JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was a kid in the 1950's, some of our treasured family possessions were army blankets that had found their way back to our home after the war. These wool blankets were typical OD US Army types, plus one Australian Army blanket my dad got overseas. Those things wore like iron. They saw daily use on children's beds for many years. The older, more worn examples were substituted for car seat covers in vehicles with ratty upholstery. Later, they got down-graded to emergency blankets in the trunk of a car. Finally, most of them wound up in the family linen closet. Dry cleaned and carefully folded.

Down to the present. I still have all of these blankets. Plus a WW2 USMC blanket that I found in my father-in-law's home when he died. Then there are the OD wool blankets that followed me home during my time in the army. Plus several poncho liners that I got in Vietnam. Plus a couple of old army blankets that were found in various used cars over the years. Then there are a couple of East German Army blankets that I bought because they were very cheap.
So I'm pretty well stocked with wool blankets. Most of the wrong size, because they are made for single person beds.

There was a time when as children, we'd camp out in the back yard in summer. We'd erect tents made of blankets. For tent pegs, we'd use short lengths of scrap wood, and drive those straight through the corner of the blanket and into the ground. Which doesn't do the blanket any good. None of the ex-army blankets show this injury.

One of the blankets, an OD ex-army blanket dated 1940, has my sister's name over-written on the label. She took that to Camp Fire Girls summer camp.

I don't have any idea what a good wool blanket cost in the 1950's. Whatever the cost was, having these blankets saved us from having to pay it.

Don't think of it as theft, think of it as mustering out bonus. Or an earlier version of stimulus in kind.

I'm 2nd Gen Submariner, I have a 60's Era US Navy blanket that I inherited from my Dad as well as mine from when I was in. Over the years, we have also collected a few more military wool blankets.

These things are built to last.

Last Edited:
I have some wool army blankets...one of which is mine from the Army.
I also have some wool "trade blankets" of various vintages...I would love to have one from the 19th century...someday.

All get used either as camp blankets or for historical display with my antique firearms.
Andy

no army blankets here, just Pendelton's. lots of those.. Great grand dad knew the family I guess back in the day.
guess they made him a special one when he retired. think its in the Oregon state athletic hall of fame now

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top