Lots of energy also.

The weight loss is due to walking/jogging for 30 min every morning and completely cutting out garbage food entirely. Given the choice of limping around all day and eating pizza or being healthy I decided to be healthy.

I've ate more vegetables in the last five months than the previous ten years. Anyone really serious about losing weight can do it. No need to get fancy. Just starting eating real foods and disregard the garbage. That includes poisons like Energy drinks and 'diet' drinks (unfortunately, used to be a junkie; they are loaded with Aspartame which increases appetite.)

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fat_Sick_Nearly_Dead/70173634?trkid=2361637

Way to go Burt! After a fall from a power pole and three knee operations to get back on my feet, I had jumped to 242 LBS.
@ 6' this was killing me. I started out eating the good stuff. It's like you said Burt," Anyone really serious about losing weight can do it. No need to get fancy. Just starting eating real foods and disregard the garbage". 4 smalls a day, nothing but long smells after 6pm and a solid gallon of water thrown in.

The Doc actually gave me a PSA test when he seen how much weight I had lost in two visits, all good and a resting pulse rate of 62 and really good blood pressure for an old fart, according to him.

That was just over a year ago and now I hover between 192 & 195 with a 34" waist. It was a damn shame that I had let myself get like that, but I did it, plain and simple and had no excuses not to "undo" it. Now the Grand kids and I can chase each other all over the place and not have the old man gasping for 02 like an old puffer belly.

Both of the sons are Special OPS. military boys and were a great inspiration, they tore into me like terriers on rat, what a routine. thanks Steve and Trav!

Come archery season this year, the Elk had better be on top of their game, cause I'm coming for em, a three mile run just got a whole bunch easier, well at least more realistic:s0155:

Healthy foods and exercise not only make you feel better, but they will also prevent a bunch of other medical problems as well in the long term.

Michael Pollan says everything he's learned about food and health can be summed up in seven words: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Probably the first two words are most important. "Eat food" means to eat real food -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and, yes, fish and meat -- and to avoid what Pollan calls "edible food-like substances."

Here's how:
1.Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. "When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can't pronounce, ask yourself, "What are those things doing there?"

2.Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.

3.Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.

4. Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot. "There are exceptions -- honey -- but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren't food," Pollan says.

5.It is not just what you eat but how you eat. "Always leave the table a little hungry," Pollan says. "Many cultures have rules that you stop eating before you are full. In Japan, they say eat until you are four-fifths full. Islamic culture has a similar rule, and in German culture they say, 'Tie off the sack before it's full.'"

6.Families traditionally ate together, around a table and not a TV, at regular meal times. It's a good tradition. Enjoy meals with the people you love. "Remember when eating between meals felt wrong?" Pollan asks.

7.Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.

My wife and I watched that documentary back on February and on March 15th I started the 30 day challenge! Fresh vegetables and fruit, juiced every morning and I take it to work with me. I made it for a whole month and now I juice Monday through Friday! When I started I was 412lbs @6' 10" and so far I have lost 47lbs. I feel so much better and sleep better as well. Our bodies are amazing creations and respond accordinglyto what we put in them!

Healthy foods and exercise not only make you feel better, but they will also prevent a bunch of other medical problems as well in the long term.

My blood pressure is 122/82 now and it was 136/?(not sure). Besides my feet getting killed, my back was always giving me fits also. I haven't had any back issues at all for the last couple months. Just all the lard pulling and pushing; messing up my bones; awful.

Since the movie was about juicing I forgot to mention I also do the juicing thing one a day. Originally twice a day. Again, I cram a lot of vegetables in there that I didn't even know existed six months ago. (What the heck is Kale? lol)

Juicing is actually fun and I noticed my grocery bill is smaller. I could never slip out of Fred Meyer for under $100 ever before. I do the juicing thing late afternoon and make enough for three large drinks. Put them in the fridge in one of those shaker containers that bodybuilders use to mix up protein drinks.

I also bought a Vita-Mix last week but haven't tackled it yet.

To make the juiced vegetables palatable I add some fruit like apples and kiwi also, but not too much later in the day. If the juice is on the edge - aka something that would make a goat puke - I add liquid Stevia to the mix to neutralize it out a bit. Sometimes a little Jay Robb protein powder (doesn't have all the nasty stuff in it). The 'leftovers' that are refrigerated for a day are easier to drink (cold).

Raw stuff is always best, but if I crave cooked vegetables I steam them now vs microwave. Just as easy and because the fan over the stove it doesn't stink up the whole house either.

My weakness is craving carbs - breads, cereals, etc at NIGHT; as stated above after 6pm. I finally have beat my body into submission and instead steam up some brocolli, slice up some tomatoes, etc if I am really hungry. Also, Hoodia is good for curbing appetite and I take some every night around 6pm. Controlling eating at night was the big part for me.

I've got this far with ZERO support. My friends are all hard drinkers and pizza gobblers and when they come to my house and see a fridge full of tomatoes, celery, and apples they throw a fit. One won't come over without stopping at Fred Meyers for one of those giant greasy chickens and steak fries to eat over here LOL. Funny - but absolutely true - that kind of over the top food makes me gag now just looking at it. The rule is bring over anything you want for yourself but take it with you when you leave.

Re-read the thread - it is nice to know there are other people out there that said enough is enough and did something about their weight struggles.

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing it. I'm with Burt on the carb thing. Breads and steak are my weakness. I deprived my body of veggies for so long it hurt. I'm relatively a young feller at 35 years young and weighing in at 215 on a 6' frame, but that's about 25 pounds too heavy for me. I won't be doing the whole juice everyday all day thing but a nice quart jar of juice in the morning has already changed the way I feel and I have more energy throughout the day.

Bill,

Glad you have a handle on it now because it is your 40s that it just comes down like a hammer. I was in much better shape at 40 then I was at 20 or 30. At 35 I was exactly your size, muscular and fit.

Then my DNA started falling apart LOL! Had to finally compensate. I think of eating right as being like 'duct tape.' It repairs things and keep me together a while longer. Not afraid of death at all, but I don't want to go out a beached whale with a bunch of tubes stuck in me.

I just watched a movie called fat, sick and nearly dead. It was an interesting movie about how a couple guys cut processed foods and drank juice for 60 days straight. One guy started out at 309lbs and the other one started at 429. The guy weighing in at 429 lost over 200lbs in 10 months. Amazing what good healthy foods and exercise will do for you!

Title sounds like a bio pic of the U.S. Government!

Speaking of fat and government--I saw Clinton on a talk show and said he'd lost about 30 pounds. He said he's a vegan except for salmon a couple times a week. Granted, it took two major heart malfunctions for him to change his diet. The question this really raised in my mind was: "But is he still a chubby-chaser?"

dp

phil.jpg

219 this morning. Also added Noni Juice to my diet and it seems to be giving more energy throughout the day. I can actually see some definition now which is something I thought was long past.

Nothing but veggies or juicing after 6pm. Juiced drinks in shakers in the fridge so I only have to fire up the juicer every three days.

Burt, I know a lady that is part owner in Noni. At 85 years of age, you would never guess it. She is the picture of health.
I just found out that I have drawn a once in a lifetime Elk tag, at least to me, as I would be far to old to enjoy it by the time my number comes back around. I'm so glad I dropped 40 lbs. as I'm going to need it. Keep up the good work and know that it's for you! Only you can keep yourself honest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top