JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) "They need to be respected" (above)
Obedience can be demanded.
Fear can be sown.
Trust and respect must be earned.

The cops have earned fear, but I guess that's just as good as respect. Maybe better.
Anybody who trusts them will likely regret it.

2) The Police are always right, just ask Mas.
The purpose of the "investigation" is to create the narrative the exonerates the cop.
Take a position, then fashion a rationale to fit the conclusion.

3) Anything that calls the cops automatically is a bad idea.

4) If I screw up and shoot somebody, is it OK if I try to assist afterwards?

5) The unnamed peon is lucky they didn't charge him with assaulting a cop to cover it.

Sounds like someone who has been in trouble with the law to me. Not many professions in the world where a background investigation is completed so thoroughly as in law enforcement.

In cases where there is a OIS, a uninvolved agency is usually the lead on the investigation.

Sounds like someone who has been in trouble with the law to me.

^^^This^^^

I consistently find attitude among those that have had unpleasant encounters with LE.

I have a friend, an old high screwl buddy, that still talks about cops pouring out his case of beer when we were in high school, and about getting rousted while parked up the mountain with an underage girl... how dare they??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Going to pick on the homeowner. If you feel you need to grab your gun and go address an unknown threat, maybe call 911 before going to the door holding your gun. Tell them your address and that you think someone is trying to break in. Tell them your name and what you're wearing. The dispatcher will figure out inless than two seconds whats going on and will have the deputy call you. No one gets shot.

And yeah, I don't care how well intentioned someone was when they pointed a gun at me. If I can shoot first, I will. Totality of the circumstances and reasonable objectiveness rules. Thats why you call 911, to provide more information to determine the totality of circumstances.

Two guys I know from other agencies had similar incidents within a couple months. They were both assisting a probation officer. One of them got shot through the arm hole of his vest. A hostage was taken and also shot. A huge SWAT standoff resulted in the shooter being arrested and is now in prison.

The second guy, a few months later, put three rounds through the window and everyone went home unharmed.

Last Edited:
Maybe, but I believe cops are generally dispatched in addition to fire or EMS, since God only knows what situation they'll actually find on arrival.
Not in my town. They always send a fire engine out on ambulance calls, but I am told this is more of a union mandated money-waster than a safety thing. Usually the fire crew sits around outside while the ambulance crew goes in. I have yet to see a police cruiser respond on an ambulance call, unless it's a traffic accident.

That is not to say things don't work differently in larger cities, and I see your point.

One thing is clear: The alarm company could not tell 911 the nature of the emergency and the 911 dispatcher did not have much info for the officer.

May be a good reason not to load your cell phone up with all those nifty "free" apps. Seems like the homeowner would have known if someone in the house was in medical distress. I know my cell phone does some pretty strange things on its own from time to time. Or maybe the alarm didn't even come from that address.

Murphy's 1st law of technology: "Nothing works like it's supposed to."

Going to pick on the homeowner. If you feel you need to grab your gun and go address an unknown threat, maybe call 911 before going to the door holding your gun.
I'm guessing you meant "call 911 instead of going to the door holding your gun."

Obviously, once 911 is called, you have just handed the case over to law enforcement, and should not be walking about your house, gun in hand, when they show up.

Last Edited:
1) "Sounds like someone who has been in trouble with the law to me."
Negative.
No criminal record. Period. Never been arrested. Never had a warrant.
Your spider sense was incorrect this time.
2) "Not many professions in the world where a background investigation is completed so thoroughly as in law enforcement."
OK, but cops who screw up can just move on. Mitch Brailsford was exonerated. That doesn't mean he ought to be back out and about with the power of life and death.
I don't hate cops. I just wish to avoid to avoid coming into contact with the law. Few situations are improved by an infusion of .gov might, and I try to avoid such. It's THE LAW itself that is to be feared, since it has no connection to reality or common sense, and the police are bound to enforce it.
3) "Maybe, but I believe cops are generally dispatched in addition to fire or EMS, since God only knows what situation they'll actually find on arrival."
Calling EMS for a heart attack (which I have done) did not constitute consent for the police to search my home. And please don't give me that tired old line about line about "If you haven't done anything wrong... blah, blah blah. If you aren't an enemy of the Reich you have nothing to fear," etc. Jawohl.
I fail to see how a medical emergency constitutes probable cause for search. With the ongoing gun control Putsch I don't wish to fear calling EMS over worry about whether I have violated some malum prohibitum law nobody can understand. If I need the cops I will call 911 and ask for "police." Otherwise I do not require their assistance and they can go about the pursuit of truth, justice, and the American way where it is needed.
4) "If you feel you need to grab your gun and go address an unknown threat, maybe call 911 before going to the door holding your gun."
So, I should call 911 every time I answer the door at night? I certainly am not going to answer the door at night without holding a gun. The threat threshold for calling 911 is a lot higher than it is for answering my own door armed.
4a) "I'm guessing you meant "call 911 instead of going to the door holding your gun." Obviously, once 911 is called, you have just handed the case over to law enforcement, and should not be walking about your house, gun in hand, when they show up."
Which is why you don't call them until you have ascertained that you don't need your gun.
5) Murphy's 1st law of technology: "Nothing works like it's supposed to."
Yup, which is why if you are betting your life on technology it's probably best to bet your life on the lowest level of technology that works in the situation.
"May be a good reason not to load your cell phone up with all those nifty "free" apps."
A lot of them do things you probably aren't aware of. This is wisdom. We have a flip phone. I can live without the Net being a constant presence.

1) "Sounds like someone who has been in trouble with the law to me."
Negative.
No criminal record. Period. Never been arrested. Never had a warrant.
Your spider sense was incorrect this time.
2) "Not many professions in the world where a background investigation is completed so thoroughly as in law enforcement."
OK, but cops who screw up can just move on. Mitch Brailsford was exonerated. That doesn't mean he ought to be back out and about with the power of life and death.
I don't hate cops. I just wish to avoid to avoid coming into contact with the law. Few situations are improved by an infusion of .gov might, and I try to avoid such. It's THE LAW itself that is to be feared, since it has no connection to reality or common sense, and the police are bound to enforce it.
3) "Maybe, but I believe cops are generally dispatched in addition to fire or EMS, since God only knows what situation they'll actually find on arrival."
Calling EMS for a heart attack (which I have done) did not constitute consent for the police to search my home. And please don't give me that tired old line about line about "If you haven't done anything wrong... blah, blah blah. If you aren't an enemy of the Reich you have nothing to fear," etc. Jawohl.
I fail to see how a medical emergency constitutes probable cause for search. With the ongoing gun control Putsch I don't wish to fear calling EMS over worry about whether I have violated some malum prohibitum law nobody can understand. If I need the cops I will call 911 and ask for "police." Otherwise I do not require their assistance and they can go about the pursuit of truth, justice, and the American way where it is needed.
4) "If you feel you need to grab your gun and go address an unknown threat, maybe call 911 before going to the door holding your gun."
So, I should call 911 every time I answer the door at night? I certainly am not going to answer the door at night without holding a gun. The threat threshold for calling 911 is a lot higher than it is for answering my own door armed.
4a) "I'm guessing you meant "call 911 instead of going to the door holding your gun." Obviously, once 911 is called, you have just handed the case over to law enforcement, and should not be walking about your house, gun in hand, when they show up."
Which is why you don't call them until you have ascertained that you don't need your gun.
5) Murphy's 1st law of technology: "Nothing works like it's supposed to."
Yup, which is why if you are betting your life on technology it's probably best to bet your life on the lowest level of technology that works in the situation.
"May be a good reason not to load your cell phone up with all those nifty "free" apps."
A lot of them do things you probably aren't aware of. This is wisdom. We have a flip phone. I can live without the Net being a constant presence.

Where I work, if there is an alarm and no information, the police are likely going to show up to make sure its safe for EMS. There are also more police than EMS and the police drive a lot faster. There are many situations where the first medical treatment starts with an LEO until EMS takes over.

Where I work, if there is an alarm and no information, the police are likely going to show up to make sure its safe for EMS. There are also more police than EMS and the police drive a lot faster. There are many situations where the first medical treatment starts with an LEO until EMS takes over.

Agreed. More often than not, medical and fire will "stage" nearby waiting for law to advise if the scene is clear to enter... they want to be safe. A lot of folks don't get why law shows up to these medical calls. And, if there happens to be a unattended death, law will likely be needed for the investigation.

LEO's will never please everyone as illustrated by some here. People will always complain that they were wronged by cops, they weren't fast enough, or they didn't do what the complainant wanted etc. that's why we retire at 55! Hahaha.

Agreed. More often than not, medical and fire will "stage" nearby waiting for law to advise if the scene is clear to enter... they want to be safe. A lot of folks don't get why law shows up to these medical calls. And, if there happens to be a unattended death, law will likely be needed for the investigation.

LEO's will never please everyone as illustrated by some here. People will always complain that they were wronged by cops, they weren't fast enough, or they didn't do what the complainant wanted etc. that's why we retire at 55! Hahaha.

6 more years and I have 20. I'll just park the retirement til Im old enough to draw from it. Go sell insurance or some schit.

I don't know, the cop had ample defensive area to retreat to, call for back up and gather more intel. He had to ride up and fire through that arrowloop window to shoot the home owner.
Whoever in this thread said don't point your gun at anything you dont wish to destroy in reference to the home owner. remember dont shoot at anything without knowing what is beyond it.
If it was a bad guy the cop was engaging maybe there could have been hostages in the line of fire.

Retirement is absolutely wonderful if you plan for it and have sufficient resources. I am guessing that a cop has a decent pension, so why wouldn't you retire when you can? I speak from experience. Having your life to live with the people you love is every bit as great as it seems like it would be. I wish I could have retired at 55. Life is too short to spend any more of it working than you have to.

Retirement is absolutely wonderful if you plan for it and have sufficient resources. I am guessing that a cop has a decent pension, so why wouldn't you retire when you can? I speak from experience. Having your life to live with the people you love is every bit as great as it seems like it would be. I wish I could have retired at 55. Life is too short to spend any more of it working than you have to.

I can't draw til 55, but I'll have 20 at 42. I could do something else for another 20 and have two retirements plus my savings and property investments. That's the goal anyway. My kid is 2 and will be 13 when the house is paid-off. She won't know it, but she'll have plenty of help for college or property if she isn't an idiot.

I don't know, the cop had ample defensive area to retreat to, call for back up and gather more intel. He had to ride up and fire through that arrowloop window to shoot the home owner.
Whoever in this thread said don't point your gun at anything you dont wish to destroy in reference to the home owner. remember dont shoot at anything without knowing what is beyond it.
If it was a bad guy the cop was engaging maybe there could have been hostages in the line of fire.

There's no one here that reveres the Men in Blue as much as I do. Having said that, there's something about an officer shooting from the outside of a persons home to the inside with out proof that a violent, dangerous person is in range is screwed up. Sucks for the officer, for sure. But they're the ones paid to take the risk. If police start shooting through people's entryway into their home because the resident is holding a gun, we have a serious problem.

Sounds like someone who has been in trouble with the law to me. Not many professions in the world where a background investigation is completed so thoroughly as in law enforcement.
I got in trouble with the law. DOT gave me a violation for having a GPS on my windshield, outside of the so called swiper zone he claimed it was in.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top