JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm a big guy; big belly and no a$$. I thought using my M&P 40 Shield, rather than my Glock 23 for CC would help gravitationally, but it hasn't. Adding any weight to my belt just accelerates my pants heading to the floor. Just curious to see what solutions other substantial guys have come up with.

Suspenders?

That was my answer to it. Until my wife put an end to that, says I'm too young for suspenders.

Best thing I could come up with was the maxpaditian fat boy satchel/bag.

Holds my CC, another Mag, a leatherman, my wallet, keys, flashlight, lighter, latex gloves, meds, charging cable for a phone and some other junk.

Leaves my pants free except for my folding knife which has been a huge help (gained 100 from meds and now I've dropped 60 of that so clothes fit funny and my backside won't keep the pants up). It did take a week or two to get used to carrying a bag with me but it's the PNW and as soon as I started carrying it I noticed there are a ton of guys carrying bags of some type or another so I don't get a second look.

Also, it was probably the best in the summer while I was in minimal clothing but still able to keep a full size pistol on me.

Edit: I have found adjustable belts (by just pulling on the end a bit to tighten it) to be much easier to manage then always trying to find the "perfect" hole in a weaved belt or holes in a traditional belt.

What's your body shape?

I'm a "substantial" fellow myself - 6'4" and I fluctuate between 290 - 300 lbs. 44 inch waist 34" inseam. Not a big butt, my thighs are thicker than usual.

I have always - even when I was a skinny teenager wearing a 32 waist - worn my belt across my navel. Been called a dork for it by a few people - but it's where it has always been most comfortable for me. If I wear the belt across my hips my pants both slid down, and it was uncomfortable.

lbLcrmS.jpg

Q2w8KjM.jpg

Here's a good representation of my carry gear. It's been updated a bit since then - the gun has changed a couple times. I now carry a CZ-75 P-01 - all metal 14+1 9mm. My pocket knife is also a bit bigger - the little gerber folder was replaced with a Kershaw Cryo assisted opener.

Uu0gHHt.jpg

Now - your body type may not be comfortable or compatable with IWB carry. You may need to look at an OWB option - either kydex or leather in a pancake type OWB holster may work well for you. Or a shoulder holster - despite their drawbacks - or you may wind up with one of these:

t8DkG8h.jpg

Tactical man purse / satchel / murse / manbag - whatever you wanna call it.

Off body carry is the least optimal - your gun and you can get separated way too easily. The draw is a lot slower. The upshot - satchel carry allows for full size combat style pistols as well as mouse guns. Get a big messenger bag and you can carry a 12" AR pistol if you want.

OWB belt holsters are more comfortable, generally, than IWB, and offer good speed of access and security. That's what I would try first. Make sure it's a good holster though - cheap OWB can be torture to carry because of improper belt loop positioning or sizing. Matching belt loop size to your belt width is key. 1.5" belt - 1.5" belt loops. Belt loops that are too big allow the gun to move around. Belt loops too high on the holster body and the gun will ride low and could be downright uncomfortable when seated, may poke down below your cover garment, or may depending on body shape poke you in the thigh/butt. Belt loops too low on the holster body will let the gun flop away from your body, have the gun butt poke you in the ribs/side, and cause excessive bulge under your cover garment. It's like Goldilochs - gotta find one "just right".

Another option - if you're sticking with the shield - is pocket carry but this requires a good pocket holster AND the right pants. Especially for fat guys. I've got some pants that are comfortable to wear, but good god the pockets are too small and tight. Big pockets with enough material on the front to allow you to get your hand in are a must. A good pocket holster that covers the trigger guard and is not so soft to allow it to crush in is a must. Galco and Desantis make good pocket holsters that are reasonably priced.

I'm kind of lucky that my line of work lets me choose whatever pants I want. I used to wear Dickies and Carhartts mostly. They were comfortable but I hate having my wallet in a butt pocket. I'm seated most of the day driving - and that was starting to give me nerve problems. I switched to cargo pants - specifically the 5.11 Tac Lite Pros - and it was like a gift from heaven. They are the most comfortable pants I've ever worn - and best yet besides the thigh pockets they include to "extra" pockets - an open top pocket on top of my right thigh perfectly sized for a smart phone to slip in and out of, and on the top of my left thigh is a flapped pocket for a spare magazine, so for comfort's sake I moved my spare mag out of it's IWB carrier and into the mag pocket on my thigh. Wallet goes in left cargo pocket. Right cargo pocket is either empty or has my write in the rain notepad and a pen, depending on which uniform shirt I'm wearing. I don't keep anything in my back pockets while seated. I stash gloves or my dispatch tablet in them while I'm out of the truck. They do have very big, wide back pockets though. Also good for warming the hands in cold weather. :D Doubly so after some good mexican food...

What's your body shape?

I'm a "substantial" fellow myself - 6'4" and I fluctuate between 290 - 300 lbs. 44 inch waist 34" inseam. Not a big butt, my thighs are thicker than usual.

I have always - even when I was a skinny teenager wearing a 32 waist - worn my belt across my navel. Been called a dork for it by a few people - but it's where it has always been most comfortable for me. If I wear the belt across my hips my pants both slid down, and it was uncomfortable.

View attachment 263919

View attachment 263920

Here's a good representation of my carry gear. It's been updated a bit since then - the gun has changed a couple times. I now carry a CZ-75 P-01 - all metal 14+1 9mm. My pocket knife is also a bit bigger - the little gerber folder was replaced with a Kershaw Cryo assisted opener.

View attachment 263922

Now - your body type may not be comfortable or compatable with IWB carry. You may need to look at an OWB option - either kydex or leather in a pancake type OWB holster may work well for you. Or a shoulder holster - despite their drawbacks - or you may wind up with one of these:

View attachment 263921

Tactical man purse / satchel / murse / manbag - whatever you wanna call it.

Off body carry is the least optimal - your gun and you can get separated way too easily. The draw is a lot slower. The upshot - satchel carry allows for full size combat style pistols as well as mouse guns. Get a big messenger bag and you can carry a 12" AR pistol if you want.

OWB belt holsters are more comfortable, generally, than IWB, and offer good speed of access and security. That's what I would try first. Make sure it's a good holster though - cheap OWB can be torture to carry because of improper belt loop positioning or sizing. Matching belt loop size to your belt width is key. 1.5" belt - 1.5" belt loops. Belt loops that are too big allow the gun to move around. Belt loops too high on the holster body and the gun will ride low and could be downright uncomfortable when seated, may poke down below your cover garment, or may depending on body shape poke you in the thigh/butt. Belt loops too low on the holster body will let the gun flop away from your body, have the gun butt poke you in the ribs/side, and cause excessive bulge under your cover garment. It's like Goldilochs - gotta find one "just right".

Another option - if you're sticking with the shield - is pocket carry but this requires a good pocket holster AND the right pants. Especially for fat guys. I've got some pants that are comfortable to wear, but good god the pockets are too small and tight. Big pockets with enough material on the front to allow you to get your hand in are a must. A good pocket holster that covers the trigger guard and is not so soft to allow it to crush in is a must. Galco and Desantis make good pocket holsters that are reasonably priced.

I'm kind of lucky that my line of work lets me choose whatever pants I want. I used to wear Dickies and Carhartts mostly. They were comfortable but I hate having my wallet in a butt pocket. I'm seated most of the day driving - and that was starting to give me nerve problems. I switched to cargo pants - specifically the 5.11 Tac Lite Pros - and it was like a gift from heaven. They are the most comfortable pants I've ever worn - and best yet besides the thigh pockets they include to "extra" pockets - an open top pocket on top of my right thigh perfectly sized for a smart phone to slip in and out of, and on the top of my left thigh is a flapped pocket for a spare magazine, so for comfort's sake I moved my spare mag out of it's IWB carrier and into the mag pocket on my thigh. Wallet goes in left cargo pocket. Right cargo pocket is either empty or has my write in the rain notepad and a pen, depending on which uniform shirt I'm wearing. I don't keep anything in my back pockets while seated. I stash gloves or my dispatch tablet in them while I'm out of the truck. They do have very big, wide back pockets though. Also good for warming the hands in cold weather. :D Doubly so after some good mexican food...

You still play with Lincoln Logs!! Right on:p

As far as your pants sagging, do you have a good quality belt made for CC? You can have the best holster in the world but it will be worthless if you go with a cheap belt. I've been very happy with belts by Galco and thebeltman. I choose to use a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster system for EDC. I'm 6'2 330lbs, dang college football body never went away haha

I have been using Wilderness' Frequent Flyer belts for about 10 years. I still have my original, it held up great but about 4 years ago I switched up from my original 1 1/4" wide belt to a 1 1/2" belt - both "5 stitch" versions and the wide belt has a composite stiffener sewn in.

A good belt is a godsend but if you are egg or pear shaped - that may not matter as much as suspenders or a non-belt carry method.

I am 6'5" and hover usually between 350 and 375 pounds. I am not a small man. I have a belly, but no butt.

Two things. One, I can carry from about 4 o'clock to about 8 o'clock comfortably. Any further forward and its not comfortable. Two, I am particular about my gear. From the gun to the belt to the holster, as a fat guy, I cannot buy cheap crap. I have a thick leather belt made by Ed Stebbins at tracker leather in Bend/Sisters. It uses stirrup leather. Nice and thick. And I still wear it tighter than is comfortable sometimes. I have to adjust/loosen it if I will be driving for a long time. If I buy a cheap belt, it curls over and becomes useless in a month. I have a nice holster. It is also made by tracker leather but is similar in style to a Milt Sparks VersaMax. It has a thin profile and spreads the weight of the gun out. But a good belt and holster will not overcome too heavy a gun. I had to give up carrying my 1911 too often as it was just too heavy. Likewise, some cheaper guns are just too heavy. But my M&P9 full size is just fine and before that, any number of full size or compact Glock worked just fine.

I also carry a small pocket gun sometimes, especially in the summer. If I don't want a big heavy belt or gun on, its nice just to slip a mouse gun into my pocket. During the winter, the same mouse gun goes into an ankle holster. It is the only gun I wear when I am dressed nice or go somewhere that I cannot afford to have my gun print (i.e. no gun businesses).

Hope that helps. Good luck. Seems with a good leather belt and holster, you should be able to pack the shield no problem...

Likewise, some cheaper guns are just too heavy.
You really carried a Hipoint?
the same mouse gun goes into an ankle holster.
Damn I can see why you chose "Mountain Bear" as your user name.
And we gotta have film of you pulling that mouse gun in a hurry.I know there is no way I'm getting a gun out of a ankle holster fast,lol
I'm thinking of having the local leather guy make a shoulder holster that woks good as suspenders too. Kinda modify a tanker holster or the Diamond D holsters to work as those side hook suspenders

I don't plan on needing the ankle gun quickly. It is either a back-up or generally in a pocket holster. If it's in my ankle, I attempt to have enough situational awareness not to need it quickly, or at least that's the hope. The quickest way is simply to drop to your off knee, pull up the pant leg, and draw. It isn't quick, but like anything, it's an acquired skill.

I have tried shoulder rigs. After a while, they get to be a bit of a burden. I was using an original jackass rig that was given to me by a friend. I found I constantly adjusted it, and unless I had a heavy cover garment, it printed quite often.

So I'm a big guy; big belly and no a$$. I thought using my M&P 40 Shield, rather than my Glock 23 for CC would help gravitationally, but it hasn't. Adding any weight to my belt just accelerates my pants heading to the floor. Just curious to see what solutions other substantial guys have come up with.

I'm taking this response as if the belt and pants are off limits as carry options...

So that leaves us with very few options to start...you've now got:

Shoulder/Chest Carry
Ankle Holsters
Off-The Body Carry

If you're not a fan of shoulder holsters, you can try a chest rig/bandoleer...
images (1).jpg holster002.jpg images.jpg

The obvious drawback here is concealment and muzzle safety (pointing the firearm at yourself when drawing/holstering). You would need to wear a coat with it closed on a chest rig, whereas a shoulder harness you can have a coat (or button shirt) on and open to still conceal.

Then there are ankle holsters...which I just don't recommend at all. You have to have the right gun, holster and clothing combo to make this work. You can't draw while moving (you basically have to arch your foot up or kneel down to draw) and the firearm prints and rubs on pants while walking or sitting.

Then there are off the body carry options, which I still don't recommend. When grabbing for the firearm -since it isn't in a holster- you have to potential of accidentally grabbing the trigger when trying to grab the grip. Therefore you have to have it still in a holster or get a trigger guard on it with a tether attached to the item you are placing the gun in.
132118_ts.jpg maxpedition fatboy versapack 0403 2.jpg zacchaeus-trigger-holster-300x156.png

Lastly, there are other, less desirable, options available.

Thunderwear
twaw-pistol-pouch-3.jpg

Holster shirts
undertech-undercover-compression-b.jpg

Hopefully this helps and you find the right combination that works!

images (1).jpg

holster002.jpg

images.jpg

132118_ts.jpg

zacchaeus-trigger-holster-300x156.png

twaw-pistol-pouch-3.jpg

maxpedition fatboy versapack 0403 2.jpg

undertech-undercover-compression-b.jpg

I don't plan on needing the ankle gun quickly. It is either a back-up or generally in a pocket holster. If it's in my ankle, I attempt to have enough situational awareness not to need it quickly, or at least that's the hope. The quickest way is simply to drop to your off knee, pull up the pant leg, and draw. It isn't quick, but like anything, it's an acquired skill.

I have tried shoulder rigs. After a while, they get to be a bit of a burden. I was using an original jackass rig that was given to me by a friend. I found I constantly adjusted it, and unless I had a heavy cover garment, it printed quite often.
Did you try a shoulder holster with tie-down straps on both sides? Almost like suspenders.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top