JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've used my mom's lever action 30-30 off of her back porch. Too bad mhnf is closed for shooting/hunting right now.
I have not killed a bear since probably the mid 90s, I was 10 or eleven. Tasty huckleberry fed sumbubblegum.

Edited to add/correct content as opposed to new post.

My set up is probably good enough for a complete pass through shot on a blackie out to 150 yds or so as it stays supersonic out to that range and I have done penetration tests on this particular bullet at subsonic speeds and it was impressive. I am not comparing it to a 30-06. But I am saying it is more than enough for hunting a black bear out to 150 yds or so. The same bullet out of a revolver at 1275 fps or so would stay super sonic out to 75 plus yds. So I would say a 44 mag revolver is enough for black bear out to 75 yds or so. Hell if your brave enough a spear would work at close range.:)

Last Edited:
I've used my mom's lever action 30-30 off of her back porch. Too bad mhnf is closed for shooting/hunting right now.
I have not killed a bear since probably the mid 90s, I was 10 or eleven. Tasty huckleberry fed sumbubblegum.

Not closed to hunting, just target shooting.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd588722.pdf

I may head up after work sometime next week and see what happens.

Last Edited:
That's a 257 Weatherby he's snuggling with. E4D8CBC4-F8F3-4CF0-80D5-EE491F2F66B9.jpeg

The energy of a .308 at 1001yards is roughly equal to a .357 at point blank. Puts a little prospective on it.

Will a 44 work on bear. Sure if you have a good angle and get good shot placement. Also don't run into the bear that I saw and took out 4 strands of barb wire.

A handgun is silly to use to hunt bear........... carry for defense is one thing, hunting is another. Defense is going to be close.........hunting usually isn't. Even at that, what does a 44 Mag have, 1/2 the energy of a 30-06? Leave the cowboy fantasies for the range......take a real gun hunting.

Says the guy that's probably never handgun hunted.
.357 hasn't failed me yet for deer and black bear. A .44 would just be extra assurance.
Saw one this weekend, but couldn't get a decent shot off. There's still some lingering Salal berries on the south coast, and that's where I found him feeding. I'll be back out in a couple weeks.

The energy of a .308 at 1001yards is roughly equal to a .357 at point blank. Puts a little prospective on it.

Will a 44 work on bear. Sure if you have a good angle and get good shot placement. Also don't run into the bear that I saw and took out 4 strands of barb wire.

Of course .308 is more powerful. But do you need it? Nope.
At 50 yards a hardcast .357 will pass through a black bear.

Of course .308 is more powerful. But do you need it? Nope.
At 50 yards a hardcast .357 will pass through a black bear.

My point was the vast difference between the platforms. Around here black bears are normally taken under 60-50 yards. Rifle, pistol, arrow or cannon.

Shot placement is what counts.

A few years back a friend of mine and his wife had a garden in town. This black tail buck kept jumping the fence and eating everything.

He took out his BB gun to chase him away. One random misplaced :eek: shot right through the eye dropped him dead on the strawberries.

If "mhnf" mean Mt. Hood National Forest, that is incorrect. Hunting is still good in the forest, just no target shooting. I have been hunting in the heat and dry, just be careful. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd588722.pdf.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top