JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yes KMNO4 is very useful but you have to know its limitations. For example, if your mixture is below 50F it will not light off AT ALL. This applies to water+sugar+KMNO4, KMNO4+Glycerin, KMNO4+ethylene Glycol (antifreeze). Whatever your going to use as a reactant make sure to keep it warm.

Its a good Idea when starting a fire with it to not cook anything on the fire (just use it to light tinder/wood then move the fire) or breathe in the gasses from the reaction.

Anyone ever watch that survival show "Dude you're screwed"? in one episode a guy used the "flower life extender" powder that comes with a bouquet of flowers and a few drops of automotive anti-freeze to start a fire the same way. I don't recall what the flower food ingredient was that reacted with the antifreeze but it worked.

Im not to worried about it being below 50. you put it under your arms or between your legs you should be able to warm it to over that. will test this winter

So, how well does that work with damp earth or whatnot? Will moisture ruin the powder?

I think I'll stay with a magnesium stick and piece of flint for now.

I did see a friend light a fire the other week with a gel that was marketed as a charcoal lighter.

The stuff was basically napalm in a bottle. I am going to pick up a bottle, as it was very stable stuff and will light even after squirting it onto green wood.

Yeah, the below 50F isn't really that big of a deal as long as you know about it. I also like the crystal form better than the powder, I think it is a little easier to use.

dampness has no effect on it, you can even light it off with sugar and water.

Some years ago I bought a few gross of the trioxane fuel tabs that cheaper than dirt (back when they were cheap) was blowing out for like $20. I usually keep some of those in my pack. They light easily with a spark from a mag fire starter, and burn long/hot enough to even start wet wood.

Some years ago I bought a few gross of the trioxane fuel tabs that cheaper than dirt (back when they were cheap) was blowing out for like $20. I usually keep some of those in my pack. They light easily with a spark from a mag fire starter, and burn long/hot enough to even start wet wood.

Yep naphthalene cubes work pretty awesome, I have only been able to find the cubes lately, I used to have a tube of it that was wrapped in oiled paper/foil and you carved a bit off for each fire.

image.jpg

There are tons of hypergolic reactions between oxidizers and organic compounds... calcium hypochlorite and butyl alcohol (brake fluid) is another well known one.

Is calcium hypochlorite the same as crystal chlorine for your pool? If it is, I have heard of this trick 25 years ago. You can even make a device with a timer using styrofoam cups, the more you stack, the longer your fuse. The brake fluid eats through the cups and then comes in contact with the chlorine and starts a chemical fire.

Is calcium hypochlorite the same as crystal chlorine for your pool? If it is, I have heard of this trick 25 years ago. You can even make a device with a timer using styrofoam cups, the more you stack, the longer your fuse. The brake fluid eats through the cups and then comes in contact with the chlorine and starts a chemical fire.

Same stuff, I'm sure that makes one hell of a mess.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top