JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Caught this one last weekend..
Gonna try again tomorrow

20171028_084743.jpg

It took me a long time and wet line to find
this place
I have to take the photos as to not show the hole, but I will say somewhere on the salmon river

pdx,

I am envious of you NW guys. Maybe someday I will get out your way for a fishing trip. I have some good friends in Tualatin OR. who fish a lot. I had to laugh last year even though at the time it was not funny to them. I guess they had a good fish on out there and some Seal came up grabbed the fish and took it! WOW! Is that common?
However, in Tennessee we have some great fishing of another kind here on the lake. (Dale Hollow - 650 Miles of Shoreline) Home of the world record Small Mouth Bass. They average here from around 19" to 22" with once in a while 24". Still hoping to catch a record bigger than the record!:D We also have Lake Trout, Walleye, Large Mouth Bass and an occasional Muskie, Crappie and Blue Gills. But looking forward to someday a trip to the NW. "Great Fish and Photo!"

Small Mouth Jan. 2013 Dale Hollow.JPG

RE: The Fish-On and the Seal. The worst thing that comes to mind is when a Sea Lion comes up and all it takes is the entire belly and you're stuck with the rest. The Law says if it's Dead you have to keep it and what's left counts towards your limit! THAT really SUCKS!

pdx,

I am envious of you NW guys. Maybe someday I will get out your way for a fishing trip. I have some good friends in Tualatin OR. who fish a lot. I had to laugh last year even though at the time it was not funny to them. I guess they had a good fish on out there and some Seal came up grabbed the fish and took it! WOW! Is that common?
However, in Tennessee we have some great fishing of another kind here on the lake. (Dale Hollow - 650 Miles of Shoreline) Home of the world record Small Mouth Bass. They average here from around 19" to 22" with once in a while 24". Still hoping to catch a record bigger than the record!:D We also have Lake Trout, Walleye, Large Mouth Bass and an occasional Muskie, Crappie and Blue Gills. But looking forward to someday a trip to the NW. "Great Fish and Photo!"

View attachment 403618

If you come up this way, don't forget that we too have great fishing for smallmouth and blue ribbon walleye fishing!

I guess they had a good fish on out there and some Seal came up grabbed the fish and took it! WOW! Is that common?

At times there are so many fur bags in the Willamette River just below Willeamette falls that 50% of the spring chinook hooked will be grabed/chased by them. The Willamette flows into the Columbia at Portland. I don't fish it because of the crowds, and the sea lions. From what I hear, when someone hooks a salmon in that area no one in the boat should stand up, shout or show a net. The guy with the fish on has to crank as hard as he can, and at the last second the net guy will jump up with the net and scoop the fish. Fisherman that anchor along side each other in "Hog Lines" will have the fur bags just hang out below them waiting for someone to hook a fish then steel it. A couple three years ago a guy in the lower Willamette had a salmon grabbed that was IN THE NET. It about took the netters finger that were in the mesh of the net to bring the fish aboard, and could have very well pulled him into the river over the gunnel. We call 'em "Seal Huggers", the ones that fight ANY measures to eliminate or reduce the numbers of these beasts at choke points for salmon, such as below dams, at the entrance to fish ladders etc.

So to answer your question, YES, it's very common in some places.

Last Edited:
At the falls it is very common, thats why i drive to the coast.
Even there your not safe, but they arent in rhe rivers....
Oh yeah, for the addicts,
Chum r runnin!!!!!!

When I first moved to the PNW I was about to enter Grade School. All the kids were so excited that Fishing Season was about to open and having come from NW Minnesota I too was looking forward to some Great fishing. Then they burst my Bubble by telling me that we would be fishing for Trout and that a "Keeper" was anything over Six inches (6"). You see we had been fishing for large Northern Pikes and Muskellunge using:eek::eek::eek: 9" Suckers!!!

When I first moved to the PNW I was about to enter Grade School. All the kids were so excited that Fishing Season was about to open and having come from NW Minnesota I too was looking forward to some Great fishing. Then they burst my Bubble by telling me that we would be fishing for Trout and that a "Keeper" was anything over Six inches (6"). You see we had been fishing for large Northern Pikes and Muskellunge using:eek::eek::eek: 9" Suckers!!!

Yeah-butt, We don't need to wait for 3' of ice to melt to get to those 6"ers, actually I think it's 8". But I know what you mean. I grew up in UTAH fishing trout waters that are now, 30 years later, call "Blue Ribbon" something or other. I was spoiled to say the least. Browns, Brook, Rainbow/Cut-bow. We wouldn't have thought about keeping 8'ers, unless we were camping in the high country. Above 6000' or something.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top