JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am heading down to my property later this week to plan some fencing for my 2 acre lot. It's roughly 200' wide by 500' deep. Currently the only fencing is 4 strand barbed wire at back of property separating my lot from the national forest. Cows that roam the forest easily jump this fence every year.

I am planning on installing woven wire on all four sides. I have access to ponderosa pine, incense cedar and some western juniper logs. Any tips/tricks for keeping cost down on this project would be great. All holes and post installs will be done manually by me.

Shop around for "used" fencing and supplies, lots of stuff gets removed all the time, and you can usually find what you need at less then half the price of new!
I was quoted $3500 for a 90 foot long 4 foot high cyclone fence materials and labor, shopped the local adds for used and found enough "Surplus" to do the job twice at less then a grand ( not including labor) which I did my self!

Do you oppose using electric fence? Worked well on my donkeys.
I once saw a donkey knock another donkey into an electric fence to see if it was on. It wasn't, and he promptly stuck his head under the wire, pushed it up and walked out. I've never seen a cow do this, so I have to wonder: Do cows also use the phrase "Don't be an A55"? :D

I once saw a donkey knock another donkey into an electric fence to see if it was on. It wasn't, and he promptly stuck his head under the wire, pushed it up and walked out. I've never seen a cow do this, so I have to wonder: Do cows also use the phrase "Don't be an A55"? :D

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to fence in your property?
The property next door is going on the market and I want the property boundary understood. We have a rat terrier which we would like to keep from running off, and one day I might be able to keep the cows out. I picked up 25 t-post today so I can at least get the property line marked off on the east side of my place.

I will string a single strand of barbless wire between t-post set 20ft a part (i will mark strand of wire with hi vis ribbon. We did have some jokers running through our property on atvs in the past. I can fill in the tpost every 10ft as time and money allows. Eventually I will use woven fence when all the tpost and corners are installed.

OK if you're going to phase it in, do the corners first. Just run a yellow rope and hang the no trespassing signs as appropriate for now.

Jeez I never had the opportunity to slow roll a fence. I would usually just install it, wait for the cows to knock it down, then come back and do it more right the next time.

I can tell you the best fence I ever had used railroad ties on the corners, gates, and every third post along the fenceline. Corners were sunk with concrete, all fencing holes were 36" deep. Two regular metal fenceposts were sunk (just pounded in) between the railroad ties. Stock fencing on the lower part, three strands of barbed wire on the top. Definitely not horse fencing, nor was it cheap (this was back in the 70's)

That fence is still going strong to this day.

Regarding the single strand...I've also been clotheslined by random fencing in the desert, like 2nd gear speed and then a line across the upper shoulders/neck. Very close call. Even with hi vis ribbon, I would try not to do it. If I absolutely had to do it, I would keep it at around 3'

OK if you're going to phase it in, do the corners first. Just run a yellow rope and hang the no trespassing signs as appropriate for now.

Jeez I never had the opportunity to slow roll a fence. I would usually just install it, wait for the cows to knock it down, then come back and do it more right the next time.

I can tell you the best fence I ever had used railroad ties on the corners, gates, and every third post along the fenceline. Corners were sunk with concrete, all fencing holes were 36" deep. Two regular metal fenceposts were sunk (just pounded in) between the railroad ties. Stock fencing on the lower part, three strands of barbed wire on the top. Definitely not horse fencing, nor was it cheap (this was back in the 70's)

That fence is still going strong to this day.

Regarding the single strand...I've also been clotheslined by random fencing in the desert, like 2nd gear speed and then a line across the upper shoulders/neck. Very close call. Even with hi vis ribbon, I would try not to do it. If I absolutely had to do it, I would keep it at around 3'
"Regarding the single strand...I've also been clotheslined by random fencing in the desert, like 2nd gear speed and then a line across the upper shoulders/neck. Very close call. Even with hi vis ribbon, I would try not to do it. If I absolutely had to do it, I would keep it at around 3'"

I bought a 1000ft roll of white mason string today to run from front to back of property line so I can set tposts straight. Maybe I will just leave that string up instead of running the barbless wire.

Railroad ties sound like a good option for corner post, I will consider that option.

Each corner is 5 ties, each gate will have three ties per side. It's simple but elaborate in the use of materials and the cost for ties is outrageous unless you can score some.

Wood, even treated wood, will decompose when buried in the ground. If you use wood you have soak it in creosote. Check out these, cheaper than rr ties ttps://www.prairiestatesseed.com/creosote-fence-posts/

This will be fun, send us pictures!

The property next door is going on the market and I want the property boundary understood. We have a rat terrier which we would like to keep from running off, and one day I might be able to keep the cows out. I picked up 25 t-post today so I can at least get the property line marked off on the east side of my place.

I will string a single strand of barbless wire between t-post set 20ft a part (i will mark strand of wire with hi vis ribbon. We did have some jokers running through our property on atvs in the past. I can fill in the tpost every 10ft as time and money allows. Eventually I will use woven fence when all the tpost and corners are installed.

Neighbors have an "invisible" fence for their two labs. It has seemed to work pretty well. The come to a halt need where the sensor wire is buried and stay on their property (the female is smarter than the male and sometimes sneaks across, but usually stays on the property and goes home when we scold her for straying).

Sounds like your main purpose is to mark the boundary of your property to avoid disputes with the new neighbor? If that's the case, the best way would be to first find the property marker if you can. The county should have some kind of marker and that will be the official boundary marker if there are any disputes.

Once you have found the marker, if you just put in the posts, even without wires or boards, it should be a pretty clear indication of property boundary. It won't stop the cows but your new neighbor will clear see the posts and know what they indicate. Heck, you might even get luck with a really nice neighbor who will offer to share the cost of finishing the fence because they don't want some tiny little doggie coming over and stinking up their land. :D

Sounds like your main purpose is to mark the boundary of your property to avoid disputes with the new neighbor? If that's the case, the best way would be to first find the property marker if you can. The county should have some kind of marker and that will be the official boundary marker if there are any disputes.

Once you have found the marker, if you just put in the posts, even without wires or boards, it should be a pretty clear indication of property boundary. It won't stop the cows but your new neighbor will clear see the posts and know what they indicate. Heck, you might even get luck with a really nice neighbor who will offer to share the cost of finishing the fence because they don't want some tiny little doggie coming over and stinking up their land. :D
I got back from the cabin (a day early) today after having a fight with my t-post driver (t-post driver won). I managed to install four 6"x6"x7ft pressure treated posts at each corner, four 6" to 7" round pressure treated post about 8ft from the 6x6 post. Each hole was dug with hand auger and a lot of rock removal and root removal with 16lb digging bar. I pounded in 25 t-post on West Side and 20 t-post on East side. These t-post were installed about every 20ft. As you suggested this will serve as a property line marker for now. Before I install the woven fencing I will fill in the t-post every 10ft. It has already made my property feel smaller but it's good to know where I should be doing stuff. I discovered that an ash pile that I and old property owners have been adding to is half on my property and half on the property to the West (whoops). Some or all of it is going to have to be moved to install the woven fence.

Last Edited:
Range card:
1619563057942.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads