JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Visiting the folks down in Nevada, and my dad gave me a couple of firearms that have been in the family for quite awhile. Unfortunately, I'm on my parents computer and don't have pictures...YET...but they are coming.

1. Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver: Later model, manufactured sometime in the 1870s. All serial numbers are matching and all markings are original and legitimate. The gun is in rough shape and needs some restoration work done to it...not sure if I will, it all depends on the current value of the gun and the cost of restoration. At a minimum, I think it would be cool to get it into proper working order.

Markings
Top Barrel Flat: ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA
Left Front Side of Frame: Colts Patent
Left Side Trigger Guard: .36 Cal
Cylinder: Colts Patent No XXXX (last 4 of serial number)
Barrel, Frame, and Trigger Guard: Serial Number
Butt Strap Stamping: Serial Number

There are more markings that aren't visible without some field stripping, but I'll wait on those.

2. J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company Single Shot .22 Long Rifle: Also known as the "Old Stevens Favorite", but still researching. I did find out my grandfather traded a set of spurs for this when he was 12, in 1938. It does need a new extractor, every now and then my grandfather and dad had to use a pocket knife to pull the spent casing out. Best guess for manufacturing date, based on barrel markings is 1894-1920.

Markings
Top Right Barrel: J. Stevens A & T Co., Chicopee Falls Mass USA PAT. APR 17 94
Top Left Barrel: 22 Long Rifle
Bottom Stock Support: Serial Number

3. J. Stevens Arms Company Single Shot Break-Open 410 Shotgun: Best guess for manufacturing date, based on receiver markings is 1920-1940s. Still researching.

Markings
Top Left Barrel: Selected Forged Steel
Left Side Receiver: Stevens, The Fully Guaranteed Single Gun
Right Side Receiver: Circled 21, J. Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls Mass USA, Made in USA

It'll be fun to restore both the .22 and the 410, as the research that I have done shows they are of little monetary value. But I think my dad would love to see these restored since he learned to shoot with both of them. The 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver is a different story. I've got to find the value of this gun before I do anything, but both my dad and I would love to get this one into working order though.

That's really cool. I like that your grandfather traded a set of spurs for one of them.

I have my grandfather's gun & hope to pass it down to my son someday. Family firearms are cherished items.

Please don't touch the Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver before you have it appraised. It could be worth a LOT of money, but even cleaning it may destroy some of the value.

Note the price here.

As for the Stevens Favorite, my dad had one in about 1910 and it was truly his favorite rifle. He fired at least 500 rounds a week through it. He always wished he'd kept it.

I have no plans to do anything with the Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver until I have it appraised and I discuss my options with an expect. The gun is in very, very rough shape...it was definitely a working gun, it even has 14 hash marks across the top of the barrel that means the number of kills...at least that's what the "Family Lore" says...sounds cool even it's false.

As for both of the J.Stevens guns, those I will restore for my dad...it's his request, and I want them to stay in the family for a long, long time.

I have no plans to do anything with the Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver until I have it appraised and I discuss my options with an expect. The gun is in very, very rough shape...it was definitely a working gun, it even has 14 hash marks across the top of the barrel that means the number of kills...at least that's what the "Family Lore" says...sounds cool even it's false.

As for both of the J.Stevens guns, those I will restore for my dad...it's his request, and I want them to stay in the family for a long, long time.

I understand wanting to restore the J. Stevens guns. I had this one restored in memory of my grandfather:

RRBRestore-RtFullUpsm.jpg

That's a nice looking rifle...good job on the restoration. Did you do it yourself, or have it done?

I had Jim Dubell at <broken link removed> in Colville, WA do the metal work. He did the exterior cleanup, case coloring, bluing, barrel liner and rechamber for .357 Mag. I did some of the wood work and he did the oil finish. I can't say enough good stuff about Jim and his work. He's a master gun maker, specializing in custom rifles and metal work. He does a lot of restoration work on old firearms. It ended up costing me about what Pedersoli wants for one of their butt ugly reproductions.

From what I can see in the picture I would not call that Colt to be in "rough" condition. "Rough" would be visible rust, no finish, and parts missing or frozen. That's the condition my rolling block above was in when I inherited it. Can you post some better pictures of it?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top