JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody sell a high grade wood stock for a 10/22? Part of me would love to give my Volquartsen / Ruger the fancy treatment. I would love a 4a flame maple stock. If nobody makes one I may have to make one after I set up a wood shop post move. Trust me, it is on the wife's priority list for both of our sanity.

But as a former Luthier, I have a soft spot for beautiful wood grain, especially flame maple that has been dyed. I would really like to bring that high end electric guitar aesthetic to a 10/22. I would rather just buy though as I would need to refine my 10/22 knowledge to build a stock.

@Wombat of Doom it has been many years since I was plugged into the rimfirecentral forum but there was at least one maker that was on that site and doing high grade wood stocks of different patterns. He used all sorts of hardwoods and did good work. I would ask your question though over on Rimfirecentral as I think you will get a better response.

I am not aware of any commercial operations that are making what you seek. This may be a good place to start, I skimmed and saw the name Tuck who I believe is the user I was thinking of who does custom 10/22 stocks: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/thre...ely-figured-walnut-custom-10-22-stock.425937/

@Wombat of Doom it has been many years since I was plugged into the rimfirecentral forum but there was at least one maker that was on that site and doing high grade wood stocks of different patterns. He used all sorts of hardwoods and did good work. I would ask your question though over on Rimfirecentral as I think you will get a better response.

I am not aware of any commercial operations that are making what you seek. This may be a good place to start, I skimmed and saw the name Tuck who I believe is the user I was thinking of who does custom 10/22 stocks: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/thre...ely-figured-walnut-custom-10-22-stock.425937/
That is exactly what I needed to start researching this. Thank you.

Does anybody sell a high grade wood stock for a 10/22? Part of me would love to give my Volquartsen / Ruger the fancy treatment. I would love a 4a flame maple stock. If nobody makes one I may have to make one after I set up a wood shop post move. Trust me, it is on the wife's priority list for both of our sanity.

But as a former Luthier, I have a soft spot for beautiful wood grain, especially flame maple that has been dyed. I would really like to bring that high end electric guitar aesthetic to a 10/22. I would rather just buy though as I would need to refine my 10/22 knowledge to build a stock.
Undoubtedly you could find exactly the type of wood that you want and have a stock built by a top quality craftsman. The question is; are you actually willing to write that large of a check?
I think you would have a difficult task if you ever wanted to resell that 10/22 stock for what it cost you to have it built, but perhaps you want it for a family heirloom and that is not a concern.
If you have woodworking skill, seems like a project you may want build yourself...
I also enjoy that type of D.I.Y. project, but it can be difficult to find the time.

Undoubtedly you could find exactly the type of wood that you want and have a stock built by a top quality craftsman. The question is; are you actually willing to write that large of a check?
I think you would have a difficult task if you ever wanted to resell that 10/22 stock for what it cost you to have it built, but perhaps you want it for a family heirloom and that is not a concern.
If you have woodworking skill, seems like a project you may want build yourself...
I also enjoy that type of D.I.Y. project, but it can be difficult to find the time.
Pending the size, probably. And make no mistake, I anticipate it being expensive. I could supply a very special board to make it out of if need be. The highest grade flame maple Billet I have ever seen And this 10/22 is my first gun,, although highly modified. I have owned it 30 years. So I don't think I will be selling.

And while it could be a family heirloom, it is something I want to use. And I may need to make it myself

I went with boyds. I have volquartsen. 17hmr I got to fit into one. I am also building a 10/22 different color same stock. They are really nice and they are adjustable.
20230525_164850.jpg 20230526_204736.jpg 20230526_204632.jpg 20230526_154149.jpg

P.M Inbound!

I think that you are referring to Leroy and Connie Berry, who run Canyon Creek and Montana.

I think that you are referring to Leroy and Connie Berry, who run Canyon Creek and Montana.
It is definitely Tuck on rimfirecentral who I was thinking of. I am very familiar with Leroy and Connie and their work under the Canyon Creek name. I have lusted after one of their custom stocked Anschutz's for sometime with Connie's amazing hand checkering and Leroy's magic when it comes to stock design.

Thread with at least one photo of Tuck's stock work: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/extraordinary-10-22-stock-pics.410816/

Check out RimfireCentral.
Methinks you will find useful info there.
👍👍
Best,
Gary

Sure......AFTERMARKET and the "DEALER's SPECIALS" and all that.

Then......Hummmm......
I thought that finding a walnut stock on an old 10/22 (w/steel butt plate).....was a big deal.

Aloha, Mark

If your not familiar with Richards Microfit Stocks, http://rifle-stocks.com/hardwood_grades.htm you might take a look there. (YES! I know, give me a second I'll get to that! :rolleyes: ) They have a great selection of styles and wood grades and their prices on the higher quality wood are tough to beat.

That being said . . . . I have heard them called Richards It-Might-Fit Stocks, as well as Richards BeaverFit Stocks, and not without reason. Apparently they change the cutters on their duplicating machine everytime there is a Presidential election, or whenever the cutter blades have worn down to the spindle, whichever comes last.

But if your pretty handy with wood working and don't mind the rolling the dice on how well your stock will come prepped from them, they can be a great resource

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top