JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the link.
I use a 30 Cal ammo can. It works to isolate my Samsung 5G nicely.
I've had to put my cell phone in a metal box many times before entering certain facilities.
It's my understanding that you also need to isolate anything inside the faraday cage from the metal insides of the cage.
If you're just tossing your phone, radios, etc. into an ammo can, then an EMP could "jump" from the metal can to your devices and fry 'em.

For my larger gear, I use a medium-sized galvanized steel trash can, lined with two layers of corrugated cardboard all around the inside, on the bottom, and under the lid of the can. Then, everything inside the can is also encased within individual faraday bags. I use the Faraday Defense brand of ziploc baggies. These ones...

Faraday bag.jpg

I have also found that if I put my phone in just one of these bags and test it, there is still an intermittent, in-and-out reception. Like if your call was constantly being dropped and comes back - really choppy. If I put a second one of these same bags around it, it's totally ghosted. No reception whatsoever.

Last Edited:
It's my understanding that you also need to isolate anything inside the faraday cage from the metal insides of the cage.
If you're just tossing your phone, radios, etc. into an ammo can, then an EMP could "jump" from the metal can to your devices and fry 'em.
An EMP would be welcome. The schnitt that I care about will not be affected by one.
I have white LDPE packing foam lining the ammo can because I don't want it to bang around inside if the can takes a tumble.
Didn't know about the effect, though.
Mebbee this would work for some?
mobile%2Bphone%2Btricks%2Bwhen%2Btraveling%2B(9).jpg

Excuse this honest question, but why are we wrapping our phones in foil now?
I must have missed this one.
Because some people believe that their phones are listening in on everything they say, and/or tracking everywhere they go.

I was more interested in the results for EMP/CME scenarios. I am pretty sure I am already on some list somewhere as a "person of interest", and I live alone so 99% of the time the only thing my phone will hear is me cussing because I dropped something or stubbed my toe on something. As for where I go - it is Costco, Winco, the chiro and the mailbox.

Because some people believe that their phones are listening in on everything they say, and/or tracking everywhere they go.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching me. ;)

Seriously, though... I was in the wireless industry for nearly 20 years. You would probably be surprised at the depth of social programming and social engineering involved in all aspects of that industry.

I was more interested in the results for EMP/CME scenarios. I am pretty sure I am already on some list somewhere as a "person of interest", and I live alone so 99% of the time the only thing my phone will hear is me cussing because I dropped something or stubbed my toe on something. As for where I go - it is Costco, Winco, the chiro and the mailbox.
Gotcha, thought it was something like that.
I'd be more interested in protecting my handheld gps and perhaps the gps unit in my truck.
But maybe that's unnecessary now that Russia is going to blow up our gps satellites.
I got a compass around here somewhere.......

Gotcha, thought it was something like that.
I'd be more interested in protecting my handheld gps and perhaps the gps unit in my truck.
But maybe that's unnecessary now that Russia is going to blow up our gps satellites.
I got a compass around here somewhere.......
The things I want to protect from EMP/CME are my phone, computers, TX/RX and a few other things. GPS is ok, but since I don't plan on traveling and spend 99% of my time at home, probably not necessary.

I have multiple EMP strategies for that potential air burst over Kansas from an adversary planning to turn out the lights in the entire country. Stockpiles of foil wrapped radios, multimeters, soldering pens that run off batteries, Laptop computer, extra harddrives, DVD's of prepper stuff, solar chargers, battery chargers, extra this and extra that etc etc. All wrapped in alternating foil and heavy anti-static bags that I got for free from Seimans, then packed into tins and cardboard lined garbage cans and sealed metal cabinets for when the SHTF. For those of us who spent a lot of effort prepping for an EMP burst I only have 2 things to say:

Corona. Virus. :eek:. Only X10 next time. http://www.empcommission.org/reports.php

For those who need it to keep bad guys away, well, that is making more sense to me than the EMP threat I once feared so much. Will not be breaking out the extra electronics from their EMP tomb (other than periodic recharging them) however. Just in case. It was a very low probability event then, likely lower now. There is no defense against a well planned viral load introduced later by a bad actor other than stay as healthy as one can and hope that a defense can be initiated (like a vaccine) before it takes you out. [/shrugs]

I I only have 2 things to say:

Corona. Virus. :eek:. Only X10 next time. http://www.empcommission.org/reports.php

For those who need it to keep bad guys away, well, that is making more sense to me than the EMP threat I once feared so much. Will not be breaking out the extra electronics from their EMP tomb (other than periodic recharging them) however. Just in case. It was a very low probability event then, likely lower now. There is no defense against a well planned viral load introduced later by a bad actor other than stay as healthy as one can and hope that a defense can be initiated (like a vaccine) before it takes you out. [/shrugs]
Pandemic + EMP/CME == ???

I handle pandemics by vaccines + isolation (spend 99% of my time home on the mountain) + sanitation/etc.

YMMV

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads