JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hard to imagine it was a full 30 years ago. The beginning of the end for the Soviet Union and the liberation of many enslaved peoples. I was still a young person then, but understood the significance, and I still remember it vividly today.

Here is to freedom and human dignity. And death to Communism. :s0155:

I was in Germany at the time. News broke on AFN, Armed Forces Network, if I recall. It was a shock to everyone. We had planned a trip to Check Point Charlie. Day late and a Mark short.

I was stationed in Berlin for a bit , on paper at least...was sent on TDY to a different unit...but that is a story for another day.
At any rate....the differences between East and West was huge...lots of history there for sure.

My dad was also stationed there ...he has photos of the wire that became the Wall and I have photos of the Wall coming down.
All I really can say about Communism is , If it was so great...why were there miles of razor wire , walls and mines , not to forget the millions of guards , all to keep folks in those countries...?

The East Berlin uprising of 1953 is worth a look into...
Andy

All I really can say about Communism is , If it was so great...why were there miles of razor wire , walls and mines , not to forget the millions of guards , all to keep folks in those countries...?

Well said.

402bd8675f24779076a9cd3bda--high-walls-berlin-wall.jpg

Very cool video @DivCurlGrad72. I am reminded of very close family friends, both of them sadly long gone, of which the wife was ethnic German and the man a retired American aviator. The aforementioned took part in the Berlin airlift and helped the besieged city. After the fall, they both went over to see the newly liberated city. The gentleman knew of my interest in history, though I was still an adolescent, and brought me back a piece of the wall. Most assuredly interesting to me and I'm thankful for the gesture. :)

I was at Checkpoint Charlie in '77 or '78. Surreal seeing something you've only seen in pictures and news reels. First time I had actually seen soviet military personnel up close. Funny thing was, I never really had any fear at that time. Blind Mans Bluff seemed more of a technical exercise.

We were working swing shift that night, when we got off shift we headed down to Brandenburg Gate and went right up on the Wall and dropped to the East German side to wander around a bit, very surreal.
The West side of the Wall looked like a huge street party - news crews, hoards of people, lights, very festive.
The East side was total opposite. East German boarder guards looked so lost, they had no idea what to do. The East Berliners, slowly started to come to the area...deer in the head lights look. We walking up to several and introduced ourselves...the reaction was priceless, you would think they just saw an alien. To think that there were Americans in East Berlin in the middle of the night! Can't blame them though after being oppressed for so long.
Still have pieces of the Wall in my closet.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top