Family Firearms Passed Down

Visiting the folks down in Nevada, and my dad gave me a couple of firearms that have been in the family for quite awhile. Unfortunately, I'm on my parents computer and don't have pictures...YET...but they are coming.

1. Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver: Later model, manufactured sometime in the 1870s. All serial numbers are matching and all markings are original and legitimate. The gun is in rough shape and needs some restoration work done to it...not sure if I will, it all depends on the current value of the gun and the cost of restoration. At a minimum, I think it would be cool to get it into proper working order.

Markings
Top Barrel Flat: ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA
Left Front Side of Frame: Colts Patent
Left Side Trigger Guard: .36 Cal
Cylinder: Colts Patent No XXXX (last 4 of serial number)
Barrel, Frame, and Trigger Guard: Serial Number
Butt Strap Stamping: Serial Number

There are more markings that aren't visible without some field stripping, but I'll wait on those.

2. J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company Single Shot .22 Long Rifle: Also known as the "Old Stevens Favorite", but still researching. I did find out my grandfather traded a set of spurs for this when he was 12, in 1938. It does need a new extractor, every now and then my grandfather and dad had to use a pocket knife to pull the spent casing out. Best guess for manufacturing date, based on barrel markings is 1894-1920.

Markings
Top Right Barrel: J. Stevens A & T Co., Chicopee Falls Mass USA PAT. APR 17 94
Top Left Barrel: 22 Long Rifle
Bottom Stock Support: Serial Number

3. J. Stevens Arms Company Single Shot Break-Open 410 Shotgun: Best guess for manufacturing date, based on receiver markings is 1920-1940s. Still researching.

Markings
Top Left Barrel: Selected Forged Steel
Left Side Receiver: Stevens, The Fully Guaranteed Single Gun
Right Side Receiver: Circled 21, J. Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls Mass USA, Made in USA

It'll be fun to restore both the .22 and the 410, as the research that I have done shows they are of little monetary value. But I think my dad would love to see these restored since he learned to shoot with both of them. The 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver is a different story. I've got to find the value of this gun before I do anything, but both my dad and I would love to get this one into working order though.

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
Please don't touch the Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver before you have it appraised. It could be worth a LOT of money, but even cleaning it may destroy some of the value.

Note the price here.

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
As for the Stevens Favorite, my dad had one in about 1910 and it was truly his favorite rifle. He fired at least 500 rounds a week through it. He always wished he'd kept it.

OP
vmkeith
Reactions
I have no plans to do anything with the Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver until I have it appraised and I discuss my options with an expect. The gun is in very, very rough shape...it was definitely a working gun, it even has 14 hash marks across the top of the barrel that means the number of kills...at least that's what the "Family Lore" says...sounds cool even it's false.

As for both of the J.Stevens guns, those I will restore for my dad...it's his request, and I want them to stay in the family for a long, long time.

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
I have no plans to do anything with the Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver until I have it appraised and I discuss my options with an expect. The gun is in very, very rough shape...it was definitely a working gun, it even has 14 hash marks across the top of the barrel that means the number of kills...at least that's what the "Family Lore" says...sounds cool even it's false.

As for both of the J.Stevens guns, those I will restore for my dad...it's his request, and I want them to stay in the family for a long, long time.
I understand wanting to restore the J. Stevens guns. I had this one restored in memory of my grandfather:

RRBRestore-RtFullUpsm.jpg

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
That's a nice looking rifle...good job on the restoration. Did you do it yourself, or have it done?
I had Jim Dubell at <broken link removed> in Colville, WA do the metal work. He did the exterior cleanup, case coloring, bluing, barrel liner and rechamber for .357 Mag. I did some of the wood work and he did the oil finish. I can't say enough good stuff about Jim and his work. He's a master gun maker, specializing in custom rifles and metal work. He does a lot of restoration work on old firearms. It ended up costing me about what Pedersoli wants for one of their butt ugly reproductions.

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
From what I can see in the picture I would not call that Colt to be in "rough" condition. "Rough" would be visible rust, no finish, and parts missing or frozen. That's the condition my rolling block above was in when I inherited it. Can you post some better pictures of it?

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom