JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What makes it even more tempting is the T3x now offered in 6.5 Creedmoor has a 24" brl vs. 22" on most others. I like a 24" brl for the weight/stability. I find a couple of ounces out there helps tone down the jumpiness and probably doesn't hurt to reduce noise a little, either; you may get a little more velocity as well. Add in the 1:8 twist and the gobs of room in the action for whatever bullet you want and that's a heckuva hunting rig right there!

One of my good friends swears by his SAKO, even though he can't say it right! I've handled it and it would be a nice one to try out. I hear there's a lot of that in the Tikkas.

Mine sure does love the 180s! Seems happiest between 165 and 200 actually, the bigger seem to hold groups well enough, but the barrel heats up with a 5 shot string. The real sweet spot seems to be the 168 and 180s though, especially my standard goto Swift Sciroccos, but it also really likes the Barns TTX and TXTs and the Nos. Partitions! I honestly havnt even tried any thing lighter then a 150 through it, didn't really se the point, so I cannot tell you how the lighter stuff runs, but I would guess it should do well, knowing how the rest of the Tikka's run!

With a few exceptions when loading up some practice ammo or factory ammo "unloading" for brass, I've always shot 180gr bullets, well, because that's where I started!
I used to load different bullets for deer and elk. I worked up a couple of loads that worked pretty well and then got busy with some other part of life. Then I got a different rifle, and another... and life got in the way.
Basically I devote some time, and I will be pretty intense about it, to get things working well. Then I have some other "sickness" that needs time n money so the development stops. I tell myself that I'll do something more, but when it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That said, I really would like to play with some of those sleek 190gr match bullets, but that's where the twist comes in, right?

I notice Browning is expanding its use of faster twist barrels in the X-Bolt LR models. In addition to the Pro, noted above, both of the Hells Canyon LR models will start to get faster twist with the 2018 production. Barrels will be stamped with the twist rate, to distinguish them from prior production.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top